Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet And I'm Freaking Out!

mel34 I'm with you! I start my diet tomorrow after a nutrition class and we have our surgeries close together- mine is jan 17! I only have to do 2 weeks of protien diet though. it will be hard but i keep thinking "all i have to do is survive this hour/day". taking it down to a day to day or hour to hour goal helps me feel better about keeping strict...... Good luck!!! it will all be worth it!!!!!!!

Yaaaay!!! I'm trying to get through day by day! believe me! it's easier now, but the headaches are killing me!! How are you doing?

Ugh, I can't imagine having to cook for my husband and daughter during the pre-op diet. They've been so supportive and considerate. Without me asking, they eat up and clear away leftovers immediately. It helps.

But that's good that your family is supportive!!!

Hello all, This is my first post :) Im getting my tests done to have my syrgery. Can i start the pre-op diet even if my doctor hasn't asked me to?

Congrats on getting your surgery and your first post!!! I think you can. It's mainly a very low/no carb diet for two weeks and then a week of liquids. at least for me it's like that. Have they told you anything yet?

Congrats on getting your surgery and your first post!!! I think you can. It's mainly a very low/no carb diet for two weeks and then a week of liquids. at least for me it's like that. Have they told you anything yet?

Thanks Mel :)

My dr appointment is on Sunday so i'll ask him then. For now, i'm staying away from the carbs and i've cut out sodas ( which has been EXTREMELY hard).

I have read that alot of pre-ops are told to do some sort of special diet for a time before their surgery date. Mine said nothing, except to try to lose as much weight as I can before the surgery (bearing in mind that this was 12/16 and my surgery date is 1/23...nothing like the holidays to spoin a good diet!). I have about 2 1/2 weeks until the big day and I am going to use the suggestions here and get used to some of the liquid Protein Drinks. Thanks for the info!

I have read that alot of pre-ops are told to do some sort of special diet for a time before their surgery date. Mine said nothing, except to try to lose as much weight as I can before the surgery (bearing in mind that this was 12/16 and my surgery date is 1/23...nothing like the holidays to spoin a good diet!). I have about 2 1/2 weeks until the big day and I am going to use the suggestions here and get used to some of the liquid Protein drinks. Thanks for the info!

Glad we can be of some help!!! Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

Okay guys!!! I need some help, guidance, advice, whatever you can give me!!! I started my preop diet today and I want to eat everything i'm not suppose to!! (2 weeks of high protien/low fat/no carbs and one week of liquids) Anywhose, I'm so scared I can't do this!! With problems at home and problems at work, i just want to eat to drown my sorrows. I'm stressing waaaay too much!! I know it gets easier but this sucks!! I just want these 3 weeks to go by VERY fast!! I don't know what to eat or do!! Well, i have it written down and all that, but I don't know what to eat. i know that doesn't make sense, but it's just overwhelming right now. banghead.gif Has anyone else gone through this???

This will probably be hardest moment for you right now. The first few days of any diet are the hardest. Keep in mind several things, first - you are doing this diet to shrink your liver in preparation for a safe surgery! Your surgeon will need to work his tools around your liver and the smaller and less slippery it is will be better and safer for you. I have even heard of some surgeons sewing the patient back up because the liver was too enlarged. :( Don't let this be you!

Second, any weight you lose doing this diet is a bonus! It will just bring you that much closer to your ultimate weight goal. You will also lose a lot right after surgery too... so say you lose 10 Lbs right now. You have 100 Lbs to lose (just an example) - well now you only need to lose 90 from the moment of your surgery. Likely you will lose 15 off the bat... LOL ;) So that would mean you only have 75 Lbs to goal... WOWW!!!

Third, just taking the first step toward weight loss surgery is demonstrating that you are ready to take charge of your life. Stop the insanity! Don't let your addiction convince you that you are not ready, because you just talking to your Dr. tells me that you are and that you realize you have a problem and are ready to fix it.

Hugs!! Keep posting here for support! That's what this is all about. We are all here for you, even just to hear you vent. That's ok too. :)

Thank you, Diva!!!

You gave me a lot of encouragement and support!!! I know i can do this but it's just hard! And yes, the pre op is to shrink my liver and that's what i'm focusing on. well, trying to focus on. I'm trying to focus on anything else BUT food! lol

You are a real inspiration to us all!! thank you again and I will keep you posted!! And believe me, I will vent!! a lot!!! lol

again, thank you!!!

This will probably be hardest moment for you right now. The first few days of any diet are the hardest. Keep in mind several things, first - you are doing this diet to shrink your liver in preparation for a safe surgery! Your surgeon will need to work his tools around your liver and the smaller and less slippery it is will be better and safer for you. I have even heard of some surgeons sewing the patient back up because the liver was too enlarged. :( Don't let this be you! Second, any weight you lose doing this diet is a bonus! It will just bring you that much closer to your ultimate weight goal. You will also lose a lot right after surgery too... so say you lose 10 Lbs right now. You have 100 Lbs to lose (just an example) - well now you only need to lose 90 from the moment of your surgery. Likely you will lose 15 off the bat... LOL ;) So that would mean you only have 75 Lbs to goal... WOWW!!! Third, just taking the first step toward weight loss surgery is demonstrating that you are ready to take charge of your life. Stop the insanity! Don't let your addiction convince you that you are not ready, because you just talking to your Dr. tells me that you are and that you realize you have a problem and are ready to fix it. Hugs!! Keep posting here for support! That's what this is all about. We are all here for you, even just to hear you vent. That's ok too. :)

I'm printing this and putting it on my fridge OVER the door so I actually have to move it to enter the fridge. Always good to have a voice of understanding, empathy and reason when you're about to lose your mind over that damned cupcake someone put in the fridge. :)

Yaaaay!!! I'm trying to get through day by day! believe me! it's easier now, but the headaches are killing me!! How are you doing?

OMG i thought i was the only one with headaches! I decided to try to wean myself off of coffee too (even though its allowed in my pre-op diet) so its either just withdrawls from caffiene or sugar that is causing headaches. also today (day 3 of diet) i started shaking and feeling dizzy which is scary. I emailed my dr to see if i should add something to my plan or stick it out. but its really cool our surgery dates are close together!!!

@circa: I'm very glad I could help!! Hang in there! Just imagine that cupcake as a big ball of fat sitting in your fridge... LOL

@christinaw: Headaches are a huge side effect from getting off the sugar. It does pass, hang in there! It is also caused from getting off caffeine too, so if you're getting off both, you have a double whammy! faint.gif Try to flush with plenty of Water. Also, I drank some Propel or Gatorade (regular) at times and that seemed to help with the edge. Of course please take your surgeons advice though!

@circa: I'm very glad I could help!! Hang in there! Just imagine that cupcake as a big ball of fat sitting in your fridge... LOL

@christinaw: Headaches are a huge side effect from getting off the sugar. It does pass, hang in there! It is also caused from getting off caffeine too, so if you're getting off both, you have a double whammy! faint.gif Try to flush with plenty of Water. Also, I drank some Propel or Gatorade (regular) at times and that seemed to help with the edge. Of course please take your surgeons advice though!

I talked to my doctor and she said that my headaches, shakes and dizzyness might be from low blood sugar so she told me to drink some apple juice if I felt any of that. Its really getting better and easier now though (although not easy enough!!!)

I talked to my doctor and she said that my headaches, shakes and dizzyness might be from low blood sugar so she told me to drink some apple juice if I felt any of that. Its really getting better and easier now though (although not easy enough!!!)

I'm glad to hear, sounds like the case. :) Feel better!! Though I know you will now.

First of all, YAY that you are so close to getting sleeved!!! I know how hard the preop diet is. I was an emotional mess when I was on it. I recommend keeping lots of the foods you are allowed for Snacks to help when you are hungry. I visited this forum lots and watched Youtube videos to help. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It is a huge challenge, but it is SO WORTH IT! The sleeve WILL change your life. biggrin.png

Hi All, So I have been following this thread and all the advice and I had to share my update. I posted earlier that I was freaking out also and this is the end day 2 of my pre-op. I jumped on the scale and I lost two pounds! In two days! The shakes taste like a$$- I"m using the GNC Lean protien shakes...ugh...I went online and ordered samples from some sites I've read people talking about on the boards. So Heres my thinking- as I am gutting through the shakes i Keep telling myself I am drinking liquid skinny. It's silly i know...but it makes them taste a little less chalky. I have no doubt that one of these samples will be the magic shake. Anyway...I'm less than 9 days from my sleeve. I think the pre-op diet is definately about getting my head in the game. My husband- god bless him, ate a ton of those little pizza pockets today during football. Normally i could down a bag of those without thinking...I had no desire today. PS> I had to start my diet a little later than planned due to a newly burst cyst on my ovary- I was out of commision for two days. I hate PCOS! I'm fine now...so no worries. The weight loss will help with the cysts forming and hopefully over time we can send PCOS packing! smile.png Just another benefit to my sleeve and another reason to do my best on the pre-op diet...I want this under control as soon as possible!