Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am six foot two and 320 and don't know if I want to have part of my stomach removed. The procedure has not been around a long time and doesn't have a long track record. I have been heavy my whole life and need a change please someone give me that final push to make sure I do this is anyone just a month out and have some good news to tell me or a year out and have a great story to share

Well I gotta say that I prayed a lot on my decision to finally go through with it. I had the same thoughts as you did and kept saying that if I'm not supposed to do this, God would give me a sign. He did. He gave me the support of my family, especially that of my dad who is a physician. I thought he would be against it and tell me to work out, eat less carbs etc. but he stood by me and I knew that if the cons outweighed the benefits, my dad would have stopped me instead of encouraged me.

Hi Jared,

I'm almost a month out and I feel great!! I was a little concerned about being able to eat if they took out part of my stomach, but then I started

thinking about how much we as a society overeat any way and how much I've probably stretched my stomach out of its natural size to hold all

the extra food that I've been indulgimg on forever, I decided I would be fine and that it was about time I that I started eating to live and stop

living to eat. I don't feel any different, I just get full faster, I do look different (Yay!) because so far I've lost almost 30 lbs and I no longer have

high blood pressure. The only difference I see in my life since I decided to have the surgery is that I can't eat as much as I use to, I have no desire to eat

crappy, unhealthy food, I really look forward to excercising, and for once in my life I'm learning how to eat right, lose weight and keep it off. So I am

officially PUSHING over the fence into the operating room. GET IT DONE!!! LOL

Well this is really a personal decision, and ultimately it is yours to make. All the stories in the world should not trump your gut instinct. I am 12 days post op, and have no regrets. I was tired of trying to convince myself that I could do it on my own. I just finally decided that it was time for me to have the surgery. I have no regrets, it isn't easy. I don't even eat 1/4 of what I used to, but I do know that it's something tht I've got to do. I also know that eventually I will be able to eat a little more.

5 weeks out and very happy with my decision. I feel great and I can still eat the foods I like just not in the quantity I used to. I am not hungry, but I still have taste buds and enjoy the flavors.

My diabetes and high blood pressure are under control without medications.

Loving my new sleeve....named "TinyTum"

You will make the right choice for you and have peace with it!

:)

Wow, this decision is really a hard one. I will not be the one to push you towards having the surgery. This is a decision you need to make yourself. Everything that I've heard about this surgery reports that the vertical sleeve is one of the safest procedures here. There is even a famous cook (sorry I don't know his time) that has no stomach at all and eats to fuel his body organically. For me personal, this is the best decision I have made. I could have chosen the RnY but then I'd have difficulties with malabsorbtion, dumping, or the Lap Band which is a total failure for many people. Not to mention other complications and it's not permanent. There is plication but I don't want my stomach to be folded and stapled, plus it would still stretch out. I hope you let us know what your choice is. don't let your fear stop you from being successful. :)

I am six foot two and 320 and don't know if I want to have part of my stomach removed. The procedure has not been around a long time and doesn't have a long track record. I have been heavy my whole life and need a change please someone give me that final push to make sure I do this is anyone just a month out and have some good news to tell me or a year out and have a great story to share

The surgery is relatively new as a weight loss procedure but has in fact been around for many, many years for cancer patients, those with extreme ulcers etc. Look at it this way. VSG may be new in the weight loss arena but HYPERTENSION, HIGH CHOLESTEROL, DIABETES, DEPRESSION , and even some forms of CANCER HAVE been around for a long time and are most likely coming for all of us if we stay morbidly obese so try to think of things in that way.

I just hit 16 months post op. I cant say enough about how this surgery was a godsent and I have completly changed the way I live, cook, shop, eat, sleep, sit, walk,run, stand, get up in the morning, go to bed at night, make friends, ok...you get the point. It has changed almost everything about me...BUT ALL FOR GOOD! I am completly happy with all that has happened to me in the last 16 months because of this surgery. Most of all, I am sure that I have avoided a short life battling with heart disease, diabetes, PCOS, bad knees, bad feet, bad hips, and obesity. I would also encourage you to continue to read as many posts as you can here. Read success stories. Read complications. Read rants. Read failures. Then make a list of reasons why you shouldnt and why you should have the surgery. My doctor had us write out all the diets we have been on and the success of them. When I looked over it I knew that diets wouldnt work and I need medical intervention. Good luck in your journey to good health!

Jared, I agree with the posters who said that ultimately the decision is yours... because it is and it is a huge decision to make and not to be taken lightly. Having 85% of your tummy removed is not an over night thought and I also agree that you should continue to research the procedure, its effects and read all the information you can; here and else where.

I am 21mths post op now and personally this is the best thing that I have ever done for myself. I am not at goal yet but that is Ok. Don't get me wrong, I do have more fat left, and I am sure that it will go when it is ready ... but I am getting less stressed about not being a 'goaler' as my overall health and fitness is the best it has been for nearly 20 years. I have NEVER lost more than 7lbs on any given diet or 'life style' change before so to lose 70+lbs is an absolutel miracle for me!

My primary reason going into WLS was to get fit and healthy; to be able to exercise and be strong again - I loved exercise when I was in my teens and early 20s but when I started to gain weight, I found it too hard and painful. So, I have acheived that goal regardless of what the scale reads. Now I am here my focus has changed a little, and to my surprise, as I have started to think about 'looking good' again.. didn't think that would happen 2 years ago, but it has and although it is kinda weird, it is good to as I am regaining pride in myself. SO you see, it is not just about weight loss... the process is much more than that.

You have to do what is right for you.... you have to think about the pros and cons of this surgery (and others) and make an educated decision as this really is for life.

Good luck to you Jared...

My BMI was the same as yours. preop (41 or so) And I am telling you this is the best thing I have done in my adult life-- please look at my before and after pics. I am the happiest I have ever been!! I still enjoy food, just eat about half the portions. NO side effects, no loose skin, no troubles. :-) Of course the decesion is yours but I am THRILLED I did this.

Sleeve of Steel ~ great job Rockin that Sleeve! This is very inspirational to me. It keeps me in the game! CONGRATS!

Coops ~ I love your feedback as well as others. This also helps keep me going ! ;)