Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Bandsters who are also AA's?

One year ago I quit drinking and started going to AA. If you've been there, then you know what I'm talking about. I gained about 30 lbs in that year I gave up alcohol. I replaced one addiction with another - food!

My fear is I will replace eating with yet another addiction once I have the band. On the other hand, my experience in AA gives me the strenght to know that I CAN kick an addiction, but it takes work and commitment.

Anyone else been there?

LittleBird -

I've been clean for 15 years and sober for 14. Nevertheless, I have the same fear. I think that, as addicts, we have to be very, very conscious of our addictive personalities and apply whatever program helped us to stop drinking to our eating as well.

Addictions are addictions. I didn't use AA to stop drinking, but I frequently use the same parameters to get past other things. We have to be realistic and not listen to other well meaning individuals who may tell us othewise.

I think it can be done....that's why I'm getting banded. If I didn't think it was doable I would remain the way I am.

I just saw on t.v. the other day, how 2 women who had lost over 100lbs each thru WLS have now become alcoholists. They said they traded the love for food for alcohol.:faint:

I saw that too - they said it only takes 17 seconds to "feel" the alcohol now. I don't think they had the Lap Band though...They were afraid that with all of the people getting bariatric surgery and it being so easy to feel the effects of alcohol that maybe a large # of bariatric patients may convert to alcohol.

No, they didn't have the bands......they had gastic bypasses

I am not an alcoholic but I have a very, very addictive personality. I am recovered from bulimia (which my therapist researched and it's right up there with drug addiction in the "tough to beat" category). I'll say that those "demons", as I call them, of my addiction will always find a way. They are sneaky and they are smart. I didn't have the urge to overeat and purge for a long time then one day, bent over the toilet, I realized I was overeating to the point that I'd PB every day. It was an old familiar pattern so back into therapy I go.

I'll tell you, it is a real big mind f*ck to lose a bunch of weight. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't. And when something changes that drastically, you want to go back to the old, comfortable ways of dealing....the addiction.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get the band...quite the contrary. I'm just telling you...your demons of addiction will find a way to prevail.

My therapist says that someone with an addictive personality can't really be expected to be addiction free. They have to find a way to transfer the addiction to something more healthy. She has a friend, an alcoholic, who now quilts. And the woman will stay up all night as this new addiction works, keeps her hands busy, and gives her a feeling of accomplishment.

I personally haven't found my new healthy addiction yet, but I've got a few I'm working on. Photography is the big one right now....

If you are going to get the band, I more than recommend, I insist you discuss this with your therapist (or if you don't have a therapist, get one). I have crumbled more than once on this journey and needed help to get back on track.

I know you can do this. It just takes work.

All of this is, of course, just my .02

I was reading this yesterday:

http://www.azcentral.com/health/diet/articles/0718wsj-addiction-transfer18-ON.html

They are talking primarly about "gastric bypass" which effects the digestion of the alcohol, but I think they bring a point that is worth looking at.

As a recovering alcoholic myself, I relize I need to find my "healthy addiction" before I have my surgery.

Tony Robbins says if something meets 3 of 6 human needs, it will become an addiction: certainty, uncertainty, significance, connection/love, growth (not physical), and contribution.

For me - I'm thinking besides finding a new "excersise" addiction, it might be helpful to do so in a group/support way to create the accountability and "contribution" and "connection" factor - helping others while helping myself too.

I do feel that I've isolated myself - since I quit drinking especially and don't want to make that mistake with the band.

This is so great to hear, I was sure that I was alone. The first thing to do is find support. I'm not brave enough to start a support group here because that requires that I admit Ihave a problem. (Im just not there yet ) but if someone starts something Iwill absolutely join.

I had the opposite problem. My drinking was one of the biggest contributors to my weight gain. I liked drinking the sugurey stuff. I gave up my habit about 1 week before starting the preop diet. It has been ruff because that is what I did on the weekends and now it seems as if there is nothing to do. Friday nights just arent the same anymore. :eek:

Male lapbander here---23 years sober in AA. I was banded 4-15-07, and haven't really felt any need to re-place my addictions. (So far). Good luck on your path-----Mark