Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im Having A Hard Time Adjusting.

The thing that has freaked me out the most, at least to date, is when I was in a stressful/high anxiety situation and the realization that I was not going to be able to shove down what I was feeling with food and I couldn't run to the kitchen I honestly and truly felt like a cornered animal. I was scared, didn't know what to do, and was kind of flipping out for a few moments. Then I did the only thing I could think of, I went for a walk. Not only did it help relieve the anxiety and help calm me down, it allowed me to clear my head, mull the situation over in my mind, and resolve it. I ended up feeling calmer, but most of all, I felt extremely empowered by taking control of the situation rather than medicating myself with food.< /p>

I know my journey is just beginning and I have many more moments ahead of me, but I feel better knowing that I handled the first one without "falling off the wagon" and feel I can probably do it again.

I am 6 weeks post op and am having a hard time. This is definitely about more than just food, for me it's affected everything. My relationships, my attitude and my stress levels. Did anyone else have a hard time or can you provide some advice?

While I have not been sleeved as of yet I have had the experience of going from life as an obese person to life at normal weight and can say that my experience was quite a ride. People will react differently to you and you will react differently to yourself. I spent my childhood being teased and ridiculed and had a defensive attitude because of it. I didn't like the way I looked and I was ashamed of myself. I didn't feel like dressing up when the person under the clothing didn't look good. It took some time to adjust and it was continuous for a while. It did get easier.

The matter of running to food as an escape was also an issue but I got over it. At a healthy weight taking a walk is a lot more fun. Likewise, there are any number of non-food-related activities that will benefit you. Find something you've always wanted to do and go for it.

Besides that, you are going through big changes in your body chemistry. The hormonal changes directly associated with surgery are only part of it. Adipose tissue is a great place for toxins to hide so you can experience some problems from that but they will pass. Your body has probably felt like it was starving for a long time and now it's not feeling that way anymore. You probably have changes in your insulin levels, perhaps lower blood sugar than you've had in years and with things in flux you are bound to have some ups and downs.

It may be that some friends will not know how to react. When I lost weight as a kid the biggest change was my social life. I felt like I fit in for the first time in my life and I had adjustments to make. Sometimes I came on too strong because of my newfound social confidence. Other times I interpreted the actions of others negatively be cause I had been so accustomed to being treated badly. It tiook a while to learn the new rules of facing life as a fairly normal-sized person.

It will get better.

It is like when a drug addict is in recovery and all the feelings they avoided with drugs come flooding out when no longer using. I think it had been easier for me because I am a therapist and most of my friends are so I have a great support system I have been thinking of seeing people who have either hadwls or considering it my dr thinks it is a great idea since most therapists have not gone through this it is important to find another healthy coping technique alot of time people trade one addiction for another

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

Crazy thing for me is if the scale would just have gone down 200g every 2 days I would have been happy....but it doesnt.It is when I get on the scale and it is not moving when my anxieties of the stresss at the moment in my life gets the better of me and I feel so out of control.

When people have had only food as there default or addiction it is one thing but some of us have had several of those and not reverting back to the others is even harder,because unlike eating,which we cant do anymore....the other ones I still can.

I have been smoking for the past few days even though I know it is super bad for my sleeve and now he catch 22 is,when I stop I want to eat even worse than before.

Crazy the stupid things we do to ourselves when we dont use externals,good things as coping skills.

Aviiva,gr8 idea to help people thats sleeved.You know what the difficulties are and every sleever needs some sort of therapy I believe.

It's so weird, too... Yesterday I was totally fine. But today, I'm SO grouchy! I started crying just because my kid had to eat. and I want toast! I don't even care about toast, but that's what I'm craving... It's frustrating and emotional...

It's so weird' date=' too... Yesterday I was totally fine. But today, I'm SO grouchy! I started crying just because my kid had to eat. and I want toast! I don't even care about toast, but that's what I'm craving... It's frustrating and emotional...[/quote']

I know it's a cliche but keep your eye on the prize. Things will even out for you over time.