Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Popping Port

Can you guys explain how your port feels? Mine feels like a marble that's just about to pop out of my skin. Is it supposed to be this close to the surface? It feels like it's just under the top layer.

By the way, I have the new mini-port.

Mine does too.

I copied this from NFOLDS, I found this interresting

My husband and I both had lapband and he also has lost about 25 pounds....He also has a bulge where his port is. I don't know if this is your busband's problem, but my husband has a very firm stomach area, unlike mine which is flabby. We were told that what that means is his "fat" is between his organs and his muscle, whereas mine is between muscles & skin....My port is deeper thru the fat layers and his is right below his layer of skin and muscles. He had his first fill the other day and I watched....the needle was very short compared to the long one they used on me.

I wasn't able to feel my band until I lost a significant amount of weight. Now I can actually see it in the mirror. I've heard that they now make new lower ports that don't stick out that much. Who knows maybe one of these days when I get to my goal I'll have an upgrade ;-)

Thanks, Alex, but I've been mistaken this whole time. I thought my port was actually popping out of the incision. I've heard several times this week that the port is actually several inches below my incision. The thingy I felt popping out of the incision is hard and calloused, like hardened scar tissue. It's all so odd.

Hi Delarla.

I've been following you since your surgery was a week or two before mine. My port feels exactly like that, especially if I roll from my side to my back in bed. Good luck to you, I know that port has been giving you grief. It will become a blessing soon!

Denise

Hi Denise! Silly me thought that my port was actually popping out of the incision because there was a little hard ball that I could (and still can) roll around right under my incision. I thought it was the port trying to pop out. Yes, I have port incision issues. I have pictures if anyone is interested but I don't know how to attach them.

Before my problems weren't even my port, but they were my port-incision. It's a really ugly scar now, and it's hard like they inserted a chunk of marble under my skin. I guess it's hardened scar tissue that will eventually break down. I think it's normal. I wish I could stop obsessing over it!

Now I have real port pain. I started going to the gym too soon, and now I feel exactly where my port is trying to attach to muscle, which is a couple inches below the incision and a bit to the left. EESH, I can hardly walk because it hurts so bad, so I'm doing a couple days of Motrin therapy and rest for a few days, which I think should fix me up.

How are you doing with the whole surgery? I think my biggest problem is that I never really drank much alcohol before, and now my band seems to enjoy it. New neighbors moved in, and my new friend is a major party girl. Every night she calls me over for cocktails but I usually only partake on Fridays. I used to drink a few times a year. Now that I'm trying to avoid useless calories, the parties in my neighborhood are going strong! So I'm pushing extra Water, and that's why I was doing extra at the gym, to compensate for booze calories. I haven't actually gotten drunk, but a few glasses of wine go down way, way too easy. I'm hoping to get my first fill in 6 weeks, and at that time I'll start limiting myself to one glass.

Hey Delarla,

I'm a cajun gal from down the bayou, and we love to drink (and eat!). We eat anything that doesn't take a bite out of us first! That's how I got in this situation. I feel like I've been given a second chance since I got this band. I really was prepared not to lose, cause I've failed so many times. I've lost 18 lbs. in 12 days!

Whew! I've been on weight watchers "religously" for 4 months and never lost this much. Of course, I know it's Fluid, But who gives a crap! I'll take it!

I saw the pics of your port, and it looks like you're gonna have a sizable keloid scar, no wonder you've been so worried, all the other incisions look great. Hopefully the rascal will calm down and heal quietly and quickly. Good Luck!

Denise

I am totally responsible for getting my body into the blown-up portion that it is. I love food too much. I have to bypass so many things I love, like pizza, Pasta, mexican food, etc. I've been going through a little bit of depression the last week. I'm on pureed foods and I'm already tired of them. I'm ready for some variety, some real textured food. But I know I can't jump over too soon, so the band will anchor. I've had some grabbing spastic pains horizontally between the lower middle incision and the left incision that held the drain tube. Each day, it seems like a new little ache, some more noticable than others. One thing bad about being so short is it doesn't take long for you to quickly become a squatty square or box. You taller gals can pull it off better by appearing graceful, swan-like.

Delarla, I hope your port area heals properly.

Thank goodness we have Doneli to share he hands on experiences along the way.

Take care,

Swan like? Wow. That's a first. For a minute I almost felt beautiful, but then I started laughing cuz the grass is always greener on the other side! I spent my whole childhood taller than all the guys. I was the 2nd tallest in school. Then when all my friends were wearing their high-heels to dance clubs, I'd look like a circus freak. So naturally, only circus freaks hit on me. I was 6 ft in heels, yet only guys under 5 ft would hit on me. They'd stare way up at me and ask me to dance. So weird.

As far as being tired of puree'd foods, hey, it can't be much longer. I know youre diet will be harder to follow because of your gall bladder. Maybe you just need to add some different puree'd stuff. I loved my Cambell's Cream Soups when I was in that phase. Michelle also told me about refried Beans. I was able to eat them with cheese and hot sauce. I'm eating tons of hot sauce. I put it on everything. With my luck someone will respond with "no hot sauce if your're banded."

Neicy, you sound like my kinda gal! I've never been to the south but it's one of those places on the list of vacations I dream about.

I'm not going to worry too much about my kiloid since it's only been a month. I read about some scar Patches for kiloids. Nothing will make it disappear, but I'm sure I can get it to go down some. I wish it didn't look like a damn nipple tho!

Can a woman really have too many nipples? :cool:

I checked out the Neosporin scar Patches at Target - $30. I decided my scar wasn't bad enough to spend $30 on it. It's a little purple, but I imagine that will continue to fade with time. But DeLarla, once you heal up, I would definitely try those - they sound like magic.

New Hope, you only have to bypass the things you love to eat for a little longer. Once you're back on solid foods, anything is fair game. Even with a wide open band, you probably will eat less of everything than you did before.

Once you start getting fills, there may be some things that just aren't worth the trouble to eat. I've gotten really mad and resentful about that at least twice - oh, boy, do I LOVE Oscar's bread sticks!!! The first time I got stuck on one, I was furious. I wanted it so bad, but I just couldn't get it down. Later I was grateful, but not at the time. :)

Now I can eat them, because I have learned to eat more carefully, but it takes time and concentration to eat some of these more challenging things without getting stuck. So sometimes it just isn't worth it - I don't feel deprived, because I know I CAN have it, but I'm also going to have to devote the required time to get it down. Most of the time I don't have the "required" time.

That's one reason why I recommend taking the fill process slowly - it's easier on your body, but the real reason is it gives your mind time to adjust and regroup, and get okay with everything. That way you're less likely to eat around the band, because by the time you get that tight, you have already let go emotionally of some of the foods you are going to rarely eat.

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement and the great advice! I know each day gets better. I guess I'm just feeling a little alienated right now. I don't think I realized how much I focused on food. Going in the grocery store now, I bypass so many things that used to be a staple in my diet...ex. pastas.

Donali, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? A few inches really makes a difference on how the weight is spread out on you. You are so good to encourage all of us "beginners".