Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biotin- How soon post-op?

I know several people say that Biotin doesn't help with Hair loss but I have taken it for years to help my already thinning hair. I'm so afraid I will be go completely bald that I would rather do everything I can as soon as I can. How soon post-op do people start taking biotin?

I'm doing liquid vitamins now and haven't tried any pills and just wondering how my sleeve will handle it. Only 3 weeks post-op.

Good question! I hope someone has a great answer. I am just a few days from my surgery and am worried my already thin hair will all disappear. I started taking Biotin a couple of weeks ago hoping it will prevent my loosing what hair I currently have. Best of luck!

I started Biotin a few months before surgery, and it was helping then, because I had a lot of new growth coming in. I wanted to get a jump on things. Most Vitamins I have been able to take ok, but I had to switch a couple of times on the multi, some gave me a queasy tummy. I prefer liquid softgels when I can get it in anything I have to take. I am using Nature Made Multi Complete with Iron Liquid Softgels.. It also has Vitamin D3 in it. I got it at Walmart for a fairly reasonable price, it's probably available other places also.

I was instructed to wait one month (4 weeks) after surgery before taking Biotin. I was actually given biotin, coq10 and Flaxseed oil - as a "hair" boosting trio. I still lost a lot of hair but at almost 6 months out, I've noticed the loss has really slowed down. I also have about 1/4 inch regroth all over! My hair stylist noticed first!!! In the meantime, I use some really cute hair extensions! LOL Seriously, they look great! :--) Loosing my hair is still soooooo worth it!!!!!

bump on this. I'm wondering what the "prevent hair loss" cocktail amounts (Biotin, coq10, flaxseed oil) are?

I know they may not help, but if it would help anything at all, would like to do so. I was taking Biotin preop, and I know there is SOME in my multi, but probably not at the level needed.

Also, when do you start using nioxin? When you start seeing Hair loss, or before? Anyone know?

I am still pre-op but I have been taking hair and Nails plus, I noticed my nails were stronger but it gave me an upset stomach so I switched to GNC's beBeautiful Vita-pack. It irritates me much less and I have noticed my skin is getting better. Maybe too early to tell for hair. It is pricey, but I got mine on sale for $19 for a 30 day supply. I am nearing the end of 1 month on it.

I have used Nioxin for years. So I think starting now would not hurt at all. Even when my hair wasn't shedding I continued to use it and it performed wonders for me. I was thinking of purchasing their Vitamins as well.

Hmm good question I was wondering the same- I'll be going to my two week post op on Weds and will ask my dr. :)

Ok so asked my Dr today at my 2 week visit and he approved me to start taking pill Vitamins ( I have a pill crusher just in case) calcium citrate, b1 and B12, Iron and Vitamin C and Biotin :) Starting tomorrow!

Ok so asked my Dr today at my 2 week visit and he approved me to start taking pill Vitamins ( I have a pill crusher just in case) calcium citrate, b1 and B12, Iron and Vitamin C and Biotin :smile1: Starting tomorrow!

Hello Shells,

After my surgery I will have to take the same Vitamins that you are now taking. My question is. Were you able to find the calcium citrate, Iron and B12 in a chewable form? If so where at? I have been looking just in general cause I wanted to start stocking up on them before surgery. But nothing chewable. I am going to try GNC today and see what I can find.

Edited by Pashion

ExcelLynT and Losermomma...I am a licensed Barber with LOTS of experience with Nioxin...it's safe to start using the Nioxin now. Before the loss begins if you like. Just know that Nioxin acts to cleans your hair and scalp by way of eliminating any hair from follicles that may have become dormant. In order to cleanse out that follicle in hopes of it re-activating at some later point. Don't be surprised if you start seeing a little more Hair loss before you start noticing it growing back. That process can take 6 to 8 weeks of use.

Also, don't bother with the Nioxon brand Vitamins as they are EXTREMELY COSTLY, much more so than Biotin or hair skin and nail formula and are the same thing...stick with the Biotin and save your money. Nioxin has a Follicle Booster out now that I do recommend. Its awesome and can jump start the follicle re-activation process..please let me know if you need any other hair related tips...this is my specialty!!!

And most of all even though ur hair is falling out some, still get trimmed once in a while and use a good conditioner....deep conditioning once a week while massaging your scalp will help. Any way to keep the blood flowing to the scalp is awesome...brush it out at night, every night with a bore bristled brush to spread the natural oils through the hair shaft ....and get a good Shampoo brush...use it when shampooing and conditioning...I hope this helps!!!

Stacey

Hello Shells' date='

After my surgery I will have to take the same Vitamins that you are now taking. My question is. Were you able to find the Calcium Citrate, Iron and B12 in a chewable form? If so where at? I have been looking just in general cause I wanted to start stocking up on them before surgery. But nothing chewable. I am going to try GNC today and see what I can find.[/quote']

I haven't had any problem swallowing pills at all. I take a Gummy multi, vita chew Calcium, but I can take B12 and Biotin pills. They are really small.( I ws sleeved on 3/9:)