Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insomnia! Perhaps A Solution Found With 5-Htp - Long!

I've answered a few posts about insomnia and rather then revisit them I decided to post a new message relating my (hopefully) solution.

I've been an insomniac since I reached puberty, something (besides coming of age as it were) happened to me at that age and I've had trouble sleeping after that - for the last 35+ years to be exact. I have trouble going to sleep and keeping to sleep.< /p>

For about 10 years I was taking the antidepressant Paxil daily and .5mg of Xanax. This left me feeling dopey and out-of-it, although I usually slept OK while on it. I gave it up as I felt that I was losing my edge and falling behind, physically, emotionally and sexually. I also tried Melatonin, this seemed to have no effect on me other than to give me wild dreams.

Prescription sleep aids never worked for me. I tried Lunesta and Ambien. Both seemed to work somewhat but after a while stopped being effective. They carry risk of addiction and as I experienced loss of effectiveness.

So I suffered. Some most nights I lay there until 2 to 4 am, just laying and resting, too tired to read and knowing that I had to stay in bed to get the rest and what little sleep I got. I honestly think that I slept a lot more than I realized and that I actually DREAMED of laying awake wanting to sleep. Regardless it did NOT make for a restful night and after getting 2-4 hours of sleep in the wee hours I'd wake up tired sluggish and needing more.

I read about 5-htp hereon the forum. I had never heard of the stuff before. Not knowing what it is I read up on it. I actually bought a book on it from Amazon (search for 5-htp - there are a few). They read like the typical "Vitamin store employee" rhetoric and I saw little to actually support the claims. But I was desperate. What the heck I tried nearly everything else. This is supposed to help with sleep, depression and even weight loss.

The stuff is fairly inexpensive, about $9 / 30 capsules at my local Walmart. I started out taking 2 a day, one at lunch the other just before bed. After 15 days (one bottle) I didn't feel any difference. I continued on to my second bottle and after maybe 30 days I think it is finally kicking in. I now get really sleeping after getting in bed. I try to read and even have to close one eye while reading and have found myself staring at the page or closing my eyes and waking up a few minutes later after snoozing a little. This is progress.

Nearly every night I fall asleep pretty fast. I feel pretty good in the morning and am more refreshed. i also feel better emotionally. I continue to take it twice daily and even find myself smiling now and then and actually ENJOYING the thought of going to bed - I used to hate it as I didn't want to lay there for hours fighting sleep.

I still have an issue with waking almost every morning abut 2AM having to urinate. I have an ongoing issue with kidney stones and found the only way to keep them in check is to slug a LOT of Water down every day, I probably drink close to a gallon a day, hence I wake up at 2-3 am having to pee. I then have some issues getting back to sleep but have found the time flies by so I must be getting SOME sleep.

Has anyone else tried this stuff? What are your experiences with it? Is it for real or have I just psyched myself into a better sleep pattern?

5-HTP was recommended to me for my son who has some learning issues. I put him on a supplement regimen and this was included. It was particularly included for rages, temper issues, night terrors, nightmares, and difficulty sleeping, anxiety and sensory input issues. I have to say, when he takes it, he's a different kid. And he seems to be better rested. So, NO, it's not all in your head. It is an immediate precursor to Seratonin in the brain. Seratonin is very important for sleep and other regular functioning. Do not take it if you are on any anti depressants or Ritalin.

There's a doctor in the Dallas area that has his patients use it to help weightloss. I guess the theory is that if it helps with moods it will help control emotional eating.

Thanks for taking the time to post this . I am sure it will help many people!!

Yes I did take it and as you say, in helps you fall asleep but my problem is staying asleep. Like you, I get up frequently to go to the bathroom (always have done, not sure why!) and once awake, I can't go back to sleep. On good days, I wake up at 4-5 am, on bad days as early as 1-2 am. Unfortunately 5-HTP doesn't seem to help with that.