Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Don't Regret The Sleeve Surgery, But....

Okay' date=' I have to ask this... I'm 4 months post surgery, 70 lbs down, and I haven't had a single Protein shake since those miserable pre-surgery liquid diet days. Are these essential? Why are they so highly regarded? Is this something I'm totally missing out on? Please excuse my stupidity here! :)[/quote']

Like willow said the shakes help you get the most amount of Protein in at once just don't go over 50 g at one sitting. I also eat a lot of beef Jerky. Only thing with that is there is slot of sodium so you have to watch that. Maybe once a week or so. Protein Bars are good too. Just watch sugars calories and carbs.

Keep up the good work!

I had a lot of head hunger for Taco Bell. But when I broke down and bought a taco, it was the most disappointing taco I had ever had. :( I found it to be repulsing and have no desire to eat there again. Oh, I couldn't believe their taco's were 99cents. So over priced for nothing. Hummmmm. I use to eat these all the time. Could they contribute to weight gain? TACO BELL bad food! No Taco Bell for me. LOL ;)

I didn't like eating until month 7! Nothing felt right except for chicken chilli and chilli so I literally ate it everyday. Now I can eat anything. Eat soup! Not canned Soups with no meat...find a good deli or fresh Soup with a lot of meat!

I didn't like eating until month 7! Nothing felt right except for chicken chilli and chilli so I literally ate it everyday. Now I can eat anything. Eat soup! Not canned Soups with no meat...find a good deli or fresh Soup with a lot of meat!

Good Idea, I have an old crock pot that needs to be put to work anyway and soup sounds good.. I tried Turkey Chili but it laid in my stomach like a boulder. Maybe in a few months, I have to realize my stomach isn't what it was and my mind needs to start getting with the new program :angry: ! LOL :D

Thanks Alot!!

shakes can get a bit "old" so here are some combos I found pretty yummy.

BANANAS FOSTER shake

1 scoop vanilla protien

8oz skim milk or soy milk

1/2 banana

1 tbs of sugar free caramel sauce

4 ice cubes

chocolate RASBERRY shake

1 scoop of chocolate protien

2tbs sugar free Torani rasberry flavor

4 ice cubes

CHOCOLATE Peanut Butter SHAKE

1 scoop of chocolate protien

1tbs reduced fat Peanut Butter

1 packet of Splenda

4 ice cubes

Be creative. Adding fruit and Torani sugar free flavors gives you endless possibilities.

Good luck!

Try adding mootopia brand milk where these call for low fat milk. you can get itn regular, vanilla and chocolate - 8 oz of the chocolate is 150 calories, 15 g(!) pf protien - the vanilla and regular is 12g of protien - lactose free and reduced sugars...heb carries it.

mash potatoes, btw, is a very nutritious food but also high on carbs. Try some different meats - duck, bison, veal, quail (mmmm), rabbit (get the right kind).

The way meat is prepared and the cut can affect us soooo much - keep it in mind. When you cut it to chew, also remember - cut it against the grain thinly, it will be so much easier to chew.

I have a friend who added turnips and pumpkin (two separate occasions) to thrice ground bison and it was heavenly. So easy to chew.

I never used shakes at all, they're hard to get where I live and I can basically only get one kind and I hated it. Plus, my program discourages using shakes, they want you to get all your Protein from food, which I've not had a problem with at all. My program also *requires* carbs like bread and potatoes, which I had a harder time eating (potatoes still feel like a rock in there!). So programs are all over the map -- including those that don't use shakes and do recommend adding some carbs in. I've been pretty successful with it so far, I lost pretty slowly I would say, but I'm not bothered about being fast at all LOL. And I enjoy eating and I can eat much more than 3-4 bites now, but still much less than pre-op.

Try adding mootopia brand milk where these call for low fat milk. you can get itn regular, vanilla and chocolate - 8 oz of the chocolate is 150 calories, 15 g(!) pf protien - the vanilla and regular is 12g of protien - lactose free and reduced sugars...heb carries it.

mash potatoes, btw, is a very nutritious food but also high on carbs. Try some different meats - duck, bison, veal, quail (mmmm), rabbit (get the right kind).

The way meat is prepared and the cut can affect us soooo much - keep it in mind. When you cut it to chew, also remember - cut it against the grain thinly, it will be so much easier to chew.

I have a friend who added turnips and pumpkin (two separate occasions) to thrice ground bison and it was heavenly. So easy to chew.

Mootopia sounds great and I will try to look for it in my supermarket, as for the bison I don't think we get that in NYC. :huh: LOL And I don't think I have the heart to eat a Rabbit :unsure: . I've had Venison before and loved it, but we don't get that here either. I'm going to start trying Tofu, I have many recipes and Tofu has a lot of Protein and seems easier to digest, I don't know yet 'cause I haven't tried it yet, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thank you Pookeyism!

Mootopia sounds great and I will try to look for it in my supermarket' date=' as for the bison I don't think we get that in NYC. :huh: LOL And I don't think I have the heart to eat a Rabbit :unsure: . I've had Venison before and loved it, but we don't get that here either. I'm going to start trying Tofu, I have many recipes and Tofu has a lot of Protein and seems easier to digest, I don't know yet 'cause I haven't tried it yet, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thank you Pookeyism![/quote']

they sell bison in the grocery look near the lamb it is become a farmed meat and easy to get if your in nyc they have to have it you guys have everything . Quail and rabit might beharder and venison send a hunter out... I am roasting venison this week I am 3 weeks out I cant wait we make ours slow roasted and so good and tender.

I'm afraid you won't get Mootopia in NYC either... :) It's a Texas grocery store chain only kind of thing. It's only sold at HEB and HEBs are only in Texas. Too bad others don't have anything similar because it is such great, high Protein, low fat milk!

I'm afraid you won't get Mootopia in NYC either... :) It's a Texas grocery store chain only kind of thing. It's only sold at HEB and HEBs are only in Texas. Too bad others don't have anything similar because it is such great, high Protein, low fat milk!

It's amazing what you can get through the internet! Though I don't think I would try and order milk. LOL Skim Plus is a real good milk, same calories and as skim milk but taste way better and 9 gram of Protein per 8oz. :)

they sell bison in the grocery look near the lamb it is become a farmed meat and easy to get if your in nyc they have to have it you guys have everything . Quail and rabit might beharder and venison send a hunter out... I am roasting venison this week I am 3 weeks out I cant wait we make ours slow roasted and so good and tender.

I have never seen bison and I have shopped in every borough, if NYC has it, it must be in a real up-scale supermarket for the rich people :rolleyes: . I was told I could order bison on-line through specialty meat deliveries. Maybe one day.

Mootopia sounds great and I will try to look for it in my supermarket' date=' as for the bison I don't think we get that in NYC. :huh: LOL And I don't think I have the heart to eat a Rabbit :unsure: . I've had Venison before and loved it, but we don't get that here either. I'm going to start trying Tofu, I have many recipes and Tofu has a lot of Protein and seems easier to digest, I don't know yet 'cause I haven't tried it yet, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thank you Pookeyism![/quote']

Willow I too live in NYC and you can buy bison in Dagostinos. You can also get in on the west side at Whole Foods. It is the inky red meat I can stomach try it. Good luck to you!!

I couldn't get all my Protein from food until about 4-5 months out. I just didn't have enough capacity. I didn't like sweet shakes, so I did unflavored protein with Decaf, a little milk and splenda. By about 3 months I was able to just have 1 per day (before that it was 2-3 times a day). I'm so glad to be done with them completely! I can almost always get 75+ grams of protein per day from food only, and generally still stay under 1200 cals AND get a few carbs and veggies here and there too.