Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This May Sound Repetitive, But....

I am day four post op. I am feeling what I'm sure each and every one of you have felt. A little sick to my stomach, gas pains, a little diarrhea, not myself and even dizzy. I did great getting in Protein and Water yesterday, but today my first Protein Drink is going down very slow. I have very little energy and desire to even eat today. My gas pains are lower abdominal, just a little bit in the upper abdomen where you would think they should be. I will continue to sip, sip, sip all day. My real question here is that I planned to go back to work on the 9th. I am afraid if there isn't a drastic change there is no way I can even think about work. Is there a certain time frame when things start to "feel better".

I am not feeling the buyers remorse since I have been looking forward to this for so long. Just curious about the different stages and when things begin to feel somewhat normal again.

Congratulations on being sleeved!!! I felt considerable better after the 1st week. The gas took about 2 weeks for me to work itself out, however, my gas pain was in my shoulders instead of my stomach. I did find that getting out and walking each day helped a lot! Even if it is only for 10 minutes. I felt tired that first week I went back to work, but otherwise I felt fine. Everyone is different, but I think you will be feeling much better in a few more days. If not, talk to your doctor and try to take another week off work to recover.

Hope you start feeling better soon! And again, congratulations! It is such an exciting amazing process!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Day 8 was the "turn-around" day for me. Walking really helps get the energy level moving up. Take it easy at work, and no lifting.

I remember feeling almost "normal" 10 days post-op. The first week is truly harsh. Keep walking, sipping (water and protein) and remember that you have been through major surgery and LISTEN to your body. Rest as much as you can, soon this will all be a distant fuzzy memory. I think returning to work on the 9th is do-able, but remember this is your journey. You know yourself best and if you aren't ready then by all means take more time to heal. Be your own best advocate. Hugs!

Thank you ! I guess I just need to hear this is normal. It's ok not to feel like I should be cleaning house and getting ready for a marathon. As I said, I typically want to be stoic and be the best at whatever I do, but I want to lay low today. I am so encouraged by the people in here who have done so well. I know I have a wonderful Dr and my current health issues should be resolved and my biggest fear of future diabetes should be non existent. I truly want a healthier next 25-30 years with my husband. Again, thank you for the encouragement. Happy New Year to you all.

I went back to work after 6 days but I really took at easy at work the first week back and worked short days. I was still pretty tired and sore, but working was manageable (I have a desk job). I made sure to walk some every day, even if it was just around the block - the walking really helped me get rid of the gas pains quickly.

When I have surgery, my awesome mom said she would take off a week and help me with the kids and hubby will take off two or three days. I am extremely happy for the help because I know the first week will be like this. I have two kiddos, so I know having my mom here to help will be a great thing! I am absorbing all of this info so I can hope that when it happens to me, I'll know things to do to make it better. I hope you feel better soon and I cant wait to hear about your progress. Good luck with your recovery!! :)

I remember going to the ER bc I thought I had a blood clot, but didn't. I was about 5 or 6 weeks out and the ER doc looked at me and said, "you have alot of gas." There might be a leak. This was his non knowledge of weight loss procedure, and he did get in touch with a doc in Kaiser's facility that told him this is normal. This is before I learned about PPI's and acid making me feel hungry. My surgeon's office neglected to tell about PPI for stomach acid. I learned that from our site here. Love everyone here. Thank you everyone. Happy New Year! Banane57.gif

I do take a PPI, I usually take it at night, maybe I should take it in the am. As I had said before, I don't think my issues are out of the norm, but was hoping to jump right back into regular life immediately. I just needed reminding that this is major surgery and I am NOT young :-) In the hospital you have constant pain meds and IV fluids that I think make you feel so good that when you come home it's just a big difference. I have felt better as the day went on. Fluids and movement have helped a lot ... I've never wanted to pass gas so much in my life, just the opposite of what we 're brought up to do or NOT do. As I had said, my gas is all lower abdomen , very little burping going on. I feel like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloon . I'm sure part of that is the swelling in my new baby little tummy. I am home alone and this site gives me a place to talk it out since I have not shared this with everyone. Thanks for listening