Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freshly Sleeved...with Lots Of Questions.

Good Afternoon,

My sleeve was preformed on Jan 6th. I waited almost 9 months for the procedure and the day finally came...

I started out weighing in at 335lbs. At almost 6 weeks post-op I am down a total of 49 Lbs. 17 of these were lost the 2 weeks before the surgery, and the rest after....I have a few issues that I need advice on. First is that I have been stuck at 49lbs down for almost 2 weeks.. I'm not losing.. I hate the scale but am drawn to it...... What is going on? Did I lose too much too fast? am I doomed?

Second is that I am having a hard time relearning how to eat... I feel I eat to fast and take big bites, then the food sits at the stomach opening and causes discomfort. What can I do?

Third is my lack of motivation at getting into the gym....

Any advice would be grand. . Thanks. Todd

Hi, We all have stalls,is something that we can't stop :( I do have a week where I can lose 2-3 lbs and then 2 weeks later I lose 0.

I do have a hard time still eating slow,I eat fast,is something I haven't been able to change even after surgery.

I suggest you to start going to the gym,trust me exercise is huge in this process. I even see the difference on me.

As you can see I was sleeved recently in November 11' and I have done a pretty good progress so far. ( a least I think so lol )

I do work out 5 times a week, I do cardio and weights. As soon as you start becoming more active,you will notice that

you have more energy to work out and everything else will fall in place :) Good luck!!

Trying eating less and make sure the food is really pureeded. This is your sleeve telling you to be gentle with it. Your stomach is swollen and healing itself still and you are adjusting to a new way of eating. Eat your food really slow. You are doing fine. Start walking around the house, office, street, and more and more each day. ;)

Thank you both..

So... I've ALWAYS been a super slow eater. My husband makes fun of how long it takes me to eat a slider! But I had to teach myself that behavior since anyone who's ever been to my mother's house knows we eat like we're in prison before she takes your plate away!

My advice on how to eat more slowly, for what its worth....

(1) Take small bites... seriously. Cut your food up like you would for a child.

(2) If you're one of those (us) who likes to watch TV while you eat, only eat during the commercials.

(3) Putting the fork down between bites really does help.

(4) Chew your food to within an inch of it's life. If it doesn't taste good enough to do that, you probably don't need to be eating it anyway.

(5) If it feels stuck, get up and walk around until you don't feel the discomfort anymore, then try again... small, slow bites!

Hope this helps!

Todd..........first of all congratulations on your surgery and your weight loss to date. I had my procedure on Dec 11 and have lost 36 pounds. I had a span of 2-3 weeks where I did not lose a single pound according to the scale but I knew that I just had to keep going. I know that everyone at some point will hit a stall and they get down on themselves. Don't as this is very common among sleevers. Second the scale.....I hate the scale and hide mine in the back of the closet and have to dig it out to weight. I only weight once a week that way if I an not losing as fast as I think I should then I do not get depressed. I do not know how some people can weight on a daily basis.....that would drive me nuts and I would be gorging on bad foods. I think that they are only doing them a dis-service.

As for the gym I have a similiar problem. I have good intentions but then I seem to find someway to talk myself out of it. I have now taken a picture of some guy from a magazine and put it on the refrig. It helps to motivate me a little even though I will never lood like that but I know that I will look a lot better than I did when I first started this journey.

Do not dispair as things will get better and you have a lot of living to do in your new life.

I cut all my food up like I'm feeding my granddaughter. Small bites & chew it up real good! I have an exercise bike & should use it more than I do. We all have stalls, but keeping on the right track & getting off our butts & moving around really helps. Good luck!

Hi, Todd--

I used to eat too fast, too. I bought myself a baby spoon and a cocktail fork, so that my bites would be little, and then I put them down in between bites. I'm a year out and unless I think about eating slow, I can still go too fast and then get the ickies (pain or slimies.) At six weeks out, it sounds like you hit the 3-week stall two weeks ago. Do not worry ,you aren't doomed to fail! Your body is adjusting and will begin to lose again. I weigh myself every day but I don't get upset if the scale doesn't move or if there is a small gain. I look for overall trends and chart my weight only on Tuesdays. For all of my weightloss the trend each month was downward. If you are freaked by no scale movement or a small uptick, then weigh less often, but I got fat by not weighing myself and wanted to change that after my surgery.

Thank you all very much.. I appreciate the advice...