Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Image After Lap Banding...

Did anyone think alot about how their bodies would look with the weight loss? I keep wondering if I will look a little like I did when I was in my 20's... How will I look in the face; will I lose my double chin, have a more sculpted look, will my cheekbones show again? Will I be able to feel my collar bones again, will I be able to feel my hip bones again? Will I lose it too fast for my skin to "bounce back"? I am 51 and I know that I am not a spring chicken anymore. But I fear looking older and drawn in the face. It really is a trade-off, isn't it? I mean, I may no longer need to use insulin for my diabetes, I won't be too short of breath to go up a flight of stairs without resting. I will be able to bend down and tie my shoes comfortably. I will be able to walk longer on the treadmill, fit in the carnival rides with my 13 year old son, maybe even be able to wear cordouroy pants again...

Maybe I am "overthinking" this...obsessing over this. For the last few years as the weight was increasing, I slowly began to withdraw from activities I used to enjoy -- I will be opening up these opportunities, again. Why am I so intimidated by the possibility of being the person I used to be? I should welcome and embrace this. Thanks for letting me vent....

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I'm waiting to be accepted as a band candidate. My main motivation for the surgery is to live longer with a better quality of life, to "be there" for my 11-year-old daughter.

I haven't thought too much about what I'll look like, probably because when I've lost weight before, my abdominal skin hung down like an apron -- yuk. I'm looking forward to the benefits of the surgery, because I'm like you -- short of breath climbing stairs, have withdrawn from things I used to do, etc. When I find myself thinking "OMG I'm so fat! I look awful!" etc.

I now say to myself "Not for much longer!" Then I feel this sense of relief--I don't have to feel bad forever and am taking control of this problem.

It makes sense to me that you might feel intimidated. This is a big life change, with a lot of specific postop unknowns. Are you by chance concerned that losing the weight will "uncover" problems you used to stuff down by overeating? I sure am.

It's really great that we have a site of loving people to help us. We can post feelings like this anytime and know we'll find compassion and support.

Nancy

I'd definitely have to say I look "older" in the face in that at 39 for the first time in my life I can now see some lines - frown lines and one side I have a deepish line in that nasolabial fold from your nose to mouth. I also have a little bit of crepiness under my chin, obviously from losing a chin or two. I've got deep set eyes anyway, I was always going to have a problem with dark circles and shadows as i aged, but its suddenly become much more noticeable.

But I look immeasurably healthier too - I've lost the horrid bloated fat look and that more than cancels out the small signs of aging. Looking around me, I'm not bad for 39 so I try not to think about it or worry about it.

I am going to have a bit of crepey loose skin on my abdomen too - I never knew whether or not three pregnancies had left their legacy because I was well padded out, but it is there, however I'm lucky never to have carried much on my tummy, so definitely no apron or tummy tucks - but I dont think I'll be wearing a bikini again either. Its just going to be a bit loose, not bulky.

My boobs, sigh. I've breastfed three children for six years in total so there's no mystery why they look the way they do. I might fix them up, then again I might not. I dont really care that much, I can dress up and look fine, its not like I walk round naked in public.

I was 56 when I was banded (almost 2 years ago). I have lost 97 pounds and I think my face has held up pretty well, but I have some major bat wing arms and my thighs look like they are kind of melting down into my knees.

Everything's a trade out, I guess.

Here are side-by-sides of my face, before and after.

post-204296-13813133781586_thumb.jpg

post-204296-13813133781792_thumb.jpg

I hear ya, OP.

I absolutely raise my hand and will admit: "I had Weight Loss Surgery to look better."

Yes, horrors! :faint:

I did it for shallow reasons. I was fat, but my cholesterol was enviably low, my blood pressure low, my aerobic capacity was quite decent. I had no signs of diabetes or hypertension but I was just fat. :rolleyes: Fat, Fat, Fat.

I'm single and fat - which is the equivalent of being invisible, especially in a bar.

So anyway, I had the LapBand to look better, and I'm hoping my face catches up with my weight loss. I'll be so p*ssed if I have to have a Mini-Face Lift or some kind of Botox while I'm still in my 30's just because I lost weight.:guess

We'll see.... :)

I didn't think about it before I was banded, because I'd never been thin or even normal so I had no idea what that would look like on me. Now that I'm within 30 lbs of a normal BMI, I have gotten some idea, and frankly I'm happy to stop where I am. More weight off me will create more hanging skin, and since I'm not yet willing to consider more surgery it would just make things worse. I'm now curvy in a normal way, which in itself is a complete revelation to me, so I'm happy with that degree of transformation.

As for my face, yep, I see my 44 years written on it in a way that wasn't evident before. But I also see facial structure that had been hidden for those 44 years, and to me that's beautiful.

I was 56 when I was banded (almost 2 years ago). I have lost 97 pounds and I think my face has held up pretty well, but I have some major bat wing arms and my thighs look like they are kind of melting down into my knees.

Everything's a trade out, I guess.

Here are side-by-sides of my face, before and after.

[ATTACH]5679[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5680[/ATTACH]

Carlene,

You look beautiful to me -- before and after. Thanks so much for your input.

Rachel

Hi Rachel, I don't think there is any shame in wondering what you will look like after losing weight. I don't think it is all that vain, and besides, I think a little vanity is good. Not a lot, but a reasonable amount :rolleyes: And New Sho, I don't think there's anything wrong with your reasons either.

Rachel, I would look through all the before and after pix on that thread, I'm absolutely astounded that just about everyone looks years younger after they've lost the weight.

And don't worry, I dont' think Bandsters have to worry about waisting away to nothing, especially since we don't have the malabsorption issues to worry about.

Besides, if anyone points out how you've aged, you will have the energy to run them down and kick the living crap out of them. :)

Hi, Rachel!

I'm 50, so we're close in age...it's so hard to compare ourselves to others, since so much of how we age depends on our family genetics...but losing weight will give you back your activities and stamina, and gosh, that's gotta be worth a few extra wrinkles and some loose skin. Even if we had been thin the whole time, we'd have some wrinkles and loose skin, right? I mean, under normal non-celebrity lifestyles anyway? LOL!

I've noticed some looser skin under my chin, but the alternative was a bunch of fat, so who's to say which is more attractive? I'm never going to be 20, 30, or 40 again. I like where I am now.

I think wherever you end up, it's going to be great!

At my current MO weight, I always get comments on how I look so much younger than my age (I'm 35, people tend to think I am 27ish). I am sure when the weight comes off so will the padding that keeps my face looking youthful.

I am dreading the loose skin and wrinkles, but cannot wait for renewed energy.

I've lost 50 lbs, 50 more to go & at 50 I look younger than ever. (50 seems to be a theme here.) May get some wrinkles & sags after more is lost but hey, I can handle it. I feel great & that matters most. Be good to yourselves!

Like others, I have never been thin. I have had thinner times in my life when I starved myself and lost the weight. I looked pretty good, but it never lasted long. Now I'm 51 and bigger than I ever was. I know there are going to be some trade offs. But, now I'm a grandmother and being around for those kids is more important than anything, even my looks. People think I'm younger than I am and I know that will change, but I'll feel younger once the weight comes off and that's worth everything.

I also think at 41yrs that as I loose weight I will start to look older.

I had my surgery a week ago. Whilst I was in hospital 3 nurses came in to change my dressings before I was discharged. We were having a laugh about my scars and I told them the scars didn't bother me because they match my C-Section scar. One of the nurses asked me how old my baby was when I told her 15yrs they couldn't believe it......they all thought I was in my late 20's!

I suppose ageing facially is going to be a trade off for getting a younger looking body.

Like Vines says though, I think you end up looking younger as a total package, despite any lines or wrinkles.