Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

OMG! I just ate 3 pcs of French bread at lunch and had no problem. I know, I know... I shouldn't have. Can anyone hear the alarms going off?

Bread - man I miss bread! I probably would have done the exact same thing if I could but if I did at my present fill level I would be begging for someone to put me out of my misery.

What is your current fill level? As expensive as they are a fill would probably help you out. I still have TONS of cravings for various things (the band hasn't done a damn thing for my head hunger) but over time I learned that the peice of bread or cake is just not worth the pain.

I actually notice now that I feel a little sense of fullness when I eat. I have to concentrate on the food and make myself aware of my eating though....can't just chew away.

I noticed in a lunch meeting today that I had eaten a cup of low-fat yogurt with some granola (mushy) mixed in. Upon looking at that I realized that I had been talking and eating and suddenly it dawned on me that I had that sensation.

The soreness I felt was actually in the opening to my big stomach. I have had mushies and liquids since being at the doctors on Monday. My band felt a little irritated when I went in. Had I lived in town I might have rescheduled but I live 3 hours away from my doc in Houston so I drove in the night before and wanted to make it a profitable trip. At least now I know I didn't really need a fill, I just need to get back to basics and work a little harder.

I'm not thrilled about the Protein shakes....I would rather eat the protein and have to hold back throughout the rest of the day. I just haven't been getting enough protein lately and was living off too many carbs. I also only use them at work. I've got to have a source of protein to get myself through the morning. I don't always get a chance to sit down and eat Breakfast (Lord knows I can't get up in time to do it!) so I guess I'll use them for now.

By the way...did someone say bread? Oh my gosh, I cannot imagine eating a piece. I took a bite of someone's meatloaf sandwich one day, chewed a billion times and then thought I was going to die!

I did find a bread in the frozen foods section.."Ezekiel something" that works in small amounts (eg. half slice.) It is made completely from "grain sprouts" and has no flour in it. I don't know how it works but it tastes pretty good and has low carbs/high protein. Down side...it's over $3.00 per loaf.

Thanks ladies for your support and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Oh, one NSV...I walked/ran for 30 minutes last night. One block of running, one block of walking etc. and didn't absolutely die from it. I can actually run over a minute now. Cool... =)

Tami, didn't you tell me that your DH and you are both dieting?

Yep, and it definitely makes a big difference. In previous diet phases, I'd either end up cooking two meals or feeling guilty for not serving my family their favorite meals. I accused my hubby of sabotaging me a few times, and since we were paying out of our own pocket for the surgery, he didn't want to do it again! My 16-year old daughter is kinda going back and forth on the "healthy foods" bandwagon. She wants to lose about 40 lbs., but some days she does turn up her nose at what I'm serving. I just ignore it, because I know it's better for her than chicken fingers! If I'd been cooking like this for the past 16 years, none of us would have a weight problem. By the way, her best incentive is that I'm getting close to being able to wear her clothes! :madgrin:

Tami

Jan 10

15" walk with dogs

25" elliptical

30" Cybex, lower body & core

B: 1 c. Kashi; 1/2 c. 1% milk, coffee w/ LF Creamora and S&L

L: About 3 oz. leftover smothered chicken; Italian veggies

D: 3 oz. Greek-style grouper w/spinach & feta

S: NF, SF yogurt; wedge Laughing Cow Lite

TamifromAL: That's fabulous!!! I would dearly love to get to the point that I could swap clothes with my daughter! She weighs around 125. Both of my kids are slender. Both wish I were too. I hope I'm going to be able to make them proud. So far on this LB journey, I think they are.

My DD doesn't eat meat and I worry about her getting enough Protein. My DS doesn't eat a whole lot of anything at one sitting, so small quantities of food are his forte. I never made them eat what my DH and I were having so they have always kind of done their own thing. Even when they were very young. I came from a family that are all huge and unhealthy and whose lives have always been centered around bad foods, so I knew I was no role model for my own kids and didn't know how to cook the healthy way. So they are doing fine in spite of my failures, God Bless them!

My DH seems to be holding back and continues to not want to eat what I'm eating. I think he's been through so many diets with me in the past that he doesn't really believe this is "it" for me. I hope that he will join me soon because I know it will be easier for me and it will sure be healthier for him!

I have been to 2 Water aerobics classes this week and have another one on Friday. It's amazing how good it is making me feel about myself. I am sure that in a couple of weeks of this, it will start producing results. If it weren't for this St. Patty's Day challenge, I don't think I would have talked myself into doing this class. Woo, hoo for this forum!!

BJean: Way to go! I've gone to 2 Water aerobics classes this week too. I am going to go to a deep water class on Saturday. I love water aerobics. You can't tell you're working hard until you get out of the water, but I've got the sore muscles to prove it.

Shhh...don't everybody talk at once! Seriously, ya'll are way too quiet!

I'm just doin' my daily check in...hope everybody is doing well, and that ya'll have a great weekend!

Tami

1/11

No exercise

B: 1 c. Kashi Go Lean Crunch; 1/2 c. 1% milk; coffee w/LF Creamora & S&L

L: 3 oz. foil-pack chicken; 1 rice cake; 2 T. LF Peanut Butter

D: Outback: 1/2 Caesar salad; 2 oz. or so tilapia; 2 bites steamed veggies

S: NF, SF Yogurt

Karey: I agree that you can't tell you've had a work out until later. It does feel good though. I missed my class tonight for a very good reason, but I hated to miss it. You are doing well with your weight loss! Way to go.

Tami: You're like my DH in that you can stick to a routine for breakfast that is working. I get bored if I have the same thing 2 days in a row. Reading what you had for dinner makes me feel confident that my band isn't adjusted properly. I am able to eat too much without feeling the least bit uncomfortable. Of course just because you kept your intake at Outback very low, it may have been your willpower, not the band. But whatever the reason, you're sure an inspriration. I'm enjoying reading all the data you bring to us. Keep up the great work! (That talapia dish at Outback is really good.) BTW, if you have a Johnnie Carrino's near you, they have a really great new dish. It's cedar plank salmon with an excellent angel hair Pasta and sauteed spinach side. I highly recommend it.

BJean, yep, I'm a creature of habit! I was on an oatmeal kick for a couple of months, but now it's Kashi time!

As for the Outback meal, I gotta admit that my conservative intake wasn't because of willpower! That fish was awesome! Unfortunately, I got a little bit stuck after the first couple of bites, and since I had already had salad, that was it for dinner. But, I had the rest for lunch, and it was *still* yummy! I don't touch salmon, though. I know it's so healthy, but I must have had a bad salmon experience as a kid or something...maybe mom's salmon pattys :) But, I can't touch the stuff!

Tami

Oh man! Your mom did the salmon patty bit too? I suffered from the same phobia for a long time. I still think that it is awfully strong when I get it in restaurants, most of the time. The cedar plank salmon that I mentioned is a far cry from our mom's salmon patties!!

Wanna hear something I've never confessed before, to anyone? When she made her salmon patties, from canned salmon (yuk), she removed the bones and gave them to me to eat!!! No, I can't believe it either. Wonder what nutrients and calories canned, soft, salmon bones have? Probably some kind of mercury poison or something. LOL

You guys are funny! I went snowshoeing again today. It kicked butt! It was 19 degrees out, but I wasn't at all cold. It's really a work out and beautiful out in the park. No horefrost however! Since my last fill I'm starting to feel restriction, or rather discomfort when I eat anything dry. This is not limited to chicken, either. Bran Cereal and halibut also caused me problems. Last night for the first time, I PB'd and then I threw up 3 times. It was painful and awful. I was careful today, about chewing the heck out of my food but I could still feel a little tightness. Even though I'm experiencing this, I still don't feel full when I eat. What gives? Do I just need to deal with hunger as a part of this process? I'm getting frustrated, plus the more I exercise, the more my appetite has picked up. Any suggestions?

My meals today:

Breakfast- Protien drink, 1/3 c. berries, Pero

Snack- Fiber One Honey Clusters, 1c., 3.5 oz. skim milk

lunch out- meat loaf, about 3 ounces, 2 slices of Tomato, 1 bite of a roll

Snack- Dannon Light & Fit yogurt, pero

Dinner- Healthy Choice, Sweet & Sour chicken

Too much food or too little? I was still hungry. It seems that late afternoons are the worst.

Anyway, maybe I'll try posting my menus for a while.

canned, soft, salmon bones

:) OMG, that's it!! I had blocked those bones from my memory until you mentioned it. Now I know why I can't eat salmon. And I will not even think about the fact that you ate them! :hungry: ewwwww Gee, if I ever start back sliding with my eating, maybe I could buy a can of salmon and poke the bones or something. That would be enough to keep me from eating for a couple of days. :laugh

Karey, I haven't yet had the wonderful experience of PBing, but I know that having one can make the stoma swell for a while afterwards. That's probably why you're still a bit challenged today. Some people stick with liquids for at least one meal (sometimes a day) after a bad episode to rest the stoma. Even though I haven't PB'd, I do have trouble with dry foods, too. I got a little stuck on foil-pack chicken and on the tilapia this week. It helps if I have a little "food-lube" like gravy or sauce.

For the hunger, have you ever tried Water loading? I read about it on another lap band site. It's apparently a technique that's recommended for RNY patients that's also effective for banders. You basically drink as much Water as you can about 15" before eating. It supposedly helps with hunger, even long after you eat. Might be worth a try!

I've also noticed my hunger picking up with more exercise. I'm fortunate to have a flexible schedule, and so I try to work out at the times that I get hungry (11 am or 3pm). If I'm busy exercising, I don't notice the hunger, and then I'm not hungry for an hour or so afterwards. Maybe it's the endorphins or the extra water I'm drinking while I exercise. I dunno...but it works.

By the way, what's pero?

Tami

1/12/07

30" elliptical

30" Cybex, upper body

B: 1 c. Kashi Go Lean Crunch; 1/2 c. 1% milk; coffee w/LF Creamora and S&L

L: Taco Bell pintos & cheese; leftover tilapia

S: Pretzel chips; 2 gl. red wine

D: 3-1/2 oz. hamburger patty; 1/2 oz. Velveeta light; 1/4 c. grilled onions and mushrooms

I've been trying to do the Water loading thing because it worked for me when I wasn't dieting, to help with not overeating.

However with the band, if I drink very much Water as close as 15 min. before my meal, I will get the "stuck pain" with the first bite of food. I have to drink water further out from the meal than that. I try to remember to drink at least a 16 oz. bottle of water a couple of hours after the meal, but I find that very hard to remember to do. Before the band, I tried to drink a bottle of water right before a meal and that really helped. Now that I can't do it that way, it's much harder to find a way to incorporate the water with it not affecting the tightness and PB's when I eat.

If you have a secret that I don't know about for handling this, please clue me in. Thanx.

P.S. Karey the snowshoeing sounds fantastic! I remember the first time I went cross country skiing. What a novice! I wore my downhill ski clothes and before long I got really hot. I stopped for a minute and unzipped my jacket at the top... steam poured out! It was uncomfortable and embarrassing, but hilarious. Never made that mistake again. I would imagine that snow shoeing is possibly even more demanding than cross country skiing?

I have a friend that lives in Vail and is in a group of snowshoeing women. She's 60 years old and thin as a rail. She attributes her svelt body to snowshoeing in the winter and tennis in the summer. Beeotch.