Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking While Eating

Please don't speak in absolutes as if this is for everyone. As noted, there are some of us that have been quite successful and do drink with our meals and have not had any issues. Speaking for myself, sipping small drinks is all I can manage, but I DO drink before, during and after and do not have issues. I also have not experienced any stretching of my stomach because I am taking very small bites, and chewing well.

My surgeon didn't have any issues with drinking with meals as long as I was getting in my Protein first, small bites and chewing well.

Yeah....and just because your surgeon said it doesn't make him absolutely correct either. If you polled 100 VSG surgeons I would make a bet that 99 of them would say no drinking after eating. It's a mixture of common sense, physics, and anatomy.

If this is directed at my post, then post some published studies that state drinking while eating causes damage to the stomach, stretching, etc. Your post comes across as rather high and mighty without anything to back it up. As I said, my surgeon doesn't believe drinking sips with eating causes any problems and he has been around a long time doing this.

And where is your published study? You aren't doing anything but parroting your surgeon also. Talk about high and mighty.

You need to STOP right now! I have never until now gotten upset at anyone here on this site until this type of RUDE and UNCALLED for posting.

Look at my ticker and tell me whether I've been successful or not. more than 110# lost in 7 months!

I don't care what you do or anybody else- but don't ram your theories down someone else's throat. I simply stated a FACT that not everybody has issues with drinking before/ during/ after eating- period. WHat you do is your business. What I do is MY business and you nor anybody else has the right to condem me for it. PERIOD!

Now STOP!

And where is your published study? You aren't doing anything but parroting your surgeon also. Talk about high and mighty.

Dr Aceves says you can drink right up until you start your meal because liquids will leave the pyloric valve immediately.

No drinking 30-45 min after a meal because you are supposed to fill up on Protein first and veggies if there is room. There should not be any room for liquids and he said liquids will stretch your stomach like a Water balloon. I do take one tiny sip after I eat because I am too thirsty but it's like less than a teaspoon of Water.< /p>

Wow, we have a lot of passionate people here, which is good ... to a point. As I have stated many times before, an internet forum is only one place to get information. I believe your questions should be first posted to your surgical team or your PCP as they know your particular situation better than anyone.

Everyone is different, for sure. I, by no means, am a veteran or an expert in the VSG world. I have had success working with my team and doing what I need to do, as you can see from my signature, but it is by no means the right plan for someone else.

One of the problems, though, as I have seen many threads by folks stating that they are 12 months out and have only lost 30 pounds ... admit they eat and drink at the same time and don't always eat the right foods (slider) ... are suprised by how much they can eat ... figuring they have stretched their stomachs back to normal size again ...

Assuming the surgeon had removed 85% of their stomach, how can they be back to eating large portions again? Let's throw the "stretched stomach" theory out the window, though. I will speak in absolutes about that one. I researched this topic and asked my surgeon this. He laughed. The stretchy part, the part that distends when over-eating, was removed. To stretch it out would take far longer than 12 months and take a concerted effort to do. Knowing how I eat now, I can understand that. If you really believe you can stretch your sleeve back to normal size in 12 months, I suggest you talk to your surgeon and research the topic. Sleeve, not bypass pouch.

I know from my experience the one way I can eat close to 'normal' portions is to drink with my meal. How is that possible without a stretched stomach? Research pyloric valve function. I'm not going to post my research here as I will come across as a know it all, and that is not my intention in a highly energized topic. If you don't want to believe it, don't. Do your own research but don't take one internet forum and one thread as gospel.

Let's support each other here, OK?

Amen to supporting one another pdx!!!

You do not have to site a study based on stomach surgery related directly to bariatric WLS. There are ample texts that site the anatomy of the stomach and the physiology behind what is taken for proper maintenence of a 6-7 inch incision running through what used to be your stomach. Alot of soilders, cancer patients, ulcer patients, gall bladder septicemia and the like have histories of having to remove small and large parts of their stomachs. They had to go through relearning their stomachs, proper healing, etc.

Curious if I had been on a vein that there had been agreement if you owuld have requested citation.

Google is a great resource although you will have to take a bit and really explore. Medical journals are good also but again you cant just google "bariatric studies". There is alot of information I reference that I read a few years ago as a friend went through a gall bladder going gangrenous and she lost a large portion of her stomach. It wasn't online and sorry I do not have the texts with me.

I am not going to apologize for coming off high and mighty, as I didn't mean to. My post was not aimed at any one, and it does state facts. If I can't post more thatn an occasional "that's great, woot woot" - then I will eventually tire of this. I need people who will step up and tell me whats-for, and not worry about hurting my feelings. Yes - the whoot, whoots are very important too! In return I try to do the same.

I have never been the person who worries about anyone who would tell someone in a social forum to "STOP IT". I am not PC, I am in my corner, and everyone else has a corner too - and we come into the middle and play. We are here for support and encouragement and I feel I have done well by my posts. If not, you may block me - there is a feature in our controls to do so.

To diffuse the situation I offer happy bunny jumps:

I told doggzzzzzz to Stop it because he WAS attacking me. I did not accuse you of attacking me, I only asked for documentation to back up your statements because you state your opinion as fact.

As I said, in all the time I have been a member here, this is the first time I have ever encountered such vicious statements on here. I have liked coming here because of the support, information, etc. People can have opinions, but they should not state them as facts. I have done enough of my own research, I don't need to do any further.

And, btw, dogzzzzz has been blocked and reported to Alex.

You do not have to site a study based on stomach surgery related directly to bariatric WLS. There are ample texts that site the anatomy of the stomach and the physiology behind what is taken for proper maintenence of a 6-7 inch incision running through what used to be your stomach. Alot of soilders, cancer patients, ulcer patients, gall bladder septicemia and the like have histories of having to remove small and large parts of their stomachs. They had to go through relearning their stomachs, proper healing, etc.

Curious if I had been on a vein that there had been agreement if you owuld have requested citation.

Google is a great resource although you will have to take a bit and really explore. Medical journals are good also but again you cant just google "bariatric studies". There is alot of information I reference that I read a few years ago as a friend went through a gall bladder going gangrenous and she lost a large portion of her stomach. It wasn't online and sorry I do not have the texts with me.

I am not going to apologize for coming off high and mighty, as I didn't mean to. My post was not aimed at any one, and it does state facts. If I can't post more thatn an occasional "that's great, woot woot" - then I will eventually tire of this. I need people who will step up and tell me whats-for, and not worry about hurting my feelings. Yes - the whoot, whoots are very important too! In return I try to do the same.

I have never been the person who worries about anyone who would tell someone in a social forum to "STOP IT". I am not PC, I am in my corner, and everyone else has a corner too - and we come into the middle and play. We are here for support and encouragement and I feel I have done well by my posts. If not, you may block me - there is a feature in our controls to do so.

To diffuse the situation I offer happy bunny jumps:

To PDX and Sleeve4me,

Ditto on encouragement, I did not see PDX's post at first - posted from my phone and it does odd things...

It's all good.

Yeah, but what about the cute bunny?

*back in my corner, lol*

Yeah, but what about the cute bunny?

*back in my corner, lol*

It was CUUUUTE :)

Good afternoon to all, lets remain calm and collected while posting please. We all have our own ways of getting to where we need to be, and what works for one may not work for another. Everyone's journey is their own and everyone has the right to express how they are working their sleeve.

The important thing here is to just remain respectful when replying to someone, especially if you disagree with them.

Thanking everyone in advance.