Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really struggling now

I did two weeks on the milk diet before I was 'officially' put on the milk diet for four weeks. I was doing just fine. Very hungry, but sticking with it. I had lost quite a bit of weight, almost two stones and was reasonably happy. Then, they had to go and change my Water tablets ( it had to happen because I kept getting very low on potassium) The new tablets are just not doing such a great job. The first day on the new tablets I gained three pounds (had to be water) the next day I gained another two pounds (again it had to be water). So I still have three days until I get weighed officially and today I broke and ate some food. All Protein, but still shouldn't have done it. I was so fed up when I weighed myself today (before the food) I had gained 11 pounds since Wednesday, my odeama is really bad, my skin feels so tight and painful and I feel sure that by next Tuesday I will have gained another six pounds of water at least. I just feel so miserable right now. They had told me that if I didn't lose the required amount of weight (which I almost had) then I would not be allowed to have the surgery (british hospital requirement of the NHS).

I shall of course tell them exactly what has happened but I have an awful feeling that they won't accept that I had lost the weight. I know they will be able to see I am retaining water but then I was before too. I just don't know which way to turn and am feeling a little desperate right now.

Here's praying things work out. It sounds like the milk diet really worked well for you. Prayerfully the Water weight will be under control by the time you have your next doctor's appointment. You've worked so hard and if for some reason your surgery is postponed, when you do have it I'm sure you'll do well.

Be encouraged,

Niki

Thank you Niki,

I was really discouraged yesterday, but I do feel a little more positive today. I can only do my best and hope they will let me through. Thanks for the encouragement, it is surprising how much it helps when other 'sleevers or sleeves to be' offer their support. I really am glad that this site is here as without it, everything would be so much harder. :huh:

I am sorry to hear you are struggling. I would have to imagine they might be able to see the extra edema, I hope, and have a good discussion about it, particularly if your Water pill changed and not believe you just didn't do things right. I hope! keep with it, you've had a great loss I am impressed. What is the milk diet? Do you just mean liquid diet? Did they want you on it that soon? That seems it would be so hard to do it for six weeks pre-op. I am still learning as a newbie. I have a three month wait period and had my consult last week and my first medical diet supervision appt tomorrow that I guess will start the clock officially ticking for the three month period, so I have yet to laern what will be required of me.

I'm sorry you are struggling and feeling anxiety about the Water weight gain. That is bad that you had to change meds and it's affecting you this way, but they should be able to understand. Try to get in a lot of fluids, perhaps that will help your body start releasing the water you are retaining. I am sending you positive vibes for a good outcome and a surgery date soon!

:)

The milk diet is a strict liquid diet but does not include Protein drinks like the American liquid diet does. Basically I am allowed 4 pints of semi skimmed milk over the day along with 1 pint of oxo and a couple of pints of squash or diet drink. Oh and a sachet of sugar free jelly. We have to prove we can stick to this diet for the four weeks and must lose 5% of our body weight or we are not allowed the surgery. I think things are quite a bit different in America, I just wish I had the money to pay for the op but I don't and will just have to keep jumping through whatever hoops they put before me.:(

Thanks KellyL, I am drinking as much as I can and keeping everything crossed for Tuesday afternoon (my appointment with the scales). I really appreciate the positive vibes as I need all the help I can get at the moment. Love the quote you have about shooting for the moon, what film is that from? I know it is one of the golden oldies but can't remember which one.huh.gif

That sounds like a very harsh diet.

I hope everything goes well for you and your edema is resolved.

Thanks Oregondaisy, it is a pretty harsh diet but I have been on it before and survived. You get used to it. I am still having a lot of Water problems and look a bit like the goodyear blimp at the moment. I go tomorrow for the weigh in and will hear what they decide then. Keep everything crossed for me.unsure.gif

Tomorrow will they be able to do something about your Water pill??? Surely they will see the new one isn't working and you need something stronger to get rid of the water. I would have been tempted to take 2 of the new ones to get rid of the water but that is a me thing not recommending that for you at all. I am sorry you have so many hoops to jump through. I hope they will not count this against you getting your surgery date. Hopefully we can be sleevies together. Lots of good thoughts and prayer angels to you !!!!!!