Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probably a dumb question..but..

I know Water is good for you but what is the purpose for all the water intake and what is the purpose for drinking after you eat instead of while you are eating? Is it ok to drink flavored or any healthy liquid..does that count? I'm not sleeved yet but trying to get ahead of the game. I know you that are already sleeved are the people to ask. Thanks..

I was told any sugar free, non caffeinated, non carbonated beverages count for my fluids - I count Soups, milk, Water - all of it. You have to stay hydrated after surgery just like you do now before.

The reason you don't drink while you eat is so that your sleeve stays full. You don't want to wash down the food with Water. This will empty your sleeve and you will be able to eat more than you want to. I sometimes sip water with my meals, but it is very hard for me to drink much when I am eating. My doctor let me count any noncarbonated fluids, like water with Crystal light in my daily water intake. Water really does help you lose weight by flushing out all the hormones and toxins in your body as you burn fat. It makes you feel better too.

I think I should own stock in those Crystal Light "On the go" packets....they are my lifesaver.. I'd never be able to drink the required amount of water/liquids on a daily basis. i know everyone's dr. tells us something a lil different, but my dr said it was fine to drink with my meals. THen I read on here that many are saying that's a no no...so I called my dr and asked again, just incase I missunderstood in the beginning of my journey, again, he said it was fine. so...i'm drinking Water w/ crystal lightwith all my meals. (my thinking on this is....If I get full faster because i'm drinking liquid with my meals, the more weight i'll lose) I'm thinking it's working, as i'm close to goal after 5 months.

Try to stick to sugar free things.....and high Protein drinks. Try to eat only Protein foods and veggies. you do this, and you will drop lbs like crazy. I don't eat anymore cause i'm hungry, I eat because I have to stay on track and feed my sleeve. (Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack) and no grazing in between.

Keep a waterbottle with you from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed.

Best of luck!

Donna

Just do as your Dr, instructs, that's gonna be best!

The purpose of all the Water is hydration. You cannot drink a bottle at a time so you drink throughout. Also, unless you like hard stools you want Water to keep them soft.

Water is water. coffee, sodas, juices do not count as water. Yes, you can add flavorings and have it count as long as it is water.

see, lots of answers here. . . good luck to you and never think your asking a dumb question. . the only dumb question is the one not asked. . . so please ask away!

i just cant drink with meals. it makes my food come right back up with those lovely burpys. then its all slimy. totally gross. all the liquids help flush out the fat as well. you can count all liquids except those we arent allowed to drink anyways ;) you know which ones :)

I love this question. I remember specifically asking my nutritionist about what counted as a liquid. She said "everything that's a liquid" (LOL)----seriously, she said my Protein Shakes, crystal lights, Water, (which is pretty much all I drink) counted toward my daily intake. I'm not sleeved yet---but this is the type of questions that really help us out. Thanks family--Blessings2u--BJ

One of the main reasons we have to drink so much, is because people with normal stomachs/diets get much of the liquid they need from food. Reduced food=increased need to take in liquids to supplement. I was also told one of the reason for not drinking while you eat is because the liquid will fill up space that you need for food, since you can't get much in. But I suppose it can also wash food through more quickly as well?

I noticed increased nasuea if I drank anything close to eating. I was told that Fluid intake with or near consuming food may increase nasuea in some.

All your responses are appreciated! Some are really "need to know" answers.