Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am really amazed at the differences in dietary timelines.

I've been experimenting with mushies since 5 days post op. The liquid diet was not cutting it so I moved on. My drs. plan involves 10 days of clear and then 10 days of full liquids before mushies! I just couldn't wait that long.

I've been experimenting with mushies since 5 days post op. The liquid diet was not cutting it so I moved on. My drs. plan involves 10 days of clear and then 10 days of full liquids before mushies! I just couldn't wait that long.

What have you tried?

I'm on Dr. Aceves' plan too. Wow, it's been tough to go the full 10 days from step to step. I have four more days of mushies before moving to solids, and I've been beside myself for 2 days now. Overeaten Protein at night. Just can't seem to stay satisfied for more than a half hour or so. I think I'll make it, but if the next few days are like the past few, I'll be gritting my teeth a good deal of the time. Ugh.unsure.gif

i was just at my 1 week post op appt yesterday and talked about this with my surgeon. He and the hospital are one of the Centers of Excellence He is one of the more liberal ones with the diet. 2 weeks prior 2-3 protien shakes a day 5 fruit and veg with a dinner consisting of a Protein , carb and vegs. In the hospital you are on Clear Liquids, you are released on full liquids. I am on a soft diet for the next 3 weeks. however I can have whole grain crackers. No rice no Pasta.

My Dr said in the beginning the surgery was so new so everyone was very cautious but as time goes on and more data is gathered they can see that you did not have to be so cautious. He puts you on omeprazole in the morning . It is not so much the possibility of a leak but what your inflamed stomach can physically handle and heal.

He is also doing a survey on the barium swallow. He stated that the barium swallow done the day after has never caught a micro leak in his or his partners practice. however is has aggravate alot of nausea and has caused vomiting to where people have had to stay another day. The barium swallow was more instrumental when they were still hand sewing the stomach verses the current stapling method

I totally understand how hard it is going to be to stay on a liquid diet for as long as the doc wants. I just know that what I cannot trust myself when it comes to food or I wouldn't be where I am needing the surgery. I am going to have to keep telling myself that when I am so mad at the Dr. for starving me for so long. I feel for every one of you that has had to go through this. I'm not to far behind....

If you are having trouble with getting enough Protein during the liquid phase, try Syntrax Nectare Protein powder. It was mentioned during my Bariatric classes. It has 23 grams per scoop and can be placed in Water, non-fat milk, or other liquid. It comes in different flavors. I bought the vanilla Torte and it's REALLY good! I was surprised! One drink 3 times a day will give you the 60 gm per day you need in the beginning post-op. I bought it on-line. Try Google it. Oh, yea... I bought different flavorings from the baking/ spice section in the market and use to change the flavor. Since vanilla is easy to combine, I now can make strawberry-vanilla, vanilla-rum, orange-vanilla, etc. No extra calories and only a few drops per glass.

elise

Surgery date: Nov 16

Kaiser patient at

Pacific Bariatric

San Diego, CA