Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting depressed

I dont know if this helps.. but I have lost close to 100 pounds and I didnt excersize or follow the rules at all and have done a ton of things wrong and my band has only been filled "right" about 1/3 of the time I was banded..

So, imagine if I was a better bandster and had good fills!!

I swear, if I can, anyone can!

Hang in there.....try visiting the "Who has lost 100 pounds" link. I truly believe the key to success with the band is RESTRICTION...RESTRICTION...RESTRICTION!! I know other bandsters who are very reluctant and even scared to get to the point where they can't eat their favorite foods anymore. However, it has been my experience that if I am properly restricted, the weight melts off. I have been all over the charts over the past year with multiple surgeries (resulting in unfills with every surgery) then struggling to get back to my sweet spot. Through all of those ups and downs in my fills, the one thing that I know in my heart is that I not only need my band, I need to to be functioning as it was designed...to be a restrictive tool and keep me from eating the large portions I have been used to.

If you can achieve proper restriction, follow the bandster rules, and make the most of each and every day with your band...I am confident that you can and will be successful. Hang in there and good luck with your surgery!

First to FunnyDuddies:

Keep in mind that you are going to find mostly bad stories here because people who are having dificulty are the ones that are searching out support groups.

Huh? What does this mean? Most Bandsters I know have strong support local groups.

a majority of the people doing really well are not spending time on the board.

Now, come on!:) I guess I have to totally disagree with this.

I know many successful Bandsters who spend time on boards. I didn't realize people only came to the boards when they have a problem. I do agree that when people suffer complications, they are comforted by being able to come online and share experiences/commiserate - but that doesn't mean that those who are successful find no value in coming back to the boards. There is a great mix online.

I think it's natural for newer patients and PreOps to think "oh if I get to goal weight, I'll never need to come back to the boards" but the reality is, even some veteran Bandsters find that they have information to share, and sometimes things to learn.

Remember this is an ongoing journey - there is no one day that you just simply end because you made it to goal, or because your band has been in one year or etc...

To the Original Poster:

No one surgery, including LapBand surgery is right for everyone.

It would be great if we could only say "I only want to hear the good stories." That's fine, but you also have mentioned that you're concerned about only losing 1-2 lbs a week.

Well...If you honestly have doubts about the slower loss rate with the LapBand, then certainly discuss them with your surgeon and other medical professionals that you trust. (Sometimes friends, family, co-workers have their own agendas and prejudices and it can be difficult for them to be objective. Talk to more than one Weight Loss Surgeon, if you can, including some that do both LapBand & RnYs.)

Yes the LapBand statistics quote a loss rate of 1-2 lbs a week. This, quite honestly, does not ensure that you will lose 52-104 lbs your first year, but it's possible. Now your individual loss rate will depend on your start weight, your own metabolism, your activity level and how careful you are with your restriction level (via getting 'fills.')

So not everyone is guaranteed to lose 52-104# after a year. Some will lose more :clap2: and some might only lose 3/4 of a pound a week (or 40-50# their first year) but LapBanding isn't a sprinters' race to lose quickly, it's about the whole entire race overall and being healthier .

And that doesn't work for everyone. A very close friend of mine wanted only to lose quickly due to an aggressive schedule she has (biological clock) and she chose the RnY. No problem - she did fine, although her loss still took her a bit longer than she expected even with the RnY. But with her rather-iffy compliance, a LapBand would have taken her much longer and time was a big concern for her. So she's pleased.:)

If your main concern is the speed of your loss (rather than other considerations) then you certainly should weigh whether LapBanding is for you (as opposed to the RnY Bypass and other forms of Weight Loss Surgery.)

Hopefully the many success stories here and on other places on the website will encourage you about LapBand results - but if it's not going to be a good fit for you, then it's perfectly fine for you to be honest with yourself and your surgeon.

Good Luck with your decision, and your Weight Loss journey.

To the Original Poster:

No one surgery, including LapBand surgery is right for everyone.

It would be great if we could only say "I only want to hear the good stories." That's fine, but you also have mentioned that you're concerned about only losing 1-2 lbs a week.

Thanks. I doubt came form all of the BAD stories. SO yes, I do want to hear some sucess stories. It is human to want more than may be given to you, and I will be the first to say I would like to loose more than 2 lbs a week. BUT after everyone helping me I KNOW now that it is better to make a change that will last forever than a quick drop that will never change me! The problem is me, not food. I want to know that someone else has felt the same way!

Thank you to all of you. You actually helped me greatly! Thank you!

Hugs to all.