Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Leaks (Vsg)

Hi I am new, first post actually and I have been going through a lot of information on this site but I have a question that I have not really seen the answer for-trying not to be too repetitive. Those of you that have had leaks from the gastric sleeve surgery: how did you know? how did it feel? I am assuming you had to go back in for surgery to remedy the problem? That is my only worry about my upcoming surgery and although I can see it is not common, I'm still worried. Thank you soooo much for your time, in advance. :rolleyes:

I had shoulder pain and a cough which turned out to be the abscess irritating my diaphragm. That didn't clue anyone in. What actually finally clued someone in was a high ferritin level in my labs - was referred to a hematolgist who did a CT of my chest, thinking lung cancer. He happened to see the abscess in my upper abdomen. I did have a second surgery but only to clear the abscess and place the feeding tube and drain. Fixing a leak with surgery seems to be last resort. Usually they take you completely off food and fluids or restrict your diet quite a bit, sometimes placing stents. I was put on feeding tube only, nothing by mouth and it was allowed to heal on it's own. Hope that answers some questions for you.

Thank you. That did answer my question. Thank God you didn't have cancer- jeeez. All the best to you on your journey.

i threw up bile 2x within a 2week period. i was sent for 2nd swallow test & it showed a leak

From my research back and shoulder pain is the first symptoms. Stints are the common fix with a very controlled diet. And a very high antibiotics regimine. I never had a leak but I read alot about it not just on here but obesityhelp and 2 other forums. Chances are slim. But I see that leaks occur more by US Doctors.

But thats just from my research.

Thanks for more replies. I check this thread ever so often. :-)