Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Not Sleeping :(

Hey everyone!

I was sleeved on Dec. 7th, and so far everything has been progressing nicely (14lbs. down since surgery, and walking a good distance each day whoo hoo!) The only real roadblock I am facing is I am not sleeping well, or at all most nights. The problem is that pre-sleeve, I slept on my stomach...and well, it's going to be a bit of time before that happens again. I slept ok when I was on the meds (ohhh percocet), but I have been off any pain meds for a week, and my body will not fall asleep! I really hate taking sleeping pills, and don't know if I should be taking those anyway right now...any suggestions for a maybe more natural approach, or has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays everyone!!

Hi. I was a side sleeper and that didn't work for me for about a month. I slept in a recliner during that time as I couldn't be comfortable laying in bed flat on my back. Have you tried that? I didn't take sleeping pills during that time, but I did try to do a routine to get ready for sleep (somewhat effective). First a warm shower and then a warm drink. I also listened to music which seemed a great help. I have an album that I listen to when I have trouble sleeping. It has become a trigger to me and I rarely get past about the 3rd song before I drift off. Hope that helps and Happy Holidays to you too!

Oh how I missed sleeping on my stomach right after surgery. Like the other poster said I could not sleep on my side either. My hubby brought in my mom's recliner and I slept in that for a few days until I could sleep on my side. Eventually I was able to move back to my stomach.

I didn't try the sleep aid meds, but I did nap alot, whenever my body called for rest I did not resist it. I remember telling my mom it was like right after I had my children, you nap when they nap, catch that rest whenever you can. LOL your sleeve is a brand new baby, catch some Zz's whenever possible.

hi all - i'm 7 days post op. I've also been having trouble sleeping. i don't sleep on my or side - i sleep on my right side where of course the incision is.

I tried to sleep on my left side, but it still hurt alot. Basically i had to grin and bear it. I was in pain, but there was nothing i could do about it.

i'm doing better now. i initially will start sleeping on my left side (the better side) but eventually one side hurts when you're laying on it constanly. So i would go to my bad side, and lay ever so gently on it even it was about 15 minutes.

Like i said i'm doing better now, slowly but surely as they say. Heres to hoping we all some successful zzzzzzzz's tonight.

kathy

DOS 12/15/11

hi kathy again - surgery incision on right side, i meant to say i try and sleep on my left side.

i'm so tired i dont know what i saying LOL

kathy again

Hey everyone!

I was sleeved on Dec. 7th, and so far everything has been progressing nicely (14lbs. down since surgery, and walking a good distance each day whoo hoo!) The only real roadblock I am facing is I am not sleeping well, or at all most nights. The problem is that pre-sleeve, I slept on my stomach...and well, it's going to be a bit of time before that happens again. I slept ok when I was on the meds (ohhh percocet), but I have been off any pain meds for a week, and my body will not fall asleep! I really hate taking sleeping pills, and don't know if I should be taking those anyway right now...any suggestions for a maybe more natural approach, or has anyone else experienced this?

Yes!! I'm a tummy sleeper too. I used the Celestial Sleepy Time Tea, that really helped me. Or some warm soothing teas with melatonin. It was hard for me for the first month out because I couldn't get to sleep in my favorite position until around 2 months out. Also, I'd always wake up several times through the night to shift around due to pain.

Hang in there! Things will keep getting better and better. (((hugs)))

ETA: I would drink this about an hour before it was time for lights out. I'd lay in my bed, get warm, comfy and cozy and sip my tea. Before I'd know it I'd nod out. :) HTH

I have RLS (restless leg syndrome) as well as a cyclic sleep phase disorder, so I've been battling insomnia most of my life.

The only thing that has been working consistently for me was melatonin supplements. I take the 3mg sublingual melatonin from Source Naturals and they are a godsend for me.

When I had my overnight sleep study they recorded me falling asleep 12 minutes after I took one!

I recommended these to a coworker who seemed to have similar insomnia problems as I did and they didn't work for him, so YMMV. They are fast-acting, so take them once you are already in bed and ready to turn out the light.

Good luck! It sucks when you can't sleep, it can really ruin your whole life.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I will be picking up some Melatonin after work for sure! I don't have a recliner, but I might be able to prop myself up a bit with more pillows.

I can't say how much I appreciate the advice from everyone on these boards...I would seriously be lost with all the support!!purplebananna.gif

I use sleep aide from costco. I know that when healing, it is important to get our sleep. When I got home from the hospital, I had insomnia for 3 nights so I took my tylenol with cod to aid in sleeping. I hated this so I called the surgeon and they gave me the ok to take sleep aid. This has always worked better than any other medications I have taken for my insomnia. I love it. It's also not addicting. Good luck on catching your zzzzzzz's. ;)

Hey everyone!

I too had this insomnia problem from the night of my surgery. I do not sleep on my back, always side and tummy. i found that the recliner was the option since it would allow you to sleep without sliding down. Finally tonight after Inhad my drain removed today, I will try the bed tonight! Good luck!

I was a stomach sleeper and when I was pregnant with my daughter I obviously couldn't sleep on my belly. I used a body pillow and it helped me side-sleep very comfortably and almost feel like I was sleeping on my stomach, without any discomfort. I imagine that might be of some help in this situation too?

I was a stomach sleeper and when I was pregnant with my daughter I obviously couldn't sleep on my belly. I used a body pillow and it helped me side-sleep very comfortably and almost feel like I was sleeping on my stomach, without any discomfort. I imagine that might be of some help in this situation too?

I tried the bed tonight and no way! Had to come back down to the recliner. I think I will pick up a body pillow tomorrow and try it. Thanks for the idea!

Camomile tea, hot, does the trick for me. A stronger fix is catnip tea, which is sold in health food stores. The only thing is that the catnip tea should not be used when driving and it makes me tired in the morning so I rarely use it, but it does work fast!