Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating And Drinking- At The Same Time.

Hi all,

I know that it has been mentioned to me by my nutritionist that I should not eat and drink at the same time once i have been sleeved. I have just realized however that I accepted this as gospel and never really understood the logic behind the warning. I now wonder if it is because there will not be enough room in my sleeve for the all important Protein and the liquid? On the other hand, I had also heard that fluids push food down the digestive track at a quicker rate that normal peristalsis. This would hypothetically mean that one could eat more if they drank and ate at the same. I m hoping someone can help clear this up. Thanks so much!

Finally, I have read that some have no issue eating and drinking at the same time, regardless of the reasons listed above. What has been your experience?

All the very best,

Harmonic

I was told by my doc that it could cause bloating, low food intake and vomiting. Also, some foods can be turned into a "slurry" and rushed out of your stomach, not permitting you to feel restriction when you eat, so you keep eating because you still think you are hungry. You do not want a hindrance to the full feeling.

That's all I got...

I was told the reason the liquid would take up the space you needed for food...

From personal experience I would say it just all around isn't a good idea..lol. Your stomach is very small,you want to take your time,relax and sip on your fluids. When it comes time to eat,you want to take your time,chew your food and slowly eat,while listening to the signs from your body. Eating and drinking at the same time will cause you to get really full,really fast. It may make you nauseous,it may even make you vomit. And like someone else said,it also has a tendency to turn food into a slurry,which will go down easier,allowing you to eat more. In my opinion,if this is made a habit,down the road,we may end up having a permanent stall or even regain.

-liquids speed up the passage of food through the stomach and ruin the beneficial effect of slow emptying of food from your new stomach pouch. If you have a drink immediately before your meal you may also find that your stomach is still full and you can't eat your meal. So avoid fluids half an hour before your meals, and for one hour afterwards.

-Drinking before you eat also lubricates the stomach, drinking while you eat flushes food through that you instead want to sit in your stomach to provide that "full" feeling.

Basically, it slows our weight loss according to my doctor.

Agree with what everyone else said. I also read something the other day that mentioned that drinking can push the food out quicker and cause a similar sensation to "dumping". The article said that the goal was to keep food in the stomach as long as possible.

This has been the hardest rule for me, but I just distract myself right after I eat and I find the time passes faster than I anticipate.

I can definitely say it doesn't hurt my stomach, but it causes me to eat more so I stopped. (Won't bore you with the details as to why I did it to begin with.)

It is much easier to not drink and eat at the same time now. I can see how it will soon become second nature. Best wishes!

Hi there,

I occasionally do this by accident or without thinking. Whenever I do, it causes my food to get stuck in my throat . Or at least that is the feeling . Kind of like a traffic jam is going on . However it is extremely uncomfortable. For me it is the similar sensation to having something not going down and then you fear you might choke. It always does go down but only after I have a panic attack! For the reason alone, I avoid doing it.

Now as to the technical reason. It is my understanding that whatever you drink liquifies the food making it easier to eat a lot more of it. I've also read that it ccan cause the food to travel through a lot faster leaving you less satisfied and then naturally eating more.

one day, food got stuck or something and i took a swig of Water without even thinking and i thought i was going to die. It felt a million times worse than just the food did. It burned, i felt like i was trying to swallow an elephant and was choking all at the same time. I finally got it all to go down and had heartburn the rest of the night. To me it just doesnt seem worth it.

Eat wait drink, i am trying to do everything the doc told me to do so i can have the max results. A lot of people say they do it, but its just not a big deal to me, seems like its such a small thing to give up in the scheme of the big picture of getting healthy. But some people say their docs say wait an hour, mine only says 15 minutes so every doc is different.

My naturopaths actually had me practicing this well before I was even considering surgery. It was suspected that I was not making enough stomach acid to properly break down the foods I was eating, because I was B12 deficient and experiencing some digestive discomfort with meats. Drinking before eating can flush the digestive acids your body naturally makes to break down the food before leaving the stomach. Drinking while eating, like most have said, can force only partially digested foods out of the stomach too soon. But it all comes down to the "tricks" off teaching your brain to know when it's full, and it will get there faster if you just focus on the food.