Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Out -- What Do You Eat?

Went from a size 22 to a size 14 (which is LOOSE) :smile1: ..........

Not in the fat girl sizes anymore...........get to go to the normal racks which is kind of weird..........

That is just so awesome. this thread is SOOOOO useful to me, thanks to all of you for sharing what works for you when you go out and how to manage special ordering. I really like the ala carte/sides idea too. Although it will be a long time post-op before I can do any of these, I'm going to save a link to this thread! This is awesome!

Keep em coming, I'm sure everyone will appreciate the suggestions!

I just wrote about my two recent experiences eating out at three weeks post surgery n I'll write again about this upcoming sat nights outing on my content in the thread titled "1st day of my gastric sleeve Surgery journey" http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/25168-the-1st-day-of-my-gastric-sleeve-surgery-journey/page__st__40

:0) if u r interested in reading that. For me it's a big learning experience n experimentation so far.

This was also an issue for me. Our family eats out a LOT so I was worried how that would work for me. Basically we didnt eat out for the first few weeks until I was on solid foods. Now we eat out several times per week and I take bites off of my husband and kids plates. I almost never order my own meal unless its something that I can reheat and eat at home for the next few meals. Even when we eat out I try to make healthy choices. You will most likely never eat another salad again after you get your sleeve. It sounds odd to be "on a diet" and not eating salad but lettuce is simply a filler and you do not want fillers once you are banded. Every bite you take is important and it should almost always contain Protein. If it doesnt, you shouldnt eat it. Hope that helps! You are going to LOVE the sleeve, its the best thing that I ever did for myself!

Snoopy, this has been my experience. It was really funny going out to lunch with a friend who asked, shouldn't you be eating salad or something and I told her that Protein was what I had to eat first. I'm doing ok with eating out, similar,either eating from others plates or ordering something ala carte. At first I was kind of pissy*, but now as I look to starting regular diet this week, I realize how freaking cool it I that I can still enjoy eating out and eat soooooo little.

I am going out to eat for the first time tomorrow and I am excited about it. I would like to go to Cheesecake Factory sincethey have such a huge menu and a great light menu. Can't wait!

Hubby and I went out Friday night with our son then again alone on Saturday afternoon. Friday night was Mexican, I ordered chicken tortilla Soup, and side refried Beans. I ate the chicken and avocado from the Soup and a couple bites of Beans, took rest of beans home, left the broth. Saturday he ordered a pulled pork salad with extra pulled pork, a small potatoe salad and a plate. I ate about 3oz of the pork with a little salad with balsamic vinaigrette, and a tbs of potatoe salad. It was such a treat!

Love my sleeve, sleevedreamer you will do great!

Went out to eat for the first time Firiday night. Met friends at a new Mexican rstaurant. I ordered huevos rancheros. It was HUGE! Was three layers of crisp tortilla, with two eggs and black Beans and cheese.I wasn't sure about the crispy tortillas ( since i didn't eat any chips)' so I just started at one side at forked off small forkfuls and ate slowly.

Couldn't eat very much at all, but what I did eat was all protein! The main thing that was hardest for me eating out, was everyone was drinking coke or iced tea while waiting for the food, and I couldn't. That 1/2 hour both ways thing is still very hard for me to deal with! The next time I will probably try an appetiser, but they didn't really have any here that I thought I could have. I probably will eat off my hubby's plate.

Went out to eat for the first time Firiday night. Met friends at a new Mexican rstaurant. I ordered huevos rancheros. It was HUGE! Was three layers of crisp tortilla, with two eggs and black Beans and cheese.I wasn't sure about the crispy tortillas ( since i didn't eat any chips)' so I just started at one side at forked off small forkfuls and ate slowly.

Couldn't eat very much at all, but what I did eat was all protein! The main thing that was hardest for me eating out, was everyone was drinking coke or iced tea while waiting for the food, and I couldn't. That 1/2 hour both ways thing is still very hard for me to deal with! The next time I will probably try an appetiser, but they didn't really have any here that I thought I could have. I probably will eat off my hubby's plate.

I'm in the second month of my six month supervised diet program before I can be approved for surgery. Not being able to drink before, during and after my meals was my biggest concern, believe it or not. But I started cutting down on the amount I drank with my meals on the first month. My goal this month is to only drink half a glass with a meal. I've been surprised at how easy this has been so far. I'm the girl that always has 3-4 refills so I'm pretty pleased that it's not as difficult as I feared. Of course, I haven't gotten to the point of no drinking at all...

I'm really enjoying this forum. It's very helpful for those of us considering/preparing for VSG. Thanks to everyone who shares here!

I am 15 weeks out and I am still having a problem with waiting 1/2 hr. before I drink after eating. the doctor says I can change it to 15 miuntes but if I feel too full, wait the 1/2 hour!

There are lots of good suggestions in this thread! I'm glad it got bumped up. Here are some of my favorites (I eat out a lot because of my job):

Qdoba - kids naked steak or chicken burrito - no rice, with pinto or black Beans, pico, salsa verde, shredded cheese and a bit of sour cream.

McDonalds (yuck, but in a pinch) - grilled chicken ranch snack wrap - I remove most of the tortilla and sometimes dip it in their buffalo sauce

Mexican - fajitas (steak or chicken) - I skip the tortillas and just make a little fajita salad on my plate, there are always TONS of leftovers for the next day!

Italian - usually some sort of grilled chicken dish - if it comes with a side of Pasta I just have a bite or two. I also like to order Pasta with meatballs & marinara sauce - I eat the meatballs, some of the sauce and just a bite or two of pasta.

Greek - chicken kebabs or a greek salad with grilled chicken

I'll think of some more later and add to this thread!!

I don't know about you all, but I love chili verde and used to get the burritos all the time when I went out. Now I just order them "en plate" (on a plate without a tortilla). so good, and of course have enough to bring home and have an over easy egg on top for breafast the next morning. I put some of the Rice chips with it (they taste just like tortilla chips to me). LOVE MY SLEEVE!

Hubby and I ate out just today, tomorrow is my 5 month surgiversary and I had pulled pork with a side salad. I ordered just meat to go so it came to me in the container already and a small side salad. Gave hubby the crutons, and put a couple tablespoons of meat on my salad, put just a bit of spicy BBQ Sauce (sugar I know), and used balsamic vinaigrette.

Yummy.....

I also travel for work at times, so I grab a rotisserie chicken, weigh out 3 to 4 oz and put in baggies without skin. Add in a few premiere Protein drinks, some home made jerkry, raw natural almonds, baby bel cheese rounds, premiere Protein Bars cut in half, waters and crystal light packages (love the iced tea and raspberry tea) and I have food no matter what :)

Smiles,

Sandy

I crack myself up...the other night we stopped at Cracker Barrel ...I used to get the "big breakfast".......what was I thinking? I ate the over easy eggs and was STUFFED..........oh well.....usually my 4 year old and I share so she ate the rest..........it is weird what your head wants and what your stomach can hold is two different things.

On the good side.....I am down 75 lbs.....YEA!!! Went from a size 22 to a size 14 (which is LOOSE) :) ..........

Not in the fat girl sizes anymore...........get to go to the normal racks which is kind of weird..........

Lol, i totally agree with you when you say your head wants and what your stomach can hold is two different things! That is so true! I too, think its really weard. I have been eating a certain way for so long that I know I cant eat like that but my head is telling me that I want ALL of it. Lol. Im not surprised at all when I take a few bites and I say, Im full. lol. I love my sleeve though, Im 6 weeks out and I am still getting used to it. It is truly weird!

This thread is soooo helpful!!! Thank you all that responded!!! Being a sports mom we are ALWAYS on the go. Excited now!!

This is a really great thread. Thanks to all participating. I am curious to hear what some of you veterans can share on how much you can eat now versus where you were at three months.

I can pretty much tolerate anything as long as I chew well and don't over eat. The real question is how much volume may I be able to increase over time? If it does increase, at what point does the sleeve stop growing?