Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Labs And Cholesterol Levels

I am now just over three months post-surgery. I have some numbness in two of the toes in my right foot, so my regular physician decided to run some labs since the surgeon won't run them until six months post-surgery.

In December 2010 my cholesterol was 247. In February of 2011 I had gotten it down to 150. I was really hoping my labs would be at or close to normal, however, I just got the results and my cholesterol is up to 199! What the eff? My gastric bypass friend says it has to do with our bodies returning the food back to our systems more quickly (no idea what she's talking about) and that action can cause increased Cholesterol Levels. My LDL was 39 for reference.

Everything else was fine, somethings on the lower side, but nothing was too low or too high and all fell within the "normal range" I kind of expected my B12 to be low and for that to explain the numbness, but it was within normal range also.

Did anyone else experience INCREASED cholesterol post-surgery?

My 9 month post surgery labs cholesterol levels were >200 (after being lowest at 3 months, higher at 6 months but still normal). The total amount is 239. It certainly isn't what I am eating. I eat Protein and veggies and low fat dairy. My family heredity is my issue. I am working to get my cholesterol lower by adding oatmeal, flaxseed, flax oil, and Garlique tablets to my daily regime to see if I can get it lower by my 12 month labs. I am also upping the amount of exercise I do.

Pre-surgery I was on a statin, eating anything I wanted, and my numbers were way worse than they are now. (High 300's I think)I'm sure I could get below 200 with a statin - but would like to stay off of them. I will know in February - so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

In spite of the brainwashing out there, a normal cholesterol range is 200 - 220. Your cholesterol ratio, total cholesterol to your HDL number, is a better way to figure your heart attack risk than just cholesterol alone. According to the mayo Clinic:

"You can calculate your cholesterol ratio by dividing your high-density lipoprotein (HDL, or "good") cholesterol into your total cholesterol. For example, if your total cholesterol is 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), and your HDL cholesterol is 50 mg/dL, your cholesterol ratio is 4-to-1. The goal is to keep your cholesterol ratio 4-to-1 or lower. A higher ratio indicates a higher risk of heart disease; a lower ratio indicates a lower risk"

A low cholesterol score can actually be more of a heart attack danger than one around 220. It all depends on your ratio.

It sounds like it could be genetics. My cholesterol was 237 before my surgery and has gone down at my 3 and 6 month blood labs. It is 136 now. Did your doctor check your blood sugar? The numbness in my feet was the symptom I showed when I was diagnosed with Diabetes. My blood sugar is normal now and I take no medication but I would think that your doctor would check your blood sugar and perform an A1C test( 3 month average) to see your blood sugar level.

I agree with thebionicbroad, if you listen to most doctors and the Pharmaceutical companies, you would be on medication for everything.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches