Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only 2 Weeks Until My First Dr. Appointment!

After years of being unhappy about my weight and multiple attempts to diet I have finally made the decision to get WLS... and hopefully change my life forever. I am a self pay patient and am having my surgery in Kansas City but live in St. Louis. The price difference was too great not to make the trip for the surgery (even though it's a small trip). The down side is that I will not have a local support group, and so here I am... Looking for support. I have read through several of the posts on this site over the last few weeks and have been encouraged by what I have read. I finally made the decision last night to sign up so that I will have some people to talk to about the challenges that I'm sure I will face over the next couple of months. I look forward to getting to know some people on the site. Any words of wisdom are welcomed :) The Journey begins...

Hi Gene!! Welcome :)

I am from Jefferson City and I was sleeved on 4/11. I had a wonderful experience and I am doing great. Feel free to ask any questions. I will help if I can.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy!!!

I'm exicted to be here!!! Nervous, but excited. It's great to hear from someone that has had the surgery so recently and is doing so well. I'm hoping I can have the surgery sometime in June, so I'm starting to think about what I need to change to make the transition to my new life easier. The first thing that comes to my mind is Soda. I'm addicted to drinking soda which I think will be the hardest thing for me to give up, but I figure the sooner I start the better. How have you been dealing with cravings... or have you had many?

Gene

Gene- I committed to this new lifestyle last Sept. I gave up soda, sugar & caffeine at that time. I came to realize that I had been very fortunate that I had eaten anything & everything I wanted for 53 years so surely I could eat & drink healthy for however many years I had left. It is a mindset. Once you decide to do this you just do it! Nothing tastes as good as this feels. I promise :)

Hello,

Saw that you were from St. Louis thought I would chime in because I am a St. Louisian too!

I live in Union just west of St Louis.

I am a beginner as well.

My first appointment is at Des Peres Hospital in two weeks.

I'm hoping that I meet the requirments for my insurance to cover it otherwise I will be out of the picture. So far after looking at what is required I think I will fit the bill!

The only downsde is I have to wait 6 months but that is fine by me, plenty of time to get healthier for surgery!

Good luck and keep in touch local friend! :D

P.S. I gotta get a pic up here! :P

Hi Kate!! Welcome to this amazing journey. I had to do a 6 month supervised diet for insurance requirements. It really went by fast.i lost 50 #. :)

What you said Kathy really makes sense... I too have had 41 years to eat any way that I have wanted to, and let me tell you there are plenty of things that I shouldn't have. Now it's time for change!!! I can't wait until I can say that I feel good about my weight. I'm sure once I see the weight coming off it will make the thoughts of eating bad much less.

Hi Kate, It's nice to meet someone else in the STL area. Des Peres Hospital is the best in the area for surgery. I would be going there myself if I wasn't a cash pay payment and I didn't find a deal in KC that was $9k less than the cost of the sleeve in STL. What Dr. are you going to see? I too need to update my profile a bit and post a picture, I can't wait to look back and the transformation once I start losing weight.

Kathy, You lost that 50lbs during the 6 moths? Good to know, I know this sounds silly but I was worried if I lost too much I would't qualify. I mean I know the goal is to loose but I've never had a problem loosing it's been keeping it off!

Gene,

I haven't picked a doctor yet just going to the seminar and then I will go from there. Probably whoever has the most experience with the sleeve.

Thanks guys look foward to sharing my journey with you and hearing about yours.

:D

Kate,

My wife had Lap Band surgery at Des Peres a few years ago and used Dr. Darrin Minkin and was extremely happy with him. I too have met him and actually attended a seminar that he was conducting at Des Peres Hospital. If I were not a cash pay patient I would for sure be using him. He's the founder and director of the program there. Just thought I would pass that along since you haven't decided on a Dr. yet.

I too can't wait to share about my Journey and learn how you are both doing.

Kate-- my insurance went by my weight and BMI at my initial doctor's appointment. They highly encouraged weight loss.

Gene---Good morning!! :)

Good morning Kathy!!! Happy Friday!!!

Katie, Don't forget that they will factor in co-morbidities, so even if your BMI goes down, those other risks (if you have any) will not immediatly, so I can't imagine it would impact your approval... I'm sure the Dr's office will give you good guidence.

Well thats good to hear. I have high cholestrol if that counts? I just take fish oil for it. Im sure I may have sleep apnea.

I just got my forms from the insurance company today. So the process begins.