Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Craving Chinese Food.....

So I mentioned this in a previous post a month or so ago, but I am sooooo craving chinese food. I admit it....its my weakness. I'm just about three weeks post op and on soft foods (my surgeon is really from the school of 'try it...if it works, then great' except for bread, crackers or anything really hard that could cause a leak.) I think I'm just craving it cause I "can't" have it and once I do, I may not want it.....but ohhhh how good does some general tso's sound right now. Too soon?? I know that we have to focus on good food....but I've been really on track.

Oh and one other thing...I haven't had to much of an appetite since surgery, but the last day or so, boy is it coming back. Not overwhelming or anything, but I starting to feel hungry again...I haven't felt hungry since surgery.

a little egg drop or wonton Soup won't hurt.....those got me through the soft stage........i think i was craving the salty instead of all sweet foods (crystal light, Jello, sf popsickles).....

maybe egg drop Soup?

My wife found a product at our local Publix grocery store called Gardein - Mandarin Orange Crispy chicken in the frozen section. It is considered "Meatless" and typically I am not a huge fan of those types of foods but the nutrition values were not bad (plenty of Protein and not bad on fat or carbs) for serving so we tried it and much to my surprise it was very good. It was quick and easy to make and we just tossed in some broccoli and cauliflower when it was finished cooking. It completely satisfied my chinese food craving and we liked it so much that I picked up another bag for this week.

supermom......i think your right too. I'm so tired of sweet stuff. I used to have this big sweet tooth, but now, its just awful. I got a skinny latte yesterday from Starbucks and they put a touch of caramel on top....it was so ridiculously sweet I couldn't drink it. Before being sleeved, I would have added equal or sugar to it. Interesting how your tastes change.

I also love chinese food and would love to have some sort of veggies stir fried or something like like - I've been craving all kinds of vegetables and spicy! A friend of mine, who was sleeved abt 18 months ago and has lost over 150lbs, gave me a couple packets of a dried hot sour Soup that you add Water to, then strain the chucks out, and I added Beneprotein to that. Had great taste and helped satisfy the flavor craving. But, I'm so looking forward to sinking my teeth into something soon.

Today at work I totally left my Protein Shake and yogurt on my kitchen counter. So, at work my best option was a lentil soup (I'm still on the liquid Phase). It's kinda thick but nicely spicey, but thicker than anything I've had yet. So, I'm chewing chewing chewing the little lentils that aren't fully broken down and I think I've had 6 spoonfuls and I'm feeling super full.

I love my new stomach!

:blush5:

So here is something I found that I really liked early on. I would order steamed dumplings and discard the wrapper. That gave me a moist and well seasoned little bite. Put some soy sauce on it and I was set. You can even find recipes online for the dumpling filling and make it yourself without the wrappers.

Agree with the dumplings. I ate those early out and discarded the wrapper. I love PF Changes Ooolong Tea Sea Bass. It's expensive but so worth it. I don't care for eggs, but isn't Egg Foo Young basically an eggy omelet kinda thingy?

Lynda

You could go get some chicken and toss it in the slow cooker with some general tso's sauce that you can get in most grocery stores - that might help the craving and its still healthy! :)

The hot and sour Soup from PF Changs got me through!! It satisfied my chinese urges completely.

I have done lots of the insides of fast food when I am stuck without another option. The fillings of most burritos and tacos aren't bad if you're on mushies. I took apart a couple of soft tacos at Taco Bell a couple of days ago because I forgot to put a Protein bar in my purse that morning! At 5 months out I still can't really deal with breads or rice.

For chinese food, we have a great chinese buffet here. They have 4 or 5 lines of food and some friends took me out to dinner last night. I had some chicken w/broccoli and a bunch of shrimp prepared different ways. On soft foods, you could do the Soups, the egg foo young (removing big pieces of veggies or meat), the seafood "salad", which is basically a tuna-salad like mash of crab, fish and veggies. I don't like it myself, but I have an aversion to raw fish unless I can have wasabi. My sleeve does NOT like spicy food still.

I would avoid the rice like the plague, though. It still beats me up! :)

When I was on mushies, I got a cup of hot and sour Soup to take home and added additional cubes of tofu--basically using the soup as a sauce to flavor the tofu. Ate off of that for a few meals and LOVED it. That sort of sounds good now, too, come to think of it...

When I was on mushies, I got a cup of hot and sour Soup to take home and added additional cubes of tofu--basically using the soup as a sauce to flavor the tofu. Ate off of that for a few meals and LOVED it. That sort of sounds good now, too, come to think of it...

totally yum....

Everytime I see this thread title, it makes me crave chinese food!! :)

Update-well it turned out to be mexican food and then (sorta) chinese the next day. And I took advice from here and a few other topics and ordered of the al a carte menu and got a cheese enchilada with refried Beans and salsa. Went down okay but filled my stomach up really quickly. I ate about 1/4 of the enchilada with two teaspoons of refried beans and a tablespoon or so of salsa. It was reallllllly good. And it only cost me $6..lol. I tried general tso's wings yesterday and they were okay, but the greasyness of them and fat did make me feel very good. I tried a boneless wing too and that just got stuck. Its funny...after all that, all I wanted was cucumbers and healthy food, that I knew would go down okay, tasted good and would give me a sour stomach.