Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nsv - I Got A Job! Multiple Offers!

Here's the background data. I took an early retirement package from my employer at the end of December of 2011. They were having some tough times financially and wanted to reduce costs - so when they offered the package, I accepted it. I took a gamble on myself and my skills being marketable in the bad economy.

Not a fun time to be in the job market. For those of you who haven't looked for a job recently - it is completely different than it was even two years ago. If you don't know how to use social media, have a great "content-rich" resume, and are willing to network almost continuously, you are going to have a difficult finding a new job. I am 55 years old, and am competing with "kids" half my age and willing to take less money than me for the very same job.

Here's the NSV - I received four job offers! The first was about 3 weeks ago, for a contract position - which I accepted. That seemed to bring all sorts of other good things my way. I received three additional job offers in the last ten days. All three of them were good offers for permanent positions (if any jobs these days are really "permanent"). I had the amazing task of deciding which one was the one I wanted - because I would have accepted any one of the three. I did a little negotiating with the companies - to maximize the offers - and picked the winner. I resigned from my contract job, accepted the job I decided on, and told the other two companies, "no thanks".

I think the fact that I had successfully lost 100+ pounds and am a "normal" weight both really helped me have a successfull job search. I believe the confidence boost I got from having beat my personal demon carried over into my interviews. I know people looked at me differently during the interview process at a size 12 petite than they would have at a size 26W. I didn't have to worry about hiring managers or human resource people worrying about the costs of insuring an obese person. I think I look younger than I did 100+ pounds ago - and younger is definately better in today's job market.

It is going to be nice at the new company to just be known as "Sharon - the new woman" rather than "Sharon - the fat woman who is new". I look forward to planning what I will be wearing the first week of work!

Sharon

This is truly an NSV! Congrats on your new found confidence and your new job! ;)

Wohoo!

One of the reasons I want the surgery is for confidence in getting a job.

Wonderful....what an inspiration to us who are getting sleeved soon! good going! :)

Congratulations to you! What a great NSV!

Skcunningham!!! Congratulations!!! What a great post! I think you are so right about the way people look at us and respond to us. I just recently had the experience of giving a presentation and in no time I felt so strange with the attention I had in the room! My mouth was talking and on the side I was thinking: "oh my, I really was as invisible as I felt!!!" I could not believe it. So good for you!!! You got your pick of the best job! Go get em girl!!!!! Shine your light!!!!

You go girl...can't put a price on that confidence. Congrats I'm glad to hear that your leap of faith worked out.

That is AWESOME! Congrats!! I feel very excited for you!! I love that your weight loss has boosted your self-confidence. That is exactly what I'm looking for in my weight loss journey.

I know exactly what it feels like to carry that extra baggage of 100+ lbs to your interviews. I was almost 200lbs when I graduated from college. The good thing was, I was a campus recruit. So I only had to compete with people I knew. There were just 170 of us graduating that year and it was easy to be one of the winners. I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't been recruited in my final year of college. My state produces more than 200,000 engineering graduates a year. I would have had an EXTREMELY hard time competing with them!

Whoop whoop! You go, Sharon, The NEW GIRL!!! Proud!

Congrats!

Sharon... I am brimming with pride over you!! Well done my lovely friend. You are such an inspiratation to me and it has been a pleasure to share your journey and watch you shrink in size and swell in confidence.

You must let me know what you wear for the first day!

Congratulations, you deserve this and then some... =]

Congratulations, Sharon!!! What an inspiring post to read! Best wishes in your new job!!!

So awesome Sharon! Yay!