Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I feel the port...

I'm curious why I can feel the port so quickly. I have lost nothing but belly fat I believe...that is where the weight is gone from and I can feel this little knot like thing which is my port. It is a low profile port and isn't very big, but feels like a hard knot to me. The incisions are practically healed, but this feeling is weird. When I lay down especially I feel it, although when I look at my stomach I don't see any bumps at all. Is this common? I'm hoping the port isn't flipped or something. I don't see the dr. until Aug. 30. It doesn't hurt, but it sure feels weird to feel this.

I'm only about 3 weeks out, and just curious if everyone can feel their port. Thanks.

I can only speak because I have a banded friend who put my hand on her port, YES, you should feel the port.

I haven't tried, because I am a chicken and my incision is still scabbed.

:shiver: That is the only thing that really bugs me is feeling the port. Oh will, I had better get used to it.

It's a really weird feeling. The dr. had told me it wouldn't feel like much because it is low profile (it makes me wonder what the bigger ports feel like)....I guess I better get used to it. Now that I've felt it, I can't keep my hand away from it.

Paulax I hope you heal soon. My incisions healed beautifully and I rubbed my hand over this by accident in the shower...it was like Wow what is this strange thing (even though I knew it was there). It feels likie a small boxy lump is the best way to describe it, but it doesn't protrude when I look at my stomach. Strange how we lose weight...I was hoping for the all over affect and it's strictly in my stomach so far.

Thanks for answering.

After the first 2 weeks when the swelling went down I could feel the port and I don't know anyone who can't feel theirs. Because the fat is dependent and the muscle is stable, when you lie down the port is more pronounced.

I must have Remedial Nerve Endings :scared: - because I only feel my port when they poke around for a fill or when somebody asks to feel it.

Other than those times, I'm never conscious of it.

Of course, I'm (very) single so it's not like anyone else bumps up against it or anything. :)

It's a really weird feeling. The dr. had told me it wouldn't feel like much because it is low profile (it makes me wonder what the bigger ports feel like)....I guess I better get used to it. Now that I've felt it, I can't keep my hand away from it.

Me too. Once I found it, I keep touching it. Like rubbing your belly when you're pregnant. :scared:

You are right Stitchy...I vaguely remember Pregnant (many years ago) and it is much the same. I'm making it sore from fooling around with it... :scared:

Alright.

It's just me then.

I guess after a zillion years (well, feels like it) I'm so used to it that I never, ever, ever feel the darn thing. Don't notice it, not conscious of it. Maybe my body and I have become at peace with it after all this time. I got the lower-profile port last year but it was moved when I had my TT.

Maybe it's Mind Over Matter, Dody. Stop messin' with it - I promise you'll get used to it.

Step away from the port ... step away! *LOL*

I definitely need to leave the port alone. I will try hard to do that, but now that I know it's there it's going to be difficult. Another obstacle to overcome.

I feel mine all the time. I can feel it right now as I type this. Mine has always kind of 'made itself known' whether I was feeling for it or not. Within my first week of banding my mom was feeling it and was convinced I was developing a hematoma. It was my port, it's very near the surface. Makes for an easy fill, I'll tell you that.