Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Without Protein Drinks?

Cherrybomb, I hated the Protein shots. I could do the watermelon but everything else, I just wretch (still) at the thought. Yuck. But the Cytomax from Vitamin Shoppe I love. Those cytomax's ARE like flavored Water to me and 20 oz with 40 g of Protein. I do 1.5 to 2 bottles a day and it counts for my Water and that's 50g to 80g a day. Isopure many ppl like, I didn't but I'm a weirdo (go on quote me pttthh lol). Well the guy at Vitamin Shoppe told me too that the Cytomax is better but it's not as well known as the Isopures, so I am not alone (he said the Isopures are nasty too lol). Hey if you like them, great though! I hope you will.... and fyi, the protein puddings are workable for me. Not fabulous, but workable! I split them into 4 oz. for bfast and 4 oz sometime after lunch for a snack. One pudding has 30g of protein in it. So if I get 50g from 1.5 bottles of cytomax, then a protein pudding, I'm at 80g of protein a day. It's just learning something new hon... that's all!

And the nutritionist won't fuss at you.... or whomever you see for aftercare.... but perhaps can make good suggestions on how to get real food around it. It IS a learning experience hon. No worries ok?

Unjury's chicken Soup is good. Really good. But my durn microwave nukes everything so I have to have my little thermometer with me each time. The premier Protein drinks are good as well (found at costco about 25 usd a case). I also liked the muscle milk light in either chocolate or vanilla... they even sell these in a vending machine at my gym, so they are found everywhere. And the nectar Syntrax isn't bad either btw. I did go online and order the trial pack that they suggest in the Protein Drinks nutrition thread from this site.

Don't give up Cherrybomb. It's all just suggestions and something new! I feel so lost many times in this journey ... but so many ppl will help you and give you input. And suggestions and encouragement... God bless. And just know I for one am wishing you luck in every step! xoxo

I had my post-op with the surgeon today (I will be 3 weeks out tomorrow.) He said I could completely quit drinking Protein when I could get 60 grams of Protein in a day through food sources.

I've been tracking my food on myfitnesspal and today I have had 555 calories and 52 grams of protein so far! I haven't added the partial piece of Tilapia for dinner and I hope it puts me over 60! If not, will eat a piece of cheese later.

Eating all protein like this certainly leaves no space or time for anything else, but the "protein first" rule has been drilled into my head for a year so not concerned. My Vitamins should cover everything else.

The EAS drinks are pretty good. They are comparable to the taste of SlimFast. Granted, it's not the best thing in the world, but it is certainly not unpleasant to drink. I like to put it in the freezer for a while so that it gets a little slushy.

Oh the nasty Protein drinks. I didn't find but one kind that I liked. nectar was even nasty smelling to me. I remember one season of the biggest loser where the doctor mentioned to one of the contestants who had previously had gastric bypass 10 years past that her body was nothing but fat. I recently had a body fat test done at 9 months - a real one - on a machine like the one they have on the biggest loser and as I suspected my muscles are basically gone and I am just a gooey sack of blubber and bones. At 5'10" my muscles and bones weighed about 110 pounds... Women could have 20 to 30 percent far so if I were 150 I would be a healthy weight, but for me that would be way too thin. Anyhoo it is the low carbs that shed the pounds and high protein that builds the muscles. I am hoping to restore some of my muscle at some point this year, but that is a very long process for us women :) so it very important to find something and WORK out!!! Two things I just didn't do :( I hope to report in six months time an increase is muscle mass, but still thinking to myself, in my 11th month, how in the hell am I going to get all that protein in. I think this weekend I am going to try some bars because the drinks are just nasty! I sent the powder that I had to some people on the board :)

smoothie king has some good powder they can mix into a drink, but a small drink at smoothie king is more than we could consume in two days. And then they want to charge $7 for a smoothie. Oh I did buy the roasted edamame which has the most Protein, at the lowest volume of food, with the least calories, but I just didn't like it either...but it is something you should try if you can handle nuts ok :)

I didn't stick with the Protein Shakes routine I have one every now and then and I've lost 97lbs. I was already built very muscular before surgery though so it really didn;t affect my muscle tone.