Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping With The Sleeve?

Maybe try sugar free or no sugar added ice cream. Blue Bell makes a no sugar added Dutch chocolate ice cream that I was surprised to find has 4g Protein and 6g Fiber per half cup!

I had bad reactions to dairy for about a year after my sleeve. I am now able to tolerate a little at 14 months out.

Dumping can happen, it does not happen to everyone. This is a really common misconception (that you don't dump with the sleeve).

I tend two see two approaches to bariatric lifestyles.

1. Avoid bad foods, they're what made you fat.

2. Don't avoid, just moderate.

When I had my band I only avoided the foods I knew I physically could not eat, like slimey fruits. They wouldn't go down without pain, so I just stopped eating them. I stopped eating red meat because I could not get it to chew up well enough. And so on. I suspect I will have the same approach, as much as I'm able, with the sleeve.

#2 is a holisitcally healthier approach, IMO. Part of the great thing about restrictive procedures is that you're still able to eat (for the most part) what you want. You just have a little bit of enforced will power. ;)

I'm a #2. I had about 1 oz of ice cream last weekend. Still lost 2 pounds. I'm not on a diet. People have to come off diets eventually so this is my lifestyle now. I may as well have had bypass if I can't have a bite of pie every now and then. I did this so I could eat like a normal thin person.

That said, if certain foods do not agree with you or you are unable to moderate, then abstaining is the only way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches