Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overtraining

Yeah, I don't actually know for sure that my levels were fine; all I know is that nothing was mentioned on my last blood tests. If you can have gout without high ureic acid on the blood tests, how on earth can they diagnose it? I thought high blood levels of ureic acid was the definition of gout... I need to go do some research!

my levels were above normal....low to mid range.....so they were high, just not so high that i was bending over in pain :) sorry for the misunderstanding.

Interesting: http://www.beatinggout.com/2009/04/gout-and-the-sleep-apnea-connection/

Apparently sleep apnea (which I know I have, and which I'm not sure is under control) is strongly correlated with gout (of which I have a family history). I don't have any of the other risk factors -- diabetes, metabolic syndrome, etc. -- but the only-barely-treated sleep apnea plus the family history might just make this worth looking into.

Thanks for the tip; I'll be sure to follow up with my doc after he gets back from vacation.

Do they test blood for ureic acid?

yes they test your blood...one of the most common things they test for pre op for the vsg. i didnt have a clue that i had it until my pre op testing. :)

at least being a hypochondriac helps you to be on top of your health. that is one good thing from it. far to many people dont pay close enough attention to their bodies warning signs and it ends up to be to late. there are good things in everything :)

Well, the thing is that I've wondered about this achy fingers thing for a while. From what I read about gout, it's pretty common, and it's the most preventable and treatable of all forms of arthritis. If I *do* have it (I have to avoid leaping to conclusions and diagnosing myself until my doctor can give the final answer, of course), it would explain a long-standing mystery in a relatively benign way. It would fit a lot of the evidence (which always makes my scientist/computer programmer's brain happy), and it's something that I could treat by doing all the stuff I'm trying to do ANYWAY (maintain a healthy weight, keep my sleep healthy and sound, avoid too much red/rich meat and alcohol, and so on).

So, while my initial reaction to the thought was denial because I thought it would mean lifelong, crippling, untreatable pain, it sounds like the opposite, if I have it. It's very treatable -- often without even needing medication -- and once treated, a long-term source of pain and discomfort might just magically go away. Where's the downside in THAT?

Well i couldnt agree with you more. I was all upset when I found out I had it thinking that I was set for a ton of misery. However when I realized how easy the tx was for it I was like....well at least I know why my hands have been hurting (occationally the feet) and now I can do something about it. I havent required any medication, and when I want a steak I will have one....i just rarely do and if I do I drink some cherry juice with it (it helps get rid of the extra puriens--or so I have been told). I havent had any problems with it at all since I have been dx. :)

best of luck to you (and wishes too)

:)

So at this point I'm 90% plus sure it's not gout. I asked my Mom when I saw her this weekend, and she said that I'd been mistaken; she does NOT have gout. My Dad has it, but it tends to follow maternal genetics more, and his kidneys are failing due to advanced congestive heart failure, so gout isn't too surprising, sadly.

Add to that the fact that simply not working out for a few days caused the pain and stiffness in my hands to completely vanish, and I think that the pain in my hips may be due to incorrect form when doing my crunches in the morning, and I really think that my wounds are self-inflicted. Regardless, since my insurance rocks and my doctor ordered the blood test, I got a draw this morning to test ureic acid levels, so I'll know for sure in a few days.

Bottom line, I think I've been overdoing it (and using bad form). Now, I need to figure out how to do crunches so they don't hurt my hips and low back!

Yeah, I just got the uric acid numbers back from the doc; they're perfect. So I don't have gout or arthritis (thank god, I'm only 41!) -- my sore muscles and joints are pretty much 100% due to overdoing it with weights (for the sore hands) and probably bad form with my crunches (for the sore hips). Good news, of course, is that both are easily correctable.