Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full Liquids?-Post Op-First Week

Hi, everyone. Okay I understand that I will be on full liquids once I leave the hospital. However on my full liquids list it says tuna and turkey blended and thinned with broth and hot Cereal thinned with milk. My doctor & NUTconsiders this full liquid, has anyone else done this? Is this a full liquid? Hmmmm, I don't know.

Wow! I wish my post op instructions would have been full liquids right off the bat! :) This just goes to show you how different the plans can be depending on the doc.

My surgeon has them broken into phases.. I hope this helps... :)

Phase I: Clear Liquids (Day 1 - 7)

• Clear liquid Protein drink

• Beef or chicken broth

sugar free jell‐O

sugar free popsicles – less than 15 calories per serving

• Crystal light, sugar free Kool‐aid, Decaf tea – no herbal tea

NO coffee, caffeine or carbonated drinks

Daily Protein GOAL:

WOMEN: 40‐60 grams

MEN: 60‐80 grams

Phase II: FULL LIQUIDS (Days 8-14)

• 1‐ Protein Drink = 40 grams protein daily

• Skim milk, soymilk, other low fat milks

• Low fat cream Soups – can add 1 scoop Protein powder (no potato, on corn soup)

• Fat free (artificially sweetened “lite”) yogurt such as Carb Freedom or Dannon’s Light n Fit

• Low fat cottage cheese

• Any phase 1 liquids

Phase III: Soft Diet (Days 15-28)

Protein Foods:

Baked fish, canned tuna, salmon, crabmeat (well picked); soft, moist, baked, boiled or canned chicken or turkey, sliced chicken/turkey deli meat; peanut butter; tofu or other soy based meat analogs; liver, cooked Beans, low fat cheese, eggs.

Vegetables:

Vegetables must be soft, well steamed or boiled. Good choices are: carrots, beets, mushrooms, spinach, squash, green Beans, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, onions

Fruits:

Fruits must be soft, peeled and cored and non‐citrus. Good choices are: apples, peaches, pears, bananas, and cantaloupe

Starches:

AVOID all starches including: rice, potatoes, bread, corn, crackers

Fats:

Limit the amounts of the following: Small amounts of margarine, olive oil, or cooking spray (Pam); low fat mayo or salad dressing. Avoid GREASY, FRIED FOODS

Phase IIII - NORMAL FOODS (Day 29 onward)

you may transition to normal foods slowly. Make healthy/smart choices, read your labels. You want the protein/ carbohydrate ratio to be smart. The smart ratio is to eat 4 times more protein than Carbohydrates.

Wow! I wish my post op instructions would have been full liquids right off the bat! :) This just goes to show you how different the plans can be depending on the doc.

My surgeon has them broken into phases.. I hope this helps... :)

Phase I: Clear Liquids (Day 1 - 7)

• Clear liquid Protein drink

• Beef or chicken broth

sugar free jell‐O

sugar free popsicles – less than 15 calories per serving

• Crystal light, sugar free Kool‐aid, Decaf tea – no herbal tea

NO coffee, caffeine or carbonated drinks

Daily Protein GOAL:

WOMEN: 40‐60 grams

MEN: 60‐80 grams

Phase II: FULL LIQUIDS (Days 8-14)

• 1‐ Protein Drink = 40 grams protein daily

• Skim milk, soymilk, other low fat milks

• Low fat cream Soups – can add 1 scoop Protein Powder (no potato, on corn soup)

• Fat free (artificially sweetened “lite”) yogurt such as Carb Freedom or Dannon’s Light n Fit

• Low fat cottage cheese

• Any phase 1 liquids

Phase III: Soft Diet (Days 15-28)

Protein Foods:

Baked fish, canned tuna, salmon, crabmeat (well picked); soft, moist, baked, boiled or

canned chicken or turkey, sliced chicken/turkey deli meat; peanut butter; tofu or other

soy based meat analogs; liver, cooked Beans, low fat cheese, eggs.

Vegetables:

Vegetables must be soft, well steamed or boiled. Good choices are: carrots, beets,

mushrooms, spinach, squash, green Beans, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, onions

Fruits:

Fruits must be soft, peeled and cored and non‐citrus.

Good choices are: apples, peaches, pears, bananas, and cantaloupe

Starches:

AVOID all starches including: rice, potatoes, bread, corn, crackers

Fats:

Limit the amounts of the following: Small amounts of margarine, olive oil, or cooking

spray (Pam); low fat mayo or salad dressing. Avoid GREASY, FRIED FOODS

Phase IIII - NORMAL FOODS (Day 29 onward)

you may transition to normal foods slowly. Make healthy/smart choices, read your labels. You want the protein/ carbohydrate ratio to be smart. The smart ratio is to eat 4 times more protein than Carbohydrates.

Hi, thanks for your response. My doc gave me a pamphlet, and we are on full liquids as soon as we get home. We are only on clear liquids in the hospital. I was just wondering about the meat portion of my full liquids menu, but i guess if you blend it well with broth its okay. I will try it before surgery and see. My doc says I can drink anything that could go through a straw, but do not use a straw.

Hi, thanks for your response. My doc gave me a pamphlet, and we are on full liquids as soon as we get home. We are only on clear liquids in the hospital. I was just wondering about the meat portion of my full liquids menu, but i guess if you blend it well with broth its okay. I will try it before surgery and see. My doc says I can drink anything that could go through a straw, but do not use a straw. Phase I is clear liquids in hospital, phase II are full liquids (comes with a chart of foods that must be thinned and blended) Phase III= pureed foods/Blended doesn't have to be really thinned. PhaseIV soft/regular foods around week 4

Hi

I am 1 1/2 wks post -op and having a really difficult time on the clear liquid so my doctor has pushed me up to the pureed stage. Good luck!

My doc's definition of "full liquids" is Protein Shakes, and STRAINED cream Soups and skim milk, in addition to the clear liquids which I was on for a full 7 days. He's a little more conservative than some though. I happily comply as I have one chance to heal, so, slow if fiiiine with me. It seems every doc is different though.

I'm having a hard time with the protien powders, I tried mixing it in my Decaf coffee for some reason it was ok yesterday, but not today why? It's very aggravating, nothing taste the same the second time I eat it. I have to keep trying to find that magic spot.

I'm having a hard time with the protien powders, I tried mixing it in my Decaf coffee for some reason it was ok yesterday, but not today why? It's very aggravating, nothing taste the same the second time I eat it. I have to keep trying to find that magic spot.

Perhaps your coffee today was hotter than yesterdays? I've heard that some of the Protein powders don't mix well with hot things.

my doctor is so strict he has us on pretty much the preop diet (im still pre op) for 4 weeks after surgery, and then pureed for 2, then soft for 1,,,, so ur definitely Lukki..