Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping With The Sleeve?

I'm 9 weeks out from band to sleeve conversion. I have had a couple of episodes of diarrhea and vomiting after I eat either too much or certain foods (ice cream)? You would have thought I had bypass. It does not happen all the time? Any ideas?

I'm 9 weeks out, too, and ice cream of any type makes me sick. Have you become lactose intolerant? It can happen. Fried foods may be too much for the sleeve at this point. Are you having gall bladder issues? Dumping is really uncommon with the sleeve, since the pyloric valve is still in place.

Some people do have dumping with the sleeve. Especially with ice cream. It could be lactose intolerance or toooooo much fat. ;)

If I eat more than a couple of bites of something sugary, I get all sweaty and nauseous for about an hour...I am thinking this is dumping?? I am also mildly lactose intolerant...if I drink my sugarfree latte a little too fast, I will have diarrhea... so, eating real icecream would make me feel awful!

Typically it's the fat that causes dumping. And this can be any type of fat. I once had a chicken stock while on the road that had a lot of fat and it caused dumping.

I'm 9 weeks out from band to sleeve conversion. I have had a couple of episodes of diarrhea and vomiting after I eat either too much or certain foods (ice cream)? You would have thought I had bypass. It does not happen all the time? Any ideas?

Why would you eat ice cream?

Ice cream and fried foods have to be a thing of the past. Going back to those bad foods will open the door to old habits and increase the chances of sleeve weightloss FAILURE....this is your chance and your shot to maximize your way to a new life...take advantage of it.

I definitely have "dumping," which has helped me avoid sugary foods (or sugar in combination with fat, like a former favorite frozen coffee drink). If you're going to have a bite or two of something sweet, definitely be sure to get your Protein in FIRST, for two reasons: having the protein in your tummy first makes it less likely that you'll have the dumping symptoms, and if you have eaten your protein, you'll be more full and less likely to succumb to too many bites of that sweet stuff! I find that if I stick with the "protein first" rule, I don't have a lot of trouble resisting sweets.

I agree with Worm and BettyBoop. This is your chance to change things. Avoid ice cream at all costs. It's a slider...

I thought it was physically impossible to have "dumping episodes" with the sleeve, but foods can make you sick and have diarrhea, etc. just depends on each person.

Thank you for the info, everyone. I haven't "indulged," so I guess I'll think twice in the future, especially since I don't have a gall bladder.

Ice cream and fried foods have to be a thing of the past. Going back to those bad foods will open the door to old habits and increase the chances of sleeve weightloss FAILURE....this is your chance and your shot to maximize your way to a new life...take advantage of it.

I so totally agree..............

We all have to remember that 20% of us WILL gain our weight back. Now is the time to set good eating habits....later when your hunger comes back and it will, those habits hopefully will be in place.

I thought it was physically impossible to have "dumping episodes" with the sleeve, but foods can make you sick and have diarrhea, etc. just depends on each person.

Not what my classes and surgeon told me....you can get dumping syndrome with the sleeve...

Is this actual dumping like bypass patients get or is it just you have been off certain foods for so long that it gives your system a hard time?

I know if I am on a restricted diet for a long time (I have done Optifast before), eating high fat and dairy gave me the runs big time too.

Dumping can happen, it does not happen to everyone. This is a really common misconception (that you don't dump with the sleeve).

I tend two see two approaches to bariatric lifestyles.

1. Avoid bad foods, they're what made you fat.

2. Don't avoid, just moderate.

When I had my band I only avoided the foods I knew I physically could not eat, like slimey fruits. They wouldn't go down without pain, so I just stopped eating them. I stopped eating red meat because I could not get it to chew up well enough. And so on. I suspect I will have the same approach, as much as I'm able, with the sleeve.

#2 is a holisitcally healthier approach, IMO. Part of the great thing about restrictive procedures is that you're still able to eat (for the most part) what you want. You just have a little bit of enforced will power. ;)