Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one in NW WA

I am 34 and live in Auburn, WA and my surgery is in 11 days at the Northwest Weight Loss Surgery Center in Everett, WA. My surgeon is Dr. Kevin Montgomery and from what I've heard of him, he's a really good one. My mom also had the banding done by him almost 3 years ago. I'm starting to get pretty nervous about going in for surgery, but I know that's because I've never had surgery before, or even a broken bone for that matter. Does anyone have any advice to try and calm my pre-op nerves??

Hello,

I've dropped in on this thread once or twice before. Now that I've got a date, I'm going to do better with sticking around, lol.

My name is Jenna and I'm up here in Stanwood. I'll be going to Colorado for my surgery on May 22nd.

I heard that there is a good fill doctor really close to me in Arlington. If anybody has any experience with them, I'd love to hear about it.

I have been using Priceline a lot, naming my own price for round trip tickets to Denver and the always accept $10, lol. So a total of $38 all together with taxes, then whatever for the taxi to the doctor in Colorado and maybe a hotel room... it's cheaper to just go to him for the free fills, lol. Cheaper but not more convenient then driving a few miles to Arlington.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm stickin' too it.

I could probably meet on Friday for a walk. I'll be gone to WSU to pick up my daughter (finishing her freshman year) on Wed/Thurs. I'll be working Friday, but if it is nearby I might be able to take a long break, been missing so much sork lately is an hour or 2 really going to matter?

nbjen,

i Hope All Went Well With Your Surgery. I'm Sure We Won't Here From You For Maybe A Day Or Two Longer Maybe By Monday. Before You Left You Asked How Things Are Going For Me. Things Are Pretty Good. Since My Fill Witch Will Be 2 Weeks On Monday, I Am Down 5lbs Slower Then I Thought But I Am Down A Total Of 30lbs Since 3-15. But I Was A Size 20 Now I Am In A 16 Depending On Where The Pants Are From. I Have Felt Like I Wanted To Bp Or Slim A Few Times Since The Fill, But Have Not Yeah....

anyway Good Luck To Everyone Getting Banded And Just Been Banded And Those Of Us Learning How To Make This Tool Work For Us.

Hey all, just checkin in after surgery 04-26-07. I was really scared, mostly because I didnt follow the pre op diet at all,.I know how stupid it was but just had way too many personal things going on. When they pulled the breathing tube out, I had a real hard time breathing! this was one of by biggest fears and it came true. I was the last one to leave the OR recovery room and was kept on oxygen for another 4 hours after surgery. remember breath deep, the deeper the better to get all the sleeping gas out of ASAP! the pain from the stomach was very minimal. however, since I have a bad back injury I cannot lay on my back for more than 5 minutes, I was on my back for 4 hours which really hurt, the back pain was a 9 out of 10 on the pain scale. once they got some liquid pain meds in me and i was able to lay on my side I was fine. I actually took a couple 15 min naps in the hospitol between them checking my BP, temp, ect. At about 1pm I was ready to go home, got some more pain meds on board and took some more naps at home. I have had a real sore throat from the breething tube so SF popsicles are a MUST! so far I have eating small portions of Jello, pudding, drinking sips of Water and today is the only day I have felt nausiated. one of the insicions is swollen and hard like a small orange. Took a shower for the first time today, that felt good, but I am still a little weak.

anyone else noticed on the cuts being hard? maybe that is where the port is?:help:

Congrats to all who've been banded this week...sounds like it's been a big week of bandings & first fills. I pray a sppedy recovery for all!

What pre/post or diets have been required by your docs?

Anone found good economical sources of Protein Drinks & Vitamins?

Lucygirl - Just take it super easy for the next few days and don't try to do ANYTHING! Keep eating the SF popcycles, they are my favorite, since you can have a ton of them and they are only about 15 calories. Is your swollen incision on the left? That's where my port is. It was sore for a couple weeks, and they were all hard to one extent or another. I've still got one that's healing slowly.

As for WALKING on Friday, I'm in. Are we going to meet at Tacoma Mall again ? (I missed last week....bummer) I'm up for meeting anyone at TM for walking just about any time.....Once the weather gets good we can meet outside!!!!!!

Merrillee

Lucygirl...hang in there, I'm praying for you. I can't speak to any band issues (my banding is next month) but I did had thyroid surgery a year ago and the incision was quite hard...felt like a rope under my skin for many months, it's normal. If there is redness, swelling and/or fever definitely call your doc, better safe than miserable.

Merrillee, we missed you yesterday, were hoping to meet. Next Friday should be good, I'm quite sure I can slip away for a walk, I've got to start making that a priority.

Sue

yes, the swollen incision is on the left, doesnt look infected and I dont have a temp, its just hard like a small orange. Taking it real easy today!

Hi ladies, now that I'm finally banded, maybe I'll post more and not just lurk:spy. Do any of you know how NWWLS is on there first fills. I'm only 2 weeks out and I'm amazed and how much I can eat. I've gained 2 lbs of the 9 I had lost. Looking forward to chating with you.

druth.....

Nice to hear from you, and congratulations on being banded! I'm getting my first fill tomorrow.

As for being able to eat anything....what were the rules your doctor gave you? We're supposed to be using a great deal of self-control now and only having fluids....protein shakes, etc. The reason being that they don't want your stomach working much digesting regular food while it heals....so that the band stays in place and doesn't slip, etc. So, it would be wise to stay on the plan, even if you can "eat anything", so as not to mess up the expensive work your doctor did. Eventually, when you've had a fill or two the band will then be working for you as far as limiting the amount you eat....as long as you follow the rules and don't drink after eating, etc.

I've lost 24 lbs since being banded a month ago.....not that I haven't cheated a little...But it's extremely important to follow the rules and let things heal. The band doesn't "work" immediately. Not until it's healed and you have had some fills.

Hang in there....it's not so bad.....and SO much better than being sick and fat like I have been.

Merrillee

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for taking so long to post but I really didn't expect all the pain for the first two days. I think that is mostly because my Doctor does "preventative" stitch on your stomach muscle so you won't get a hernia and that was mostly my pain plus where the port is. Today is day 3, had Surgery on Friday April 27th. Today is when all the gas has been escaping and I feel better by the hour. If it keeps going this way I think I will be able to get back to work on Wednesday.

I arrived at the hospital at 10:00 am and checked in. I had to wait a while in the waiting room (no private pre-op waiting rooms) and then was called back and changed into a gown. That took me a long time because I was worried by bare tushie was going to be hanging out as I walked to wherever I was going so I ended up trying on 3 of the same size gown (hoping it would be bigger!) and then I just put it on the way it was suppose to be and then put another one on like a robe. So I'm sure the nurse was wondering what I was doing in there!! Hah! Anyways I came out and had to get right on a bed so I didn't have to worry about walking around in the gown. Then I went to the pre-op waiting area and got my IV, spoke w/my Surgeon, my Nurse and Anesiologist (sp). Then it was time.... Yikes!!! Then they gave me something to go to sleep and it was over. I was in recovery and not breathing deep enough so they kept reminding me to do that and then gave me two shots of pain meds. I have to admit I was in a lot of pain and hadn't expected it. Then I was sent to a room and I had the pain med that I could give myself via a button. So every 10 minutes I was pushing that button!!! Anyways, I didn't end up leaving until about 8:30 pm because I got neasus :guess (sp) from the pain med and had to wait for that to simmer down before leaving. It was nice to be in a room in a comfy bed and not be pushed out to go home.

Anyways, I've been sleeping on my couch watching HGTV and the food network (I know but I love to cook!). No appetiete and trying to get Fluid in and feeling better by the hour. I have gone through all the emotions of I can't beleive I can't control what I eat and I had to do this and then to even pay for it myself!!! I just have to keep telling myself it's worth it!!

I have a 1 week post op visit on Thursday and then back at 6 weeks and I think I get a fill at that appointment. So overall, I was happy with my doctor and the hospital but not happy with the pain (who would be?) but I'm on the road to recovery and should be even better tomorrow now that this gas is making it's way out.

Cindy - I'm so glad to see that your doing so well, your an inspiration!!! I would love to loose 30 lbs, I can't imagine how good that feels.

Lucygirl - Good job and you made it through :) I have the same pain where my port is and it's the biggest incision, the other little incisions don't bother me at all.

Oh,,, I lost 8 lbs on the pre-op diet :clap2: But I weighed myself this morning and was back up about 4 pounds probably from fluid retention. So now I have to try and not weigh myself!!! That will be hard!

Sorry for the long post :) I'll check back and see how everyone else is doing. If I get brave I'll post a picture of my tummy so you can see what it looks like...

Thanks for all the support!!

Nbjen, Yeah I Am So Happy You Are Doing So Will. You Will Be Down 30lbs Before You Know It. I Love Watching The Cooking Channel Too. Love To Cook. Pretty Soon You Can Cook And Eat A Couple Of Bites And Be Full Its Great. Don't Get Me Wrong I Still Want To Pig Out And Get Upset That I Can't. Its That Stupid Emo. Eating That Gets To Me.

I'm back! I was gone for the weekend with my sisters and sister-in-law planning a family reunion for about 140 people. They wondered why I was eating so strange so I told them it was a new diet regime with my doctor. I was drinking my Protein Shakes and taking tons of Vitamins. My sister-in-law knows about the surgery and is very supportive but my two sisters are both overweight and would think it was to drastic. This knowing who you can talk to is difficult and I'm still tryng to figure it out. That's why I love coming on here and spending time with like-minded people.<br /> <br /> nbjen - you did it! Thanks for sharring about your surgery and recovery! I hope it gets better everyday for you. keep us informed.<br /> <br /> Mer & Sue - Friday would be great. If it's sunny then let's walk on Grandview, if windy and rainy then let's walk the Tacoma mall. Could we do ti earlier then 12:00 or is that the best time for you guys. I'm flexible, nothing on the calendar yet.<br /> <br /> Druth - welcome! I have come to realize that those of us who are with Dr. Oh have a much more restricted diet pre and post op then anyone else. I'm okay with that though because I am hoping for a significant drop in weight at the beginning to give me the kick I need to keep it up.<br /> <br /> Lucy - it sounds like things are going well for you. I love how you guys are so honest with your recovery so I know what to expect. keep us posted and keep up the speedy recovery.<br /> <br /> Dawn - welcome and I am right there with you about the jitters. As it gets closer I think I have more mixed feelings about this whole thing. It does me so good to read about the successes of those who have gone before us. I know this is the best option for me but a part of me wishes I could do it with just diet and exercise. Honestly though . . if we could . . .we wouldn't be at the weight we are. So stay real!<br /> <br /> Cindy - thanks for the updates, it really gives us hope. You are so encouraging and successful. Thank-you<br /> <br /> For anybody else who wants to meet and walk it looks like next Friday something, somewhere, is going to happen. jump in and let us know you are interrested.