Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have a gallstone.....

It was caught early and I'm not having issues, but of course the first things the doctors say is GET IT OUT. My issue is, I don't want it out. God put it in my body for a reason and he doesn't make mistakes. Yes, I know "it's not a necessary organ," but I have grown to love it LOL. Many of the women on this site complain of side effects of the surgery. I was healthy when I got VSG, no HBP, diabetes or the like. I don't want additional side effects.

I have a feeling a year from know a procedure will be created to save gallbladders. I would like my doctor to give me more options such as contact dissolution therapy. Do any doctors do this at all?

I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow, but am anticipating cancelling it. What are your experiences?

My daughter had galstones, they were so painful for her and she was pregnant. She at 12 weeks pregnant could not live with the pain any longer and risked the surgery. Everything went well, she is less one galbladder and I was blessed with my 4th grand babie girl at just 5 lbs...4 oz.

She is 23 and says it has changed her life for the better having the darn thing removed! No more pain.

Had my gallbladder out about 5 years ago. Sooo glad its gone. Saved me a world of pain. Gallbladders don't "get better" - they really don't even stabilize, they only get worse -- and once yours gets there you might regret not doing it sooner. I'm not saying you WILL, just that you might, so it's something to keep in mind. Gallbladder attacks can often be mistaken for things like heart attacks and burst appendix - that's the level of pain potential.

I have not seen any literature on upcoming treatments for failing gallbladders. I would not count on it being around in a year.

Religious debate aside, all the gallbladder does is store/secret bile. You use bile to help break down fats. Your liver produces the bile, so you're basically just giving up a ... pump. The goods are still there.

When I had my lapband (and sleeve) I did not have comorbidities. BP, cholesterol, etc. were all good. Since having my GB out, I've had no complications. Other than sketchy memories of the surgery day, it's like nothing changed, except I no longer have 10 - 15 hour bouts of nausea-like pain. The typical experience after GB removal is life resumes as usual, minus pain.

Statistics-wise, most bariatric patients have their gallbladder removed (if it is there at the time of their surgery) within 1 - 4 years. Gallbladders go a little crazy when our obese lifestyle diets are disrupted so greatly.

HTH and good luck in what you're seeking.

I plan to have mine out when I have my VSG next week becuase so many of us will have problems down the line from the rapid weight loss. I'd rather deal with it now than later.

If you wait until you have an attack, it can be very serious. A friend of mine (unrelated to WLS) had an attack and was hospitalized for a few weeks. They had to cut her open to remover her gall bladder, because her belly was so distended from the condition and it was not possible to go in laproscopically. If a gall stone tries to pass and gets stuck in your bile duct, it is horribly painful, and if the gall bladder ruptures, it could be fatal.

Just do it. You won't regret it.

I had an attack when I was 16 weeks pregnant. It was painful and I wouldn't with the pain or fear on anyone. I am glad i had the surgery, even while pregnant. I was already scared because I had a miscarriage before getting pregnant with this child so I was scared to lose the baby again. I have my daughter, I don't have a jacked-up gall bladder, and I am happy with my decision. I am not religious so I cannot on what God put in me, but I do know I have a mind to make decisions about my health. You may just be scared about surgery. Think about it before you cancel.

I had my gallbladder taken out three months ago. I had over 40 gallstones and one lodged and caused infection that was terrible. The pain was so bad. I won't tell you what to do but more than likely more stones will come and you don't want that pain.

Wait..... I'm sorry... I really don't mean this to sound ugly at all.... but you had 85% of your stomach removed but you won't have something 1) that you don't need and 2) that could kill you taken out?

I had my gallbladder removed when I did the VSG. I was having symptoms and attacks, and I can say that I'm much better now and so glad I had it removed.

Good luck!

Oh my gosh...so I have my surgery on April 10th and I am just now finding out that I most likely will have gall bladder trouble as a result of this surgery? Freaking out...someone please clarify!

Not sure what you need clarified? I think the current stats are that about 42% of bariatric patients have their gallbladder removed within the first 2 years, and it goes up about 20% each year thereafter until 4 years (82%).

It's not a guarantee, and bariatric surgery itself doesn't cause the gallbladder to go bad.

I had my gallbladder out at 19. I wasn't overweight at that time so with the first attack, the ER gave me pain medication and sent me home. The second attack had me thinking I was going to die so I made my "death bed" confessions to my mother, asked her to give my siblings certain things of mine and wrote a letter telling everyone how much I loved them. I passed out from the pain! Fortunately, the next ER decided to do an ultra-sound sound on my abdomen and I had 3 very large rocks in my gallbladder! Surgery was scheduled for a few days later.

Now, besides having to answer to my parents for some of my confessed mischief, I think that having those attacks were the best thing that happened to me. From what I hear from others, the attacks happen more frequently and are worse. Had I known that I had gallstones, I would have never waited for the pain... it's not worth it. Get the surgery.

BTW, don't fear GB removal. If it happens, it happens. It really is one of the easier surgeries. Surgeon time is about 10 minutes. I went in for mine at about 9 and was home by about 1.

Oh my gosh...so I have my surgery on April 10th and I am just now finding out that I most likely will have gall bladder trouble as a result of this surgery? Freaking out...someone please clarify!

okay, now i have to research stats on gallbladder removal! thanks Wheetsin for giving me something to start on. The problem is I do not have medical insurance and now I am wondering if I should just get it taken out while I have my WLS!

I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago and felt SOOOO much better afterwards! I dealt with those attacks for over 2 months before discovering what it was and having surgery. Each attack was worse than before with the last one sending me immediately to the ER. I thought I was having a heart attack! It was absolutely terrible! I didn't have any side effects that were unbearable. My only issue was frequent diarrhea after eating. This stablized after a period of time and then I had no issues.

I also didn't have any comorbidities before being sleeve, thankfully. In terms of God giving us gallbladders....He gave us whole stomachs but we've had the majority of it removed. :lol: He gave my mother two breasts but she didn't flinch when told that one needed to be removed due to breast cancer several years ago. My uncle is next in line for a kidney transplant - you see where I am going with this. I didn't hesitate to go through with my gallbladder removal. Hopefully, you'll go with your doctor's suggestions and have the surgery. I wouldn't want you to experience those attacks. Girl, they are no joke! LOL!!