Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Optifast Liquid Diet & Starving!

I've been approved for my surgery and have a date, December 20th!! Christmas is going to be kind of hard this year watching my family eat! I've been on the Optifast liquid diet for five days now and I'm starving!! I have lost 7lbs though. I have to stay on the diet until my surgery. It is an awful feeling that I won't be able to eat again for so long and then once I can eat I won't be able to eat much at all. I am really feeling depressed and hungry! I am trying so hard not to go to taco bell and binge! I keep telling myself that it is worth it and I won't feel miserable and hungry like this after my surgery. Do any of you feel like you are starving even after the sleeve??? Because right now I feel like my stomach is literally eating it's self!!!!

I felt the same way. I was on a 3 to 4 Protein shakes a day with a lean quisine for dinner and no snacking for 10 days pre-op. I thought I was going to go insane, especially with al the pot luck lunches and food smells in the office where I work. I literally could not cook because I didn't trust myself not to taste.

Once I got sleeved, it did get much better... just not right away. I have an addiction to food and I had not dealt with it. I was miserable and even went through the grieving process (all five stages). But I got through it and would DO IT ALL AGAIN WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT!!

I kept thinking that if I coulde be pregnant for nine months, deal with two large herniated disks for over a year waiting for financing for back surgery, and raise two kids, then I could do anything for a short period of time.

I know it seems that the time will drag on but it really does not. Before you know it, you will look back at your post and go, Wow, I made it through it!!

I would recommend talking to someone like a therapist or LCSW. Deal with your food issues as soon as you can so that you can get to a healthier relationship with food. There are also many books on Amazon that deal specifically with food issues, addictions, and WLS. Some of them can be downloaded to the Kindle if you have one of those.

Reach out like you did here and don't be afraid to ask for help. We are here for you and usually one of us has had the same or similar experiences as you and can offer encouragement or advice.

Remember, it can only go up from here as the numbers on the scale and measuring tape goes down.

Shae

The liquid diet is so hard! After surgery, you won't have the hunger there. Plus with the swelling and recovery from surgery, not eating isn't that big of a deal. I know this is such a difficult process. I was an emotional mess on the pre-op diet. It is so worth it though! There is nothing more wonderful than seeing yourself lose and reaching goals you never dreamed possible. The sleeve is going to change your life in amazing ways. I watched lots of videos on YouTube to help me as I waited for my sleeve and of course stayed on VST lots. I know the time will go by quickly and you will be sleeved before you know it!

markajd, Why is your liquid diet so long? I don't see your weight posted, but I was one of the heavier women here at 352 and only had to do a 2 week liquid diet pre-op.

It is tough getting through the pre-op portion of the liquid diet. Afterwards, you'll be working so hard to sip and get your water/protein in that you won't be hungry. Plus, the smaller stomach and sleeve swelling will eliminate the hunger feeling, or it does for most of us.

I confess that I did eat a pureed Wendy's chili during my liquid diet, but that was my only "cheat", and I lost 13 pounds pre-op. I don't recommend doing that, but it is tough to make it through. I didn't start drinking broth until after surgery, but maybe some warm broth would give you a soothing feeling now?

Also, I have read that some folks chewed ice to get through. My teeth won't handle that, but you might try that and see if it helps with the head hunger. It's just frozen Water, so not bad for you. If you're allowed SF stuff, maybe have some pudding or a popsicle to change up the texture?

Good luck on your journey!! :)

I have no idea why my liquid diet is for so long. They claim it is to shrink everyones liver before surgery but not sure how much of that I believe! I think it is too long!! I'm allowed one small meal a day and NO snacking except for cucumbers, celery and sugar free Jello. My starting weight was 245 and I'm down to 234. Tomorrow is going to be torture!!! All I can have is some turkey and veggies :(

im praying to be sleeved on dec 20th! i meet my surgeon on tuesday & my final 6th month appt is dec 1st! i dont know why your pre op diet is so long though. ive never heard of that. i actually weigh more than you.

I've been approved for my surgery and have a date, December 20th!! Christmas is going to be kind of hard this year watching my family eat! I've been on the Optifast liquid diet for five days now and I'm starving!! I have lost 7lbs though. I have to stay on the diet until my surgery. It is an awful feeling that I won't be able to eat again for so long and then once I can eat I won't be able to eat much at all. I am really feeling depressed and hungry! I am trying so hard not to go to taco bell and binge! I keep telling myself that it is worth it and I won't feel miserable and hungry like this after my surgery. Do any of you feel like you are starving even after the sleeve??? Because right now I feel like my stomach is literally eating it's self!!!!