Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Just Got Out Of The E.r.....

So last night I started having an excruciating pain on my left side.. it happened before about 2 wks post op, i thought maybe gas so i went to sleep and woke up the next morning perfectly fine.. ok so last night the pain returned and i just figured ok go to bed and you will wake up fine..WELL I DIDN'T..

I actually woke up in 10 times more pain.. So I went to the E.R and spent 11 hours there.. they did a CT scan with the iodine test.. to test for leaks and other issues.. FOUND NOTHING WRONG.

Yet somehow im still in excruciating pain..SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AS TO WHY.

Now i understand why the right side may hurt and thats cuz thats where they removed the stomach.. but the LEFT SIDE????? Seriously what gives.

The doc just sent me home with more pain meds and told me to call the bariatric center.. which is exactly what im going to do in the morning.. but what do I do for now..

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS WEIRD PAIN ON THE LEFT SIDE... it almost feels like someone is stabbing me with a knife and its not really constant, but very sharp when i happen to move.

did the er do any blood work on you? I wonder if you have an infection. I sure hope you feel better soon!

Wow Blackanese25 I'm sorry your having such a rough time!

I had surgery a couple days after you on 12/16 and I was feeling great up to a couple of days ago I started bending and stretching in ways that did not bring on immediate pain but I knew I was pushing it. Next thing I know I got this sharp pain on my right side (under my ribs) that slowly shot to my left. It to was not a constant pain and I couldn't figure out what type of movement set it off. So I called my Dr just to make sure it was normal and he said as long as I was able to hold down food/liquids and go to the bathroom I had nothing to worry about. To take my pain meds (which I wasn't taking) and take it easy. Well I have and the pain is gone! Also I noticed that when I lay or even lean on my side for long periods of time it will lead to pain.

I really hope you feel better soon and you don't need to take another trip tp the ER! Please keep us posted on your status. Good luck!!

sassy, they did blood work and a urinalysis.. everything came back normal. So im assuming no infection thankfully.

Disappearing, I to have been working out and I thought maybe that was the culprit, but the pain was just excruciating, but its the only thing too... no nausea or vomiting. I can hold down liquid and food. I have energy, basically i feel fine other than the pain. im wondering if it is because move a lot in my sleep since im not used to sleeping on my back.. im a side/tummy sleeper... hmmm ill have to work on that.

thank you.. both of you.. i will keep you posted.. hopefully its nothing serious.

Could it be your gallbladder? I heard that when you have stones in there you feel a stabbing-like pain. Sorry to hear you are having issues. :(

my first thought was dehyration causing your kidneys to hurt, but the ER would have seen it in your workups. Sounds like it's a gallbladder issue maybe.

Now i understand why the right side may hurt and thats cuz thats where they removed the stomach.. but the LEFT SIDE????? Seriously what gives.

Blackanese...I think you may have typed that backwards. The stomach IS on the left side, so pain there would make sense. You should report the e.r. findings (nothing found, yet still severe pain) to your doc right away. The good news is that there's no leak. (correct?)

The gall bladder is high up just right of center and the pain is usually high center and feels like someone is running you through with a sword. I suppose the pain could refer to another spot. Gall bladder pain kicks in after you've eaten any food containing fat and does not let up until you either throw up or it just gets processed, which takes quite a while.

Just a few things to think about. I'd be buggin' the surgeon until you get some assurance that you're ok.

I actually had the exact same pain you described. It really became an issue for me about 2 wks post op and had not experienced that level of pain in the prior 2 wks and so I was conerned as well. It felt like someone was literally stabbing me with a knife. If I coughed, laughed, bent in a certain way, OMG, it was murder.

Basically, after FINALLY getting through to someone at my Dr.'s office (they never answer their phones believe it or not), they said that it isn't common but it can happen. Basically, they said it was likely a combination of a couple things. First there is such a thing a deferred pain. Meaning where the source of the pain is coming from may show up somewhere else. Second, it could be the final stages of the gas trying to get out of your tummy from the surgery and Third, that the muscles and "stuff" do get moved around a bit during surgery and it can take time for everything to heal up.

I would say it took another week, maybe 2 weeks for it to finally go away completely. Even getting in and out of the car to drive was painful because when I would lift my left leg in, it put pressure on the area that hurt.

Hang in there, you have been checked out, and I'm sure this will pass. Just give yourself time to rest.

It sure sounds like the stabbing pain I felt on the right side when I had my gallbladder removed...They didn't find it through the ct scan or blood work but after going back two days in a row to the ER they finally did what is called a NUK scan..and they found that the gallbladder wasnt releasing the Bial (not sure I spelt that right), but I didn't have stones, it was not functioning properly...and was backing up and giving me the severe pain....So glad I had it removed...

Best of luck!!

I don't think its my gall bladder cuz the pain isn't on the right side. And now i have the worst heart burn.. or at least what im assuming is heart burn since i left the ER. I keep have this feeling like there is something stuck in my esophagus and that it just wants to come up and hurts like the devil every time i feel it. I just feel miserable.

Basically the docs at the ER said they can't do much for me and that i need to call the bariatric dept. so thats what im doing today. But so far.. they still have no clue what the problem is. And good lord something they gave me yesterday is makin me itch like crazy!

also i wasn't dehydrated.. ive been really good about gettin in my fluids and FORMER im hoping its just that referred pain your talking about cuz thats how it was i tried to get in the car and i swear i was gonna die from the pain.

Ohh I forgot to mention ( I know we were talking on FB ) anyhow, sorry if TMI but how have your BM's been? I remember having excruciating pain one time in the abdomen and honestly turned out to be I was constipated. banghead.gif

lol no worries Irene.. my BM's are normal. no blockage or anything like that. And funny part is im still hungry. go figure. fat girl hungry. lol.

I am 2 weeks post op and have pain on the left and the right and somtimes at the belly button. I find if I overdo things i hurt a bit more. My left side is pain in the rib. The right I am not sure and the belly button, well after watching a video of the process, I can see why. There are some good vids on youtube which help understand why.