Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brothers treat me like crap...

I would highly recommend taking the mature role in this situation. If they make another comment like this, ask them to step into another room so you can be alone. Put your hands on his shoulders and look him directly in the eyes so he can see how serious you are about the subject. Then, knee him in the crotch as hard as you can. Like most men, he will fall to the ground in a heap and begin to pray for his own death to end the pain.

While he is in what I call the "Attentive Position", tell him very clearly, that his un-kind words hurt you just as much as he hurts now and that he should never again speak to you in this manner. This will create a lasting memory for him, negative re-inforcement matched with a message.

Or, ignore him and his need to feel superior to you for whatever reasons he has and keep in mind your weight is your business and you are working on doing something for yourself. Let him realize later that his need to feel superior is his issue for him to deal with.

For years my Mom would introduce me by name when encountering friends but proudly introduce my slim sister as her daughter. It hurt and even though she has stopped doing this, it's a pain that is hard to forget. Our families are supposed to love and support us, not tear us down.

my mother wouldn't introduce me at all.

I like the one (reply by 503) where I take the mature approach, look them in the eye and knee them in the crotch

:banana: :dance:

thats a great plan...

I am 49 years old and my brothers are 59 and 54. In other words, old enough to know better. They have been treating me like crap ever since I have become obese, about 12 years ago...I am worthy of respect as a human being and as their sister!
Murry the "K" used to say, "You can pick your friends, not your relatives".

You may have to give them a choice: "Either you stop abusing me or you are not welcome in my home" (and you stay away from theirs).

Good advice, Tired Old Man.

They have both been nicer lately. Who knows how long this will last. Next time will be the last time and I will tell them WHY I am stepping out of the family scene. Brother who made the comment about "how can you stand her blah blah blah" KNOWS how much it hurt me because I stared crying right away (darn it). I hate that.

I think it's ok to show emotion...but like you when I'm hurt or angry I cry and wish I could hold it back! Sometimes it's good for people to see their effect on you!!!

God BLess,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -84lbs :eek: