Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Week Post Op - Celebration And Questions

I had my 3 week follow up appointment yesterday. I'm down 35 lbs!!! :bananapowerslide: I am SO excited!! And being able to move to soft foods - OMG! I felt like it was my birthday and Christmas all in one! I cannot remember the last time I was able to lose 35 lbs!

I am also very proud of myself for not cheating. I was on just liquids for 3 weeks. I was not allowed yogurt, eggs, potatoes, apple sauce - nothing! Just Water, Crystal Light, Protein shakes, strained low fat clear Soup, broth, etc. UGH! I NEVER experimented! Not even dabbing my finger in something and tasting it. I patted myself on the back for it. :cheer2: And I am one that HATED Protein drinks. Premiere from costco were the best, but I don't want anymore.

So now with soft foods. After my appointment, I needed something last night so I got a small chilli from Wendy's. It was like a steak to me! I've never had chilli so good. I was only able to get down about 1/3 of it before I started having a funny feeling. It didn't feel like "full" did before surgery. I really didn't feel stuffed at all. But I felt a few funny gurgles in my stomach and began to burp a few times. I decided to stop then. Is this my restriction? How do you all know when you're full?

My NUT stresses getting Protein from food at this point vs. shakes. Today, I had 3/4 of a boiled egg sprinkled with a little low fat cheese for Breakfast, 2 oz. of canned tuna in Water with a little low fat mayo and a couple of crackers for lunch, later in the afternoon 2 oz of fat free deli turkey with 1 slice of low fat cheese, and I just ate 4 orange slices maybe an hour ago. I don't feel like eating anything else tonight. How in the world do you all get all of your protein in through food? Did I make decent choices?

I'm sorry to be so long. I wanted to share my good news and get some insight from you all to ensure that I am continuing on the right path. I've learned so much on this forum and appreciate all feedback. Thanks!

i luv reading other peoples Experinces before i get sleeved, Luv ur post !

Congratulations on your weight loss Curvy Diva! I was having the same problem... I couldn't tell when I was full. I would just eat and then suddenly feel funny. I just got off the phone with my surgeons Nurse Pract...and she said EAT SLOWER...She said it should take you a very long time to even eat half a cup of anything ... doing this will help you notice when you get full. I'm so glad my surgeon's office is so helpful.

Another thing, tuna has kind of become my best friend too because it's like the only thing that I can really eat that is decent. I would say that crackers, bread, rice (although I know you didn't have any) are probably not the best choices because those are common foods that can obstruct your sleeve. The dough doesn't digest the same in a sleeved stomach the way it does in ours. It sort of just sits in a lump until you can digest it and because of that it is easy for sleeve patients to obstruct if bread, pastas, rices, crackers ..become regular parts of our diets.Otherwise I think you're on a really good path to shedding more pounds and you're doing very well with your diet.

I talked to my nut and she told me to try egg whites with baby spinach and feta cheese (reduced fat) and measure about a half to maybe 1 tablespoon of the cheese. I'm excited to try this one myself.

Congratulations on the weight loss! Sounds like you're doing great!

Wow...All of our diets are so different...I was able to start mushies after week 2 but I am not allowed any meet or fish. I can start fish at week 4 and chicken at week 5. I am also allowed whole wheat crackers and 1/2 slice of whole wheat bread with Peanut Butter or fat free cheese. HOWEVER, I have stalled for a week now since I have been on mushies (and they have made me constipated--TMI)... I am very upset because I do not feel like I should be stalling this early in the game.. I have cut back to two shakes a day and 2-3 Snacks since I was unable to get my Protein in...This is definitely a full time job. Congrats on your loss... I have lost 35 all together but only 15 of that is since surgery (the same day as you).

I'm happy to read different diet choices! I get my sleeve done 2/13 and this is my biggest issue.. Having choices and hearing suggestions like these! Congrats to you all! I pray for your success as well as my own!

Woo-hoo!! Way to go girl! I had my second post-op follow up and I'm down 27lbs! I pulled on pants that were tight earlier in January and they're ROOMY!! I get to begin to dabble in some real food next week. I totally got the evil eye for drinking Protein Drinks. My surgeon is all anti Protein drinks. I got a little print out and I've lost 20.5% of my excess weight! Unbelievable...

i luv reading other peoples Experinces before i get sleeved, Luv ur post !

Thanks! Do you have a date yet?

the burpies lasted a while for me. I hated it sooooo much!I also got the slimmies for a while too. I get the hiccups when I am full. I also get them when I am hungry. :)

the nurse was right....slow way down when you eat, and really really dont drink anything with those meals. It would make me sick sooooo bad when I tried to cheat. good luck!

Way to go on the weight loss, and great self control. Your hard work is shinning through!

not yet, they said around june 2012 when i started my journey back in dec 2011, but ive done all my test and have to lost only 10 #s , so im going to request sooner, like spring break : ) I hope they agree

Congratulations on your weight loss Curvy Diva! I was having the same problem... I couldn't tell when I was full. I would just eat and then suddenly feel funny. I just got off the phone with my surgeons Nurse Pract...and she said EAT SLOWER...She said it should take you a very long time to even eat half a cup of anything ... doing this will help you notice when you get full. I'm so glad my surgeon's office is so helpful.

Another thing, tuna has kind of become my best friend too because it's like the only thing that I can really eat that is decent. I would say that crackers, bread, rice (although I know you didn't have any) are probably not the best choices because those are common foods that can obstruct your sleeve. The dough doesn't digest the same in a sleeved stomach the way it does in ours. It sort of just sits in a lump until you can digest it and because of that it is easy for sleeve patients to obstruct if bread, pastas, rices, crackers ..become regular parts of our diets.Otherwise I think you're on a really good path to shedding more pounds and you're doing very well with your diet.

I talked to my nut and she told me to try egg whites with baby spinach and feta cheese (reduced fat) and measure about a half to maybe 1 tablespoon of the cheese. I'm excited to try this one myself.

Thanks! In my class yesterday, we were told to eat within 20-30 minutes. It took me around 45 to eat the chilli last night. Today, I ate within 30.

I am not allowed to eat soft bread or Pasta in this phase at all. She did say we could have crackers and to be sure to chew well. I only had a couple and don't plan to eat many of them. They're empty calories. Thanks for the info.

The recipe sounds delicious! I will try that a little further out.

Woo-hoo!! Way to go girl! I had my second post-op follow up and I'm down 27lbs! I pulled on pants that were tight earlier in January and they're ROOMY!! I get to begin to dabble in some real food next week. I totally got the evil eye for drinking Protein drinks. My surgeon is all anti Protein Drinks. I got a little print out and I've lost 20.5% of my excess weight! Unbelievable...

Wonderful! You're doing great! I wore a pair of pants on Monday that I purchased in August. When I wore them that first time, the button popped off by noon! Needless to say, I came home and hung them in my closet. I tried them on again for the first time this week. Not only were they easy to pull up and zip, but they were baggy in the seat and thighs! I was CUTE in my baggy pants all day, girl! LOL!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement!