Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved On Jan 24Th. - Gained Weight

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on vertical sleeve talk. I was sleeved at 8 AM on Tues Jan 24th 2012.

My starting weight 3 days before surg was 198 LBS- got on the scale this AM & weigh 204 !!!!! I do understand that could be air/gas, fluids from all of the IV's. But WOW - was shocked to see that number. All I have had in my body since Jan 22 at midnight was : Water, Protein Isopure water, chicken broth, ice chips, and sugar free popcicles. I should add that I seem to be very lucky, because I can consume my min of 40 OZ of water & Jello since surg without any problems. Anybadvice would really help as an explanation for the weight gain. Thanks !

Give it a few more days for the fluids and swelling to go down and you will see the scale moving in the right direction. I too gained weight from surgery am to when I weighed a few days post op. I am now 8 days post op and I have lost 8.6lbs. Keep sipping, keep walking and you'll be fine. I also am getting in all my fluids everyday including two Protein Shakes so that isn't hurting you! Welcome to the losers bench and also to the forum!! :)

I had also gained weight after my surgery. I pre op wt on Jan 25th was 208. When I weighed on Wed after I left the hospital I was 210. It was all from the IV fluids. I weighed myself on Fri I was 206. So it will start to come off.

Don't panic! I am not sleeved yet but have had 3 c-sections and after each one of them, I came home weighing several lbs more than when I went in AND had had a decent size baby! It always took about 10 days and then all over a sudden it would just fall off. They really pump you full of Fluid in the hospital so just give it a bit of time and try not to weigh yourself for several days - then you will likely get an impressive drop! Congrats on being sleeved - I can't wait to join you in a few weeks!

KCsmicah - thanks for the info. Looks like we were both sleeved around the same time. How are you feeling? I seem to have alot of gas pain, & a fair amout of trouble getting in & out of the bed. I have no trouble waking around. We seem to be the lucky ones - being able to get so much Fluid in this early on. Whats on your recent menu ? Im trying to get some flsvor - somewhere ! Any suggestions would help. Feel free to tell me your story. It looks like i'll be in his bed till monday morning.

Don't fret! Totally, totally typical. My surgeon required a low calorie diet of 1400 calories about a week and a half before surgery and I lost 10 lbs doing that. I spent two days in the hospital and when I came home I was 8 lbs heavier and that's totally normal. Your only method of nutrition right now is fluids and most people still have a drain, there's some abdominal bloating, etc ... it's all normal. Give yourself a few weeks and you will be sitting on the loser's bench in no time.

Yep, I agree with everyone else - it's the fluids. They had me weigh myself the first night I was in the hospital and I had gained 14 lbs!!!

By the time I got home 2 days later I was back to my pre-op starting weight. :)

I agree with everyone. Just to share my experience...I was sleeved on Jan 10. I came home on the 12th and was 8 lbs heavier. The nurses prepared me for that, so I didn't panic. It quickly fell off. I've lost those 8 lbs plus another 24 from my date of surgery weight.

Curvy Diva

Did I read correctly ????? You lost 24 LBS from your surg on JAN 10th ! WOW , congrats . I have no idea what pace I'll lose my weight - everyones says it'll be fairly quick. Cant wait to see. Keep up the work !!!

Curvy Diva

Did I read correctly ????? You lost 24 LBS from your surg on JAN 10th ! WOW , congrats . I have no idea what pace I'll lose my weight - everyones says it'll be fairly quick. Cant wait to see. Keep up the work !!!

Thanks so much! I was actually in a funk all week because the scale didn't move for 6 days! Well actually it went up a lb on one of those days. But, I've had a ton of menstrual issues since surgery, so I'm guessing I was retaining Water. I was pleased to see it go down today. My 3 week follow up is on Wednesday and then I can move to soft foods. YAY! I can't describe how excited I am! If I could still turn cartwheels, I'd do so all the way down my driveway that morning!

I wish you a speedy recovery! Rest, follow your doctor's orders, and DON'T experiment! I can't wait to read your updates!

yes to the Fluid gain. I put on mute than 10lbs and my IV hand was puffy for several days at home.

curvy diva- you and I are on similar paths! I was sleeved on the 9th and am down 25lbs. I'm stalled too but I know from reading here it's just a stall. I'd love to see the scale move but I'm not freaking yet!

Congrats on being sleeved - I can't wait to join you in a few weeks!

Jess - who's doing yours? I got sleeved 1/20 by Dr Kim in Celebration. I haven't found many on this site from our neck of the woods so I'm always curious when I find someone.

yes to the Fluid gain. I put on mute than 10lbs and my IV hand was puffy for several days at home.

curvy diva- you and I are on similar paths! I was sleeved on the 9th and am down 25lbs. I'm stalled too but I know from reading here it's just a stall. I'd love to see the scale move but I'm not freaking yet!

That is awesome! I have a high BMI and a lot to lose so I find myself being anxious. But I can't tell you the last time I've lost over 20 lbs on any program, diet, plan, fad, etc that I've tried in the last 3 years. Keep up the good work! We'll encourage each other.

This makes me feel a lot better. I don't have a drain and still feel very swollen and bloated. I am almost back to my pre surgical weight and was sleeved the 25th. It's frustrating to have nothing but a little Fluid and not see weight loss yet, but know it will come. I'm still pretty sore as well.