Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Did You Choose The Sleeve Over The Band?

I had a band implanted in 2001. At the time, it was either that or the gastric bypass. I went to a surgeon who was (and still is) a very well known bariatric surgeon. The surgery went fine, and even though fills were not enjoyable, it was okay. My port access was not easy, but do-able.

Here are the reasons that I would never recommend the band:

1. I thought it was relatively benign/safer procedure. That is partially true in that the surgical procedure is quite safe, but it is NOT true in terms of long term complications. A very high number of people wind up with slipped bands, pouch dilation, flipped ports etc. The longer the time passes, the higher the complications rate. I believe that almost everyone needs to have their band out eventually. Back in 2001, the Bioenterics marketing materials even said that... to consider it a temporary device.

2. Living with the band.... was hard. At first, my hunger was reduced but over time I often felt hungry/not satiated even though my pounch was full. I resent the remark about how so many people "cheat" - try living with a tool that punishes you for eating dense Proteins and fresh vegetables and see what that does to YOUR head over the years. You get really tired of having food stuck or pain when eating and it is just easier to eat slider type foods.

3. Foreign object in your body - now, this didn't bother me too much, but since having the band removed I love not having that port in my side. I love that it is gone.

4. Weight loss. Some people do pretty well. I lost 70# with the band - the first 30 of that was during the liquid phase right after surgery. I lost 40# over the next year, which required exercise and basically dieting. It was really hard and I didn't lose as much weight as i wanted. I started having horrid reflux due to the pressure from the band. Fluid was removed, and it helped, but I also regained the weight.

I am only 2 monhts into the sleeve journey, but already it is just easier to live with then the band ever was.

Erosion and slippage.

Its common for patients to start getting inflammation leading to erosion and even complete perforation of the stomach with the band. Some causes are overeating, movement of the band, inappropriate fills and even through no fault of the patient themselves.

If the band slips the "fullness" feeling can be lost or the esophagus/stomach can become obstructed resulting in vomiting and the inability to eat. The majority of the above must be corrected surgically, not something I wanted to have to do if say it happened while I was on a cruise in the middle of the atlantic.

Many people also report still feeling hungry and "eating around" the band with milkshakes and other high calorie, easy eating foods. With the sleeve you don't get that constant hunger feeling.

Good luck with your decision!!

Read the band to sleeve revision forum here. There is a good reason there are so many of us who started wtih the band and ended up having to have it taken out. Living with the band is a complete nightmare!

Also, read the complications fourm at lapbandtalk.com . I personally think that the lap band should be removed from the market. Some doctors are now refusing to put them in anymore. Unfortunately, too many doctors are making a fortune from all the fills, unfills and complications, so they don't want to stop in spite of all the damage it does to the stomach and esophagus.

I chose the Sleeve because this was the best option. When I do something, I research the heck out of it first!! I was considering the LB first, until I read about the erosion and other yucky side effects. For me, the thought of having something foreign in my body and having to do fills, it was just too much :-(

Thank goodness for the GS!!!

Also the ByPass scared me, no coffee! Not for me!!! ;-) But I have a friend who did the ByPass, and it worked for her. I'm starting out on the smaller side (220lbs) at 5'4"

Everyone I tell thinks I've gone outer limits for wanting the Sleeve, this includes my Doctor of 12 years. I had to part ways with him, I have a new Doctor who agrees with my choice. I just love VST, where else can you be yourself and people still love and support you 100%

I started looking into the lapband a few years ago. I went to seminars and started reading. Last year I started reading the boards where lapbanders were talking about the problems they were having. I saw where many were going to get revisions to the sleeve. So I started researching it. I went to a support group that had people who had different kinds of wls. I read medical journal articles and studies, read all the boards for all the WLS and even joined a militant anti-weight loss surgery group on Yahoo to see if they could talk me out of it.

Even after all that I decided the sleeve was the best choice for me. I love that it is permanent. There is no constant adjusting. There is no food I can't eat - only in limited quantities. After the initial healing period there is very little risk of a leak. I don't have to dread the day in a few years when the band will have to removed due to slipping, eroding or leaking. The band doesn't last forever. You will have to make a decision at some point in the future to have it removed (and risk regaining all the weight), having it replaced (with all the same risks) or going over to another kind of WLS. And removing it can cause damage. Just ask some of the people here that have experienced that.

I had lost a lot of weight before but gained it all back and more. I know I needed something permanent. The bypass wasn't my choice because of malabsorption. I HATE taking Vitamins and barely manage what I have to take now, so I feel I would be in trouble with deficiencies if I went that way. Plus I've known some people that had bypasses and gained a lot of weight back.

Good luck and good for you in trying to be well-informed.