Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We Don't Technically Experience "dumping," Buuuut......

Ok, every time I've seen someone ask about "dumping syndrome" (which is technically referring to something RNY patients experience) I just repeat what I've been told- that sleeve patients aren't supposed to have that. WELL!! I'm here to tell you, we can experience something VERY similar!!

So, tonight I'm having dinner with my husband, as we're at a resort in San Antonio for some board meeting having to do with his work. We're at this ultra fancy restaurant where they're treating us like royalty, and I'm 2 1/2 weeks out of surgery, so I'm still on liquids and cream Soup. So I discreetly ask the head waiter lady to work with me on this. She totally hooked me up with this delicious "browned butter corn chowder" TOTALLY pureed. IT WAS TOOOOO RICH!!! (gee, maybe "browned butter" could have clued me in???) And I had too many bites. I thought I was waiting between bites long enough. NAH AH!!!

In not too long of a time, I started feeling sick. I had to get up and walk around, so I went to the bathroom because I thought I was going to throw up. I was white as a ghost, and my arms and legs started getting weak and shaky. It was awful. Was I going to throw up, or pass out??? I just knew it would be one or the other. I finally used the toilet, which helped some, (that stuff shot RIGHT through!!) So I went back to the table and just waited for it to pass. As I sit here a couple hours later, I've been to the bathroom a couple times (it's STILL shooting through!) and don't feel quite right yet, but it's getting better.

So, anyway, if this experience can help anyone in any way, I'd be glad. BE CAREFUL when you are eating with a new sleeve. I'm still getting used to this. There is a learning curve to be sure!

--danielle

Sorry to hear about that! Sounds horrible! Yep, corn is on the "do not eat" list - like for a really, really long time. One of the higher in sugar foods. Between that and the butter, I'm betting your system just took a major shock. Rest, go back to the basics, and hope you feel better soon!

Sorry to hear about that! Sounds horrible! Yep, corn is on the "do not eat" list - like for a really, really long time. One of the higher in sugar foods. Between that and the butter, I'm betting your system just took a major shock. Rest, go back to the basics, and hope you feel better soon!

Ya...some Clear Liquids tomorrow sound REALLY good!

I had a very similar experience 1.5 weeks out when I ate full fat sour cream, and full fat whipped cream.. Yeah it took me two times to figure out not to eat full fat stuff... I told my doc this and she is like yeah you don't get dumping, but it was what I would think dumping is. It was defiantly a horrible experience, so I won't be doing that again.

I KNOW I get dumping syndrome. If I eat too much, I don't get the "slimes", I get the shakes. I get nauseous, hot and clammy. Same with sweets. I can't have sugar anymore. <_< Which is probably a good thing, but I DEFINITLEY get dumping syndrome symptoms.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I don't know about anyone else but I actually like the idea that this will be happenng if I try to eat things I shouldn't. One question how long does the dumping symptom last is it only for the beginning or will it last forever?

a particullary greasy piece of fish at a restuarant did the same to me, two words NOT FUN!

weight.png

sleeved12-19-11

I had that problem with a Protein Shake made with milk. Ive avoided milk since then. Hopefully Clear Liquids will help tummy feel better today! :)

yep, ANYONE can dump - it is simply improperly stomach processed food dumping into the intestine, and it does NOT like that sort of thing!

With an RNY you WILL dump, with anything else like a sleeve you are slightly more prone to it becasue of the restriction and even with a full stomach almost EVERYONE has done it once in a while. I know I did. Eating too much, too fast and it being just the right texture or richness to mysteriously allow it.

Since I "dumpped" when I drank a lot of Water I began to consider it a part of the water weight loss process. scale moves when I dump. We arent eating much so the only thing that could come out is a liquid form of #2.

So why exactly does this happen? I mean, can anyone explain that? Physiologically speaking? How does removal of part of the stomach make it difficult to tolerate high fat foods? (haven't been sleeved yet, still researching!!)

There are (that I know of) two types of dumping: "early" dumping and "late" dumping, referring to the amount of time that passes before the dumping begins. What's happening when you "dump"? I'm not a Dr. nor a master of anatomy, but here's a layman's idea. "Dumping syndrome" is also known as "rapid gastric emptying" -- which helps a little. :)

I'm going to use oatmeal to help make this as untechnical as possible. I don't mean literally oatmeal - I'm just using it for explanation.

Normally when food enters the duodenum (the very start of the small intestine) it's sufficiently broken down my the gastric acids and can be processed normally. When it's processed normally, you get your nice, thin, soupy oatmeal that your small intestine can work with.

When it does not spend sufficient time in the stomach, or is not sufficiently broken down, it enters the small intestine in too large of pieces and too quickly - more like a thick, clumpy oatmeal. That's where the term comes from, the clumpy oatmeal being "dumped" into the small intestine before it can be turned into nice, thin oatmeal.

When the clumpy oatmean hits the small intestine, your intesting says, "I'm not dealing with that clumpy crap!" and tells your body to start sending extra Water to help dilute the clumpy oatmeal into something thinner. All of that extra Water rushing in is the majority of what causes the discomforts associated with "dumping" (technically, early dumping):

• diarrhea (it's called osmotic diarrhea - water gained via osmosis. It's the same type of diarrhea that can be caused by things like artifical sweetners that tend to hit your small intestine and pull water in)
  • the parts holding the bulky. clumpy oatmeal and all the excess water will stretch more than they want to (it's called small bowel distention) - causes moderate to severe abdominal pain/cramping.
  • dehydration - your fluids are being redirected to help with the oatmeal emergency, and then being expelled (diarrhea) or rerouted, those fluids have to come from somewhere.
  • your blood volume can decrease (it's called hypovolemia - mild) which can be caused by a LOT of thigns including dehydration - your hands and feet might get cold, you will probably feel light-headed, weak, low blood presure, etc.

Those are mostly associated with "early dumping," generally dumping that occurs during or up to 30 minutes after a meal.

"Late dumping" is mostly a product of blood sugar, and usually happens a few hours (2 or 3, give or take) after a meal. Your pancreas procudes and stores insulin. If your body was a video game, Pac-Man would be insulin and the little white dots would be blood sugars. Insulin runs around gobbling up blood sugars. When the clumpy oatmeal is "dumped" your pancreas goes into overtime and starts kicking out excess amounts of insulin. When you have too much insulin, then too much blood sugars are gobbled up and you're left with low blood sugar (it's called hypoglycaemia). Symptoms of (mildly) low blood sugar can be:

• Sweating
  • Shaking/trembling
  • Anxiety
  • Confusion or "coudy headedness"
  • Exhaustion
  • Hunger
  • Nausea
  • Cold/clammy
  • Feeling faint
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Numbness or tingling
  • Blurred vision
  • Irritability
  • Etc.

DH sometimes gets spells of mild hypoglycemia not related to diabetes - he gets all of the above and then some! And on the outside, he looks exactly like my RNY friends when they are dumping.

Given that, it would make sense that early dumping is a product of the fatty foods, while late dumping is a product of the carbohydrates. But I have no idea if there are actually studies confirming/denying this. It's just my best Wheetsin guess.

Does this help?

Eating too much, too fast causes the small stomach to sort of panic and open the pyloric valve and dumping "raw" food into the duodenum - it does not like this and the result is cramps, sweating, nausea and the urge to vomit what's left of the food on the stomach.

As I stated before a LOT of people have had this at one point or another with NO WLS surgery. They just pass it off as an upset stomach or something not agreeing with them. I certainly have had bouts of it on rare occasions in the past.

There is a TV show in the USA named Man-VS-Food where this dude takes these food challenges and scarfs down enormous amounts of eats, on several broadcasts he has had what appeared to be dumping, sever cramps, nausea etc. I remember one show where he DID puke enough to release t pressure and therefore the dump. It's certainly not as bad for full stomached people OR for us sleevers for that matter.

It's worse for WLS patients because we don't produce as much acid to treat the food and have less storage space to hold the food. RNY bypass patients are especially prone to it because they really don't have a stomach, just a pouch made of the very top of the stomach and a folded up part of the intestines.