Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lowcarb High Protein Pre-Op Diet :-/

Hi Everyone I started my pre-op diet Sunday and I've been having a really hard time with carbs my son had some of those fried popcorn chicken bites and I ate one I just couldn't resist now I feel awful and I feel like I suck at this because Im not great at the label reading all I know is under 30 carbs a day this sucks but I know its going to get better anyone with any advice,recipes etc please let me know thank you !!!

Well to help you out, I'd at least get one of my meals in with a high Protein, low carb shake like Pure Protein 100% whey Protein Shake, or Muscle Man shakes. Start eliminating the temptation for high carbs. Eat more chicken, Turkey, cheese, eggs, broths, avoid bread, popcorn etc. and sign up for something like myfitnesspal.com so you can keep track of how much protein/carbs you are getting.

Many of us have to do high Protein Shakes only for 2 weeks prior to surgery and we don't get any solid foods. Use this time to lower your carb intake. You need to lower carb to shrink your liver.

Before you eat, look it up on myfitnesspal.com - which will help you also keep track of your Proteins & your Water intake. Starting pre-surgery will set you up for success after surgery. For help in checking our calories/carbohydrates you can also try http://www.calorieking.com/foods/ but I highly suggest signing up for myfitnesspal.com

I wouldn't fret too much. Just pick up and move on. As a side note, my diet is called high protein/low carb but my instructions say I can have up to 120 carbs a day. To me, 120 carbs makes no sense at all, but that is what my paperwork says. However, my daily meals and Snacks are: 2 shakes, 2 high Protein Snacks, 5 oz. of low fat meat and 2 cups of non carb veggies. There's no way I'd eat anywhere near those amount of carbs if I follow that. I did and am at only 33 carbs for the day. I too recommend My Fitness Pal. It's a very good way to track everything.

Best of luck to you!

The first few days are the hardest!! I also low carbed for my pre-op diet and lost 17 lbs. To me it's the easiest diet to follow; I always had salad mix available and I grilled chicken or turkey burgers on my Foreman every night! I never skimped on dressing and always had Atkins bars on hand for when I had a sweet tooth! Get rid of all the crap in your house that you should not be eating!! Out of sight... out of mind!!!

The first few days are the hardest!! I also low carbed for my pre-op diet and lost 17 lbs. To me it's the easiest diet to follow; I always had salad mix available and I grilled chicken or turkey burgers on my Foreman every night! I never skimped on dressing and always had Atkins bars on hand for when I had a sweet tooth! Get rid of all the crap in your house that you should not be eating!! Out of sight... out of mind!!!

Thanks for the information.

When did you start your Pre-Op diet? 2 weeks before surgery?

What are some other tips you can give for Pre-Op/Post-Op survival?

I'm really concerned bc I'm having my cycle and having all sorts of cravings. I'm having single incision surgery which really requires a small liver.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I started my pre-op diet about a month before surgery. I didn't have too but I committed to losing a certain amount of weight and I wanted to keep my word. For me, I knew that low carb was the way to go. I was given options as far as pre-op diets and I'm glad that low carb was one of them. Everybody has different cravings but I didn't seem to have an issue.. If I was craving sweets I would have some sugar free Jello with some sugar free cool whip. Or I would eat at Atkins peanut bar which tasted similar to a Snickers. You have to stay inventive when dieting or else you will get bored and revert right back to your old habits. So, variety was the key for me. I definitely had some foods that were always around and every night I looked forward to my big grilled chicken salad with Caesar or Ranch dressing. :)

I guess my pre-op diet is going fine I've lost 14 pounds since Sunday I'm so amazed I wish I had known about lowcarb diet a long time ago :-)

For me, I found it easier to stay on the diet if I ate things packed with flavor and foods that I loved. That way I didn't feel deprived. I would slice a pepperoncini open and put some feta cheese in it. Soooo good. I always have shrimp on hand and would pan cook some with garlic or cajun seasoning. Again, it's packed with flavor. I did the same with chicken and sometimes would make a dup out of greek yogurt for the chicken and shrimp. I kept food interesting, so I really didn't feel deprived.

Omelets are a great way to feel like you're eating like a king without too many carbs. I make one with 3 egg whites, cheese, veggies and 1 piece of turkey bacon and it's soooo delicious, but under 200 calories.

When I want pizza, I microwave some pepperoni pieces to render out the fat and make them crispy. Then a add a dollop of sauce and a slice from low fat string cheese and micrwave again. This make little pizza bits that are very low carb and cures the craving.

you can do the same with salami. Microwave it until crisp and use a paper towel to soak up the rendered fat, then top with some provolone or eat as it.

buffalo chicken dip.....shred some cooked chicken, add hot sauce or buffalo sauce, a little bit of ranch or blue cheese and cheddar. Bake until bubbly. I use celery sticks to scoop it.