Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved On 12-12-2011 And Cruising On 1-15-12

I have lost 31 pounds since surgery on the 12th. Thank you to Dr. Marvin for your expertise and help in getting this accomplished. However, my wife and I leave on a seven day cruise on 1-15 and I need suggestions on what foods I might eat while crusing.

I would ask you surgeon what he wants you to be eating. I'd think that since you are one month out you can have pureed foods. You should stay away from the sugary carb infused cocktails and daquiris that are abundantly found on cruises. Ask for fruit smoothies instead and add in Protein to it so you stay full. I'm sure the cruise kitchen will get you any pureed food you ask for. They are there to serve you!

My doctor allows regular foods after 4 weeks. I have been on several cruises before and it really is possible to make your cruise WLS friendly.

If you eat in the dining room (as opposed to the buffet) you can request exactly what you wish to eat and will have many more WLS type options.

For Breakfast there is always eggs cooked however you would like, and you can ask for skim milk.

Tell your waiter that you don't want bread and he will remember and not continually offer it to you.

Main meal menus almost always offer a beef, a chicken, a seafood and a vegetarian offering. If none of those seem right, you can ask for something else. Worse they can do is say NO.

Portions in the dining room are generally small, you can always order just an appetizer and that would most likely fill you up. If you enjoy seafood that is usually your best choice. There are usually several Soups available.

Stay away from fresh vegetables and fruits at this point as they could be harmful to your sleeve this early out.

Some ships have deli's-you could order a sandwich with shaved meats and just eat the meat and cheese. Cottage cheese is usually available at every meal and so are things like mashed potatoes, applesauce and other "soft" foods that will be good for your tummy.

If you feel you absolutely MUST have a dessert they usually have several that are sugarfree.

I think the hardest thing will be when you realize just how little you can eat (that old-My eyes are bigger than my stomach-syndrome). You will find this early out that you will most likely feel completely full after only 2 or 3 bites-so choose those bites carefully to get the most benefit and enjoyment from the foods you do eat.

I recommend bringing Protein powder and one of those shaker cups to ensure you are getting your Protein in. I like the French vanilla Creme Gold Standard whey Protein from GNC. I mix it with lukewarm Decaf coffee. And I like the unjury chicken Protein Powder too. It mixes with just warm Water too.

I didn't enjoy fruit at 5 weeks other than apple sauce and a bite of banana. It was too acidic for me.

Have fun on the cruise!

Lynda

There will be a lot of options for you. Most ships have a buffet with fruit and cottage cheese available, plus there will usually be a Soup option, seafood (lighter on sleeves than chicken or beef, IMHO), eggs, slices of cheese and lunch meat, yogurt, etc. Most cruises also provide in-room meals if you request, and you can order off of a menu and be very specific.

I cruised in August and had an excellent and easy time finding appropriate meals. You'll have a blast!!