Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill amount according to BMI???

Hi, My doc said I have a smaller stomach yesterday so therefore I got a higher than average first fill. I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind posting your BMI and fill amount to see if it correlates.:rofl: I am just curious. He also said I would probably need to come back in a month or so for more. What happens if I max out before I even lose all my weight??:tired

Sweetie, don't worrrrry. I know that's easier said than done!

You're just getting started, and it's a long road, so take it one step at a time, and it will be a lot better for you.

What size/type of band do you have? I'm guessing a Vanguard with that big fill on a first fill...so it won't really make sense to correlate BMI's and fills, because there are different band sizes, too.

I get my fills under flouro (x-rays), and when I'm lying down, it looks like there is more restriction than there actually is. It's just the way my esophogus/body is. So, I have to stand up, and then be x-rayed again, and they can see the true nature of the restriction. Each body is different, works differently, and thus, each fill will be different, and should be adjusted just for you. It really won't help at all to compare yours to anyone's, because it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Does this make sense? I'm hoping to calm your worries, and help you relax and enjoy your own personal little journey...keep posting and asking questions! I learned about all these things from reading posts here at LBT!

Cindy

Laura--

I don't think that they do correlate....I think the docs do it based on their comfort level. My doc put 2.4cc in the first time....smiled and told me he will "make me miserable" but I'll lovehim when the weight is off....I did reallly well w/ that I think....then went back 8wks later and they took out 1.8cc (common to lose some the first 2 fills) and put back 3cc....I have a 4cc band....and it was seemingly fine and I drank 5 little cups of Water in the office....got in my car about 40mi away and drank one little sip and I promptly vomited all over myself.....went back and they took out 0.1cc.... under flouro....still struggling a bit...but weight is falling off!! Just FYI my BMI started at 46.....now haven't checked lately....

God BLess,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -70lbs :)

Yikes Melody! I can't believe he purposely over-filled you! I was over-filled for a month while we were trying to figure out if I had a leak or not. (I didn't, I had two bad fills while I was in exile.)

I think he knows you have "a smaller stomach" because he placed your band, and not because of the size of your belly.

Fills are very personal. I cannot tollerate a full 2 ccs in my 4cc band, where other folks are not tight enough with 2.5 ccs.

Hi, My doc said I have a smaller stomach yesterday so therefore I got a higher than average first fill. I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind posting your BMI and fill amount to see if it correlates.:) I am just curious. He also said I would probably need to come back in a month or so for more. What happens if I max out before I even lose all my weight??:tired

Does your doc use flouroscopy for the fills? If he does, then he probably put an appropriate amount of Fluid in your band because he could see just how restricted he was making you. But if he was guesstimating, I dunno.

Yes, It's Dr. Ortiz (actually Dr. Romero that did the fill) and they do use flouro. I have a 4cc band. He actually said It wasn't that much for my stomach size. My biggest concern is what happens if I max out and can't get enough restriction?? I know I shouldn't worry about that unless it happens but I am wondering if that has ever happened.

i've never had a flouro fill but my doctor gave me a pretty large first fill of 1.5cc's. my bmi was 35 so it may have been that or that she saw my stomach. it still took me 3.4 to get to good restriction though.

Vinesqueen--

Don't think he overfilled on purpose....it's up in the air what to do w/ me... when I drink the flouro stuff it goes through in 1 sec....I watched it....but yet I throw up if even take anything before 11am....this band is a challenge....it's definitely a learning process!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -70lbs :)

I cheated a little bit (supposed to only have liquids for a few days) and had a hard boiled egg and a couple of crackers last night.:rolleyes I felt full so I think I have restriction. Unfortunately, the full feeling went away after a couple of hours so I went to bed hungry.:angry