Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do I Let My Job Know?

Hey all. So i need some advice. Ive been at my current job for 2 months and 10 days. still on probation technically. the reason why im so confused and dont know what to do is because this is my first real job, before this i had been working temp. :unsure: I dont know how to go about telling my employer i need time off. am i supposed to tell my supervisor, my manager or?? and what exactly should i have as far as paperwork when i tell them? what do i tell them? can they let me go? can i file for disability for the time ill need off? can i get disability if i get let go? i have no idea how to go about this. my surgery is May 10th so its literally 4 weeks from today on thursday.

thanks everyone! :)

Each employer has a different set of requirements. Mine had a leave of absence packet that I had to fill out. You won't be eligible for fmla as you haven't been there for a year. Probably the same with disability. I would go to your direct supervisor and talk to them. How long are you looking to take off? Hope things go ok for you but you should talk to them, sooner rather than later... Jenn

The sooner you tell them, the better.

As you've not been at this job for at least a year you would not qualify for FMLA protection, but I still think most jobs would be hesitant to fire someone for taking time off for surgery.

If you signed up for short-term disability insurance with your employer it may kick in, but I doubt it after two months. Check your policy.

I'd tell your immediate supervisor as soon as possible. Just explain that you're sorry, but you are going to have "needed surgery" in a month, and who should you talk to about that? My guess is they'll refer you to someone in HR. Let them be your guide as to what paperwork they will need from your surgeon.

[quote name='Sandra_Baby87' timestamp='1334245856' post='31131

still on probation technically. can they let me go?

Sandra,

First you should go to your immediate supervisior and tell them about your pending surgery. I don't think they are really allowed to ask you what your surgery is, but since you are a new employee, if she asks - then tell her. She'll give you all the necessary paperwork.

Also i would go to her prepared with note from dr. regarding the surgery. She would request that anyways, so having it ahead of time might be a good idea.

Yes, express that you are really sorry but---this surgery is now all set etc. etc.

i don't think they would let you go. They might ask you "if you were aware of this date when you had your interview, why didn't you tell them" Tell them of course you didn't have a date etc. etc. See how the discussion goes, go with the flow. Hope she/he is understanding, hope all goes well.

Best of luck to you at work and surgery

Good luck

kathy

Do you have any PTO at all? Some places give it to you up front, some places you don't accrue until after your first year, etc. Find out if you even have the time to take off. If not, it may come down to a choice between postponing surgery or being terminated. I hate to be so blunt about it, but that's how it works.

Your company should have a policy for taking time off, and some type of process you follow. If you don't know what it is, call HR and ask. With some companies it's just letting your boss know, and with others there's an actual form or packet you need to complete. It all varies so much, there's no way for us to be able to tell you what your employer's requirements are.

Disability does nothing to give you time off. IF you have disability benefits, it's basically a pay benefit. Like I said, if you have the coverage and if your claim is approved, it keeps your paycheck coming in (sometimes at a reduced rate, you have to see what your benefit covers). It does NOTHING to protect your job or give you time off of work. It ONLY provides income.

STD (short term disability) also only covers a specific amount of time, and there's usually a waiting period before your benefits kick in (for example, in my case, my benefits kicked in 5 calendar days from my first day missed. My surgery wsa a Tuesday, so I had to use 4 sick days to cover Tue - Fri, Sat was a freebie b/c my salary is not penalized for weekends, and benefits technically kicked in Sunday).

If you are lot go it will probably be for a cause similar to excessive absence or failure to meet requirements (I haven't been on the terminating side of HR things for a long time so don't quote me on this) which means your disability benefits would not be continued and you would not be eliglble for unemployment.

Hope this helps.

Hey all. So i need some advice. Ive been at my current job for 2 months and 10 days. still on probation technically. the reason why im so confused and dont know what to do is because this is my first real job, before this i had been working temp. :unsure: I dont know how to go about telling my employer i need time off. am i supposed to tell my supervisor, my manager or?? and what exactly should i have as far as paperwork when i tell them? what do i tell them? can they let me go? can i file for disability for the time ill need off? can i get disability if i get let go? i have no idea how to go about this. my surgery is May 10th so its literally 4 weeks from today on thursday.

thanks everyone! :)

I had a similar issue at a job. I was a probationary employee, and I needed surgery, though it was NOT at ll elective like VSG can be. They fired me. I filed for unemployment and stated straight up that I was a new employee and was fired for needing surgery. I got my benefits, but I still lost my job. You're going to have to decide if the job or the surgery is more important right now. If your insurance is covering the surgery, and you don't really care about the job, I say get the surgery.

I've only been at my job for 8 months so I don't qualify for FMLA but I do for STD. I've been out a lot sick and I told my boss this surgery will help me not be out as much anymore. I also worked my butt off to be one of the top performers so they wouldn't have a reason or itch to get rid of me while I was gone. Short term disability gets you paid but doesn't protect your job. I've been out since Tuesday and hope to go back next week or so. I did however give my boss a heads up few months ago. Only 4 people on my team know why I'm getting surgery.

Since you've only been there 2 months I'd have a heart to heart with your manager and let them know what's up and that you need surgery. Id send it in a email too so you have a paper trail. Last thing you want to do is head out for surgery worrying about your job. Make sure you get clear answers before you go and have a Plan B in case they have to let you go. Good luck in your journey

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thank you ladies! i really appreciate it. Im gonna call my surgeons office today and request a letter explaining the time ill need off and starting when. I know even though i need this job, my health has to come first. im gonna tell them and if they let me go, ill say thank u for the opportunity and walk out of there knowing i lost a job but im going to gain a whole new life =]

Hey Sandra! How did you make out? Hope all is well. Getting excited, its coming up fast! Are you having your surg here in the states?