Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

(Re Posted Here) Hi Guys ,new Here :) . Question About Strength

hello every one my name is moray am 23 y old 6ft2.5 350 lbs and am so happy that i joined this forums and see all these wonderful people and how i can really relate to there stories , any way i don't wanna go through my life story here nobody have time :tongue2: , thing is am planning to have my sleeve in the next month and am worried about only 1 thing and its power and strength , will i lose it forever or its just a temporarily thing ? i mean i can handle having a fatigue for 2 years even 3 but now my only advantage from guys who are in my age is my strength however am iffin miserable , thinking after the surgery and how i can wear anything i want and have friends and gf gives me strong motivation but my strongest fantasy goal is to be able to dunk in basket ball and compete in medium weight in kickboxing so you guys can see how strength is really important to me, cant wait to hear your story :smile1:

best luck for all :smile1:

ps : sorry for my grammar :tongue2: and i re posted this here cuz this is the right forum for it

hello every one my name is moray am 23 y old 6ft2.5 350 lbs and am so happy that i joined this forums and see all these wonderful people and how i can really relate to there stories , any way i don't wanna go through my life story here nobody have time :tongue2: , thing is am planning to have my sleeve in the next month and am worried about only 1 thing and its power and strength , will i lose it forever or its just a temporarily thing ? i mean i can handle having a fatigue for 2 years even 3 but now my only advantage from guys who are in my age is my strength however am iffin miserable , thinking after the surgery and how i can wear anything i want and have friends and gf gives me strong motivation but my strongest fantasy goal is to be able to dunk in basket ball and compete in medium weight in kickboxing so you guys can see how strength is really important to me, cant wait to hear your story :smile1:

best luck for all :smile1:

ps : sorry for my grammar :tongue2: and i re posted this here cuz this is the right forum for it

Heya moray and WELCOME!!

The answer to your questions are YES YES YES!!! Now... the first few months note that you may not have the best energy. Mine was pretty much kaput... but once I started to do my routines again, including walking, running and exercise machines, etc. I started to get my energy back.

And, I cannot tell you how much energy I have now. I burn a thousand calories through workouts every day and sometimes it doesn't even feel like it's enough!! I might bump that up to 1,500 a day next month. Anyhow, CONGRATS on your decision to change your life. You're lucky you're able to do this so young. Whoohooo!!

You will be able to dunk without effort someday. ;)

Well, I'm not going to lie to you. I lost a lot of muscle mass early on. Pre-sleeve, I could bench 150, no problem. Now, 125. Fly, 45# barbells, now, 40. But early on, I had no energy and the Protein drinks were tough as it took me awhile to find one that worked for me. Once I upped my carbs, my energy came back and I was able to workout again.

Now, I run 4x a week and do Tabata/weight lift 2x a week. My numbers have been increasing and my wife says she can see definition.

So, I think it is difficult not to lose some muscle especially if you drop quickly. I wasn't trying to drop quickly at all, but it happened that way. But it does come back, so I think you will be fine in doing whatever activities you want.

Ditto. I have always been strong (built more like the men in my family than the women - but I am OK with a little loss, because I plan to get it al back! I have been doing yoga for over 20 years, and that has helped sooooo much.

Just remember - protiens first! Always! and lay off the fad stuff! regular healthy foods and a good schedule of workout routines will have you pumped back up in no time!

The problem is going to be Protein intake. From your standard sources, meat, you won't be able to eat a lot... so you're either going to have to:

A.) Constantly be eating meat throughout the day... eat something every hour.

Or

B.) Find liquid Protein supplements and use them religiously. I'm two weeks out, and I can already tell you that if it's liquid, I can drink an infinite amount. So Liquid Protein isn't an issue.

IF it's solid though, I can eat maaaaybe half a cup to 3/4 of a cup. Not a whole lot of Protein in that amount.

For this, I started a strength training program with a personal trainer at my local gym. Pre-op I was sailing max weights with no probs...then come 3 weeks after sleeved I was a winded weak dude. In my mind all I can do is keep pumping the weights and then I'll get it back with some tone

For everything that you've said you want to do, it sounds like it your legs will be the most important of your strength training, which is good. Your legs were probably stronger to begin with (it takes a lot to move us around at the weights we carried) and are less affected by the WLS. Upper body and core are the more difficult to maintain or strengthen from my view point. I could do single rep leg presses of 785 lbs before the surgery, or 1.83 times my weight. I can now do 400 lbs on single leg presses, or 1.94 times my weight.

hi guys thx for all the replies you guys are so supportive and encouraging , from what i think after reading this is that when we are overweight we are naturally stronger than when were fit so its ok to lose some of that strength as long as it doesn't drop lower than the average human strength , am ready to compromise some of it to make me happy :) ,

i love when i hear from your experience is that ( you stay thin forever ), i think staying fit is 1000 harder than getting fit . :)

I'm about 2.5 months post op. Protein and Vitamins are very important! I get tired out of no where some days- but since switching my vitamins last week I feel.... just better some how. Should be interesting to see how I handle yet another week as a manager and a full time student... But you will love your sleeve! It is totally worth it!

"Iwish".... I replied to the other post and then saw this. This was my main concern as well since I played football for years and kept lifting after my football days. Lifting is very theraputic for me and I love doing it. But I also liked my strength, I was a bit reluctant to let it go, even though dropping weight (especially fat) was something that was more important to me. I know when I did the 2 week liquid diet in addition to the first 3 weeks post op, I saw my muscles just disappear almost overnight. All of that hard work in the weightroom was gone. It really freaked me out. I didn't have an emotional attachment to food and I don't miss sugary stuff or soft drinks at all now. But I really really missed my strength. Just keep in mind, our muscles have memory and they will eventually come back, slowly. Maybe not the slow progress of someone starting from scratch having never lifted due to our muscle memory, but it will be slow, thought progresses in the right direction. For example: I know deadlifts are a really good measure of overall body strength. I know about a month before my surgery (early Oct), I was deadlifting about 420 or so. In early December (month after surgery and 30 pounds lost) starting back in the weight room, I could barely deadlift 265, that's a major strength loss in 2 months due to liquids/mushies. I thought the 265 would be a good warmup and a good way to ease back into lifting, but I struggled to get one rep. I was in a bit of a panic state about that fact. But I kept up with my Protein intake (80 grams a day for me) and continued lifting and increasing the intensity. In mid January, I was up to doing triples (3 reps) of 295. And last week I pulled a 365 on my deadlift. So I know the strength has come back for me and with your young age, it will probably come back even sooner. Just make sure to ease back into lifting when your Dr gives you the go ahead. You'll be fine, just work hard and be patient with the small but steady gains. Also, olympic lifts (power cleans) are good for increasing that vertical jump for your basketball dunking goal. :D

I wish I had a lifting buddy here! grrrr. I miss it so much more after reading this!

thank u guys for all the replies ,aroundhky thanx a lot for givin me from ur time , you answered most of my questions and concerns , well at least i know what i should expect now , thanks again :)