Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet "cheating" Question

Soooo....I've been doing a diet consisting of 2 Protein Shakes & 1 salad with Protein a day, for 2 weeks before surgery (May 15th).

I've lost 6.5 lb in about 10 days and have only "cheated" once by taking a few mouthfuls of some sunflower seeds in a weak moment.

According to my BMI, My surgeon only requires me to do a 3 day diet before surgery, which would start tomorrow. Which brings me to my question:

I've seriously been craving a certain fast food restaurant. Should I go by there today and pig out since its my last chance basically ever? Since I don't even have to be on this diet at this point anyway what would it really hurt?

The little devil on your shoulder is talking smack to you! It's not your last chance "basically ever" to eat food from that restaurant. You will be able to eat anything your little heart desires once you're back on solid foods... and that's not that far away.

You made an intelligent, informed decision to start the diet early. Why ruin that effort by having junk food now? Hold fast to what you know is right for you and for your best surgical outcome. SKIP the fast food today. Have an extra Protein shake, or a small serving of lean Protein tonight and know that you protected yourself from temptation.

Hold tight! This will be over before you know it!! :)

I re-read my post and I'm totally trying to justify it and make it okay lol.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Lissa - you seem to always have something good to say :)

Melissa, I've been there and done that. And, I probably posted, or at least thought, something similar when I was at the stage where you are now. :) I think it's great that people were there to support me when I was going through the pre-surgery jitters, and I'm happy to pass that along to someone else. In a few months, YOU will be the one passing along support and information to the new sleevers. It's just the way it works around here.

Can't wait until you're on the loser's bench with us!! :)

Avoid the fast food!

Be strong and yes Lissa is always right, lol.

The"pig out today for tomorrrow we starve" philosophy was a standard fixture in my former failed dieting attempts. I had to get into the right frame of mind about food. The seriousness of the operation caused me to think hard about my thinking.

I realized that food could be either my servant or my executioner. Pigging out is surrendering to it's power. I saw that I had to quit overeating like I did smoking, develop a hatred for it. Being fat kicked my butt daily for many years like a relentless bully. It robbed my happiness and was working on killing me. It stole time from my family and made me reach far less than my potential. Overeating is my mortal enemy, I most certainly do not want to entertain him "just one more time".

Eating small is the same as eating big only not destructive. Same taste, just less of it. It looks like your mind is setting right on this. Good for you!

lolololololol this post is so funny. I totally did that and please don't listen to me because I may be a bad influence on this issue. Listen to Lissa.

My brother and sister in law will be getting sleeved the same day by Dr Garcia!! And I wouldn't "pig out", but if you are still able to eat, I would definitely have a taste. ;)

Hopefully you will get to meet my brother and SIL. Good luck to you!

Are you talking about Cassie & her husband?

Yes! Guess you have met them! :) My mom will be there with them. I am glad you got to "meet" them so at least you all will know someone there! How exciting!

Lol yes! That's funny :) We'll probably be hanging out waiting for our surgeries together lol.

Here's how I think of it. The weight you've lost so far is going to be fluids - the vast majority of it anyway. Once those initial Fluid losses are gone, you can actually start seeing numbers that reflect fat loss (well, kind of, but that's another post). So which would you enjoy more: knowing post-op that the dropping numbers are increasingly reflecting fat loss, or knowing that post-op, the dropping numbers are losing the same fluids for the 2nd time? :)

Whatever fast food it is you're wanting, you can have it as soon as you're at a "as tolerated" state. Nothing is a never again.

Avoid the fast food!

Be strong and yes Lissa is always right, lol.

Lissa is NOT always right! :)

Just to update you all - I'm home now and I did NOT go to Sonic to eat lol. Ive just had my two shakes today and I'm planning an awesome salad with friends for tonight for dinner, then it's liquids until surgery Tuesday! Nervous!!!

Bah, the only thing good at Sonic anyway are the strawberry limeades and cheddar bites. ;) Esp since they did away with the cheddar peppers. You didn't miss anything, and now your superego can give itself two big thumbs up.