Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Wait The Six Months Or Get A Loan And Go To Mexico?

What would you do? I do not know how to even start the process of getting a loan, but I am intrigued on the idea. How long would I have to pay it back? Is that determined while applying for the loan? Like others have said the six months might just fly by, but the idea is in my head.I do want to get braces so I can just do the six months and if I do get a loan use it towards braces.

Hmmm difficult decision indeed, but I would get Insurance to cover it if possible. Not just due to the money, but the post op care you could get Insurance to cover if the unforeseen happened and you had any problems or complications. Of course, waiting does suck. And are you sure that your insurance will cover the actual Sleeve? Some people go through the 6 month wait and supervised physician diet, only to find out they only have the option of getting the RNY or Band, cause they don't cover the Sleeve. Then there's all the many other hoops to jump through such as Psych evaluation, sleep study, nutritionist, Stress test, not all Dr's have you do all tests, but most do some or all. So you may not get your surgery at the end of the 6 month wait if you also then have to schedule a bunch of different other appts. There's a lot to consider, I know I didn't help you much here, lol. Good luck on your decision!

:)

Kiki, I like you will more than likely have a date around August. My question to you is...where are you head wise? I don't like to wait much for anything, but with this I'm anxious but willing to go the 6 months to search inside and 'practice' this lifestyle change. I've seen a nutritionist before...so I'm certain I know how that will go.

I am not liking the extra costs associated...but that is my insurance company!

I'm not keen on going out of the country to have the surgery done BUT, I'm all for supporting others if that is their desire. I want my mom here when I have my surgery and I want to not use more than one week of vacation, outside of my sick time. So...planning for that as well.

I hope you get the answers you seek.

I was in the same boat, except I already had the money. I was really falling apart and had a LOT of health issues and was getting worse. I decided to go for MX self pay despite the fact I have insurance.

In the 6 months or so that it would of taken to get approval I had already lost 100 pounds or more and most of my health issues had been resolved. It worked out best for me but you have to decide how desprit you are to get sleeved. YOU and only YOU have to make this decision.

The question I would want answered would be related to follow-up.after care. If you go to Mexico how does that work?

I went to Mexico and my primary care doctor does my followup. I had a lapband before the sleeve that was done by Dr Eibes and they dropped me as a patient after I went to Mexico as I could not afford $40,000 here in Des Moines, IA. I have not tried to get another bariatric doctor to care for me as I am not having any issues and if I do I will just go to the ER and they will find one that will come in to take care of me.

If my health insurance would pay for the surgery I would wait the 6 months and try to lose as much as possible in that time. I figure that if I have been overweight for 30 some years what is another 6 months.

I called my insurance about this, just incase I did go to Mexico and have it done, and they told me that if I had any problems afterward, that my health insurance would cover it, cuz it goes by "diagnosis", not by who did what surgery and where. So, God forbid, you get an infection, they cover the admitting diagnosis, the reason why it's infected or whatever has nothing to do with it.

That being said, I would wait the 6 months, just incase insurance pays for it, it'll save u a ton of $, and then u can use that loan money to get new boobs or Tummy Tuck, which insurances will never pay for. Just my opinion, good luck!

Something else to consider is what your deductible will be. I self-paid in Mexico because my insurance with the company I was working for did not cover it. My wife, on the other hand, was covered my policy when I changed jobs. We elected to have it here although the deductible was close to what I paid in Mexico. We had such a good experience in Mexico that is was difficult to convince my wife to have it done here and we had no waiting period in either place. I eventually convinced her that it made sense to have it here and avoid the travel. But that was the only reason we elected one over the other.

I vote for waiting for your insurance. I had my lapband in Mexico due to an insurance exclusion. The trip and surgery went fine. I actually had a great experience. Then after two years, I started having serious issues with my band. NO DOCTORS where I live would see me or wanted anything to do with me since I had surgery in Mexico. I had the phone hung up on me numerous times the second I said I had WLS in Mexico. Luckily, my insurance started covering WLS and I found my wonderful doctor who took me on as a patient and did my revision to the sleeve. There are many wonderful doctors in Mexico and I am not at all saying it is bad to have surgery in Mexico. You just need to have money set aside if something goes wrong so you can return to your surgeon. That is something I just didn't plan for. Good luck!!!

The question I would want answered would be related to follow-up.after care. If you go to Mexico how does that work?

I have to be honest. I went to Mexico. No insurance would ever pay for WLS here since I was a 31 BMI, but I knew I needed to do something to lose weight and KEEP it off. The scale just kept going up, and I was a food addict. I was miserable and desperate. In the end, I found out my insurance has restrictions on all WLS anyway. I had surgery with Dr. Kelly. He was great and I had an easy recovery. The hospital/clinic was adequate. I came home feeling great.

However, I'm almost six weeks out now, and I've been dealing with constant nausea and diarrhea. I've emailed my surgeon, and he emailed me back; I could call him too. BUT he can't prescribe me anything; he can't see me. I've had to see a general doc.

I think I would get MUCH better follow-up care if I'd gone in the States, and I would have had I had the choice. The follow-up care if you go to Mexico is nonexistent; no matter how attentitve the surgeon, he's THERE, and you're HERE, period. Many people don't require any follow-up care. I can certainly do lab work at my general doc's, BUT I so wish I had a bariatric practice to help me through the debilitating nausea. That's just my two cents. You have to weight the pros and cons.

I have to be honest. I went to Mexico. No insurance would ever pay for WLS here since I was a 31 BMI, but I knew I needed to do something to lose weight and KEEP it off. The scale just kept going up, and I was a food addict. I was miserable and desperate. In the end, I found out my insurance has restrictions on all WLS anyway. I had surgery with Dr. Kelly. He was great and I had an easy recovery. The hospital/clinic was adequate. I came home feeling great.

However, I'm almost six weeks out now, and I've been dealing with constant nausea and diarrhea. I've emailed my surgeon, and he emailed me back; I could call him too. BUT he can't prescribe me anything; he can't see me. I've had to see a general doc.

I think I would get MUCH better follow-up care if I'd gone in the States, and I would have had I had the choice. The follow-up care if you go to Mexico is nonexistent; no matter how attentitve the surgeon, he's THERE, and you're HERE, period. Many people don't require any follow-up care. I can certainly do lab work at my general doc's, BUT I so wish I had a bariatric practice to help me through the debilitating nausea. That's just my two cents. You have to weight the pros and cons.

I understand the follow-up care issue, which would be true anywhere you went outside of your local proximity. No doctor can refuse you medical attention just because you had a procedure elsewhere. They can make up other reasons, such as they are not accepting new patients, however. I discussed having my surgery with my doctor before I went and he was all for it. He felt that the medical benefits far outweighed the risks and he said he would be there for me for post care if I needed it.

In my case, I was strung out for 2 years by CIGNA before they decided one month prior to my surgery that they wouldn't cover it. I appealed it and it was denied. I had no other options and going to Mexico probably saved my life. I don't regret it and I think the people I met in Mexico were outstanding. However, given the choice, I would have had it here.

Kiki,

I waited and I am very happy with my decision. I did have health issues, but nothing that was getting dramatically worse at a quick pace.

For me, the comfort of knowing that i would have the surgery locally with all follow up covered, along with a comprehensive pre-surgery program made the wait well worth it to me. I also found the wait time helpful because I learned more about the surgery and what to expect after, followed a pre-op diet, went to in person support groups and joined this community. Also it gave me plenty of time to prepare for surgery, cleaning the house, getting stuff done like car appts, dentist appts, etc so I had less to worry about post-op.

Best wishes on your journey!

Lynda