Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Are Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery Diets So Different?

As I read through peoples posts it is amazing to me how different each surgeons post-op diet plans are. Start pureed foods at one week-two weeks-three weeks.

I saw one who requires his patients to stay on Protein shakes only until goal!

It can't just be concerns over healing, because my doctor puts us on an almost full diet at 2 weeks. Weeks one and two are full liquids and then two to four are soft foods (not mushy or pureed). It means almost everything except raw veggies and breads/pasta/rice.

Do you think the different plans affect the rate at which weight is lost? I haven't weighed myself since 1 week post-op (I am now 4 weeks post-op) and I worry that since I was allowed to eat so much so soon that I won't have lost much when I get weighed this week.

Or maybe if I have nothing to worry about, I'll invent something.

I think it is more important what is it we are eating, than in what form it is. In all the phases you can make your food as lean and diet friendly as possible, or as unhealthy as possible, it is all up to you and your food choices. For example, take mashed potatoes, a healthy version is mash the potatoes with low fat or fat free chicken stock, an unhealthy version is to mash them with heavy cream and butter. Both are mushy but one will definitely help you lose more weight than the other.

How can you get your Protein in on the clear liquids?

I'm actually confused over clear vs. full liquids? I mean, clear seems to mean you can see through it, but you can't see through broth or Jello, and when they say Jello, do they mean liquid or set, because if it's set it's not a liquid. Confusing.confused5.gif

Also, what can you add to full liquids besides the Protein drinks?

And does pureeds/mushy mean ANY food of that texture or true "soft" foods like yogurt, cream of wheat, cottage cheese?

I think it is because the surgery is only starting to be more widely used. There isn't enough research to develop a standardized plan of care. Even within my Dr's practice the varoius surgeons ask for different plans. You'd think all the Dr's in one clinic would be the same, but they're not. Everyone here talks about needing 70-90g Protein, but the dietician's at my clinic only recommend 50-60 and told me to not even worry about it the first month. I was told the body has stores for about a month and it's not like we won't get any protein that first month and completely deplete our stores anyway.

I noticed this as well, and I believe someone else posted something very similar to yours asking the same question before. I think it is because this surgery, by itself, is still to new. There is no standard because there hasn't been enough time to form one. The surgeon's are still learning the in's and out's of the details. I'm sure in 10 years there will be more consistency, like you would find with other general surgery procedures.

I think the people who are most successful are the people who took the time to do their research and chose the method that worked for them. I have learned that I am very carb-sensitive. If I am over a certain amount I don't lose, but the same is true for being too low. I know my limits and stick to them. I also think the people who are the most successful are the ones who make active changes in their beyond what the sleeve does. The sleeve doesn't prevent us from drinking milkshakes, etc. The people who are successful avoid these things for the most part. They simply learn how to do the treats as that, as treats. At least that is what I am trying to do.

Don't forget if you are around the 3 week mark, you are most likely going to stall soon. That seems to be normal no matter what diet you are on. I think it is the body catching up to the surgery, like your body just said "oh shoot, what the heck??" and kinda slows down until it gets used to it, then you start losing again. You could also be a stair-case loser... where you stall for a couple weeks and then drop and then stall and then drop. Don't be too worried about the scale, just remember it is a marathon and not a sprint!