Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is getting cold after weight loss - result of MORE blood vessels?

I was chatting with someone who is a physical therapist the other night, and while they aren't a doctor I was wondering if what they said could be true.

He said that he had known a few people who had a large weight loss like I did and that they were all cold all the time. He claimed that as we get fatter and fatter the amount of skin also grows and with it the amount of blood vessels increase as new vessels are formed as the skin stretched out to service the new larger areas. When a person looses the weight the blood vessels do not quickly (or maybe not at all) get reabsorbed and what we are left with is an increased amount of blood vessels over a smaller area of skin and servicing a smaller mass of muscle and fat.

He explained that besides perspiration the blood vessels near the surface of the skin also play a part in cooling the body, indeed it is the blood itself that delivers the moisture to the skin that collects and is expressed from the sweat glands. So the reason we are all cold is that we have a far more efficient "radiator" than most people of similar size that have NOT lost weight and NOT seen the increased amount of vessels.

While this sounds pretty good I was wondering if there are any Drs or nurses out there that can confirm this?

All I know is I used to be a sweaty guy ALL the time, as I got fatter it got worse, now since +170 lbs of weight are lost I am freezing all the time and rarely ever perspire enough to notice.

i am not a doctor....however i have heard the same thing before.. this is also why we are hard to operate on, due to the excess blood vessels we have an increased chance of bleeding.

I agree with Rhondalynn, this is very interesting! I've never heard about this and look forward to reading some responses on this thread. The only thing that came to mind is my very petite sister in law who was always very cold. For years we would tease her for feeling chilly in the summer. Now, years later, still petite, she is experiencing feeling too warm - probably due to changes in hormones. But how is it different for a person whose always been small? I always assumed it was less fat layers to keep her warm!

For what ever reason, I defo feel the cold more now I am smaller... Interesting...

Well, I've heard a lot of theories, but this by far is the most detailed. As far as knowing why myself, I don't. All I know is I'm cold all the freakin time, even in Summer. However, if I do get over heated it's really bad... like heat exhaustion bad.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches