Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months out & need help getting back to basics!

Hello,

I'm almost 6 months out and have lost 95lbs. I've done very well up until about a couple weeks ago. It seems I've lost my way . I've been stuck in the 170's for a WHOLE month now and am not happy about it. this isn't normal for me. I generally have been losing est.16lbs per month except for this one which has only been about 8-10lbs.

I admit i haven't been making the healthiest choices. I haven't necessarily been eating MORE, my sleeve is well intact,but I've slipped up by eating no-no foods,:nono: i.e., sugar,bread,cereal, CARBS. I want to rectify this but it seems like i almost don't know "how". Sounds weird probably but it's like I need to start over and get back to the basics. But where to start? Should I start out with Clear Liquids again and progress like in the beginning? Or do a couple Protein Shakes a day with a small meal for dinner? Like I said, I feel LOST. I need structure here. I'm not going to let my "golden year" slip by making the wrong choices. I refuse!!

I am very upset with myself for letting this happen.:banghead: I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't been losing either. I've actually been losing and gaining the same 3lbs for about a week! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you.:help:

Hello,

I'm almost 6 months out and have lost 95lbs. I've done very well up until about a couple weeks ago. It seems I've lost my way . I've been stuck in the 170's for a WHOLE month now and am not happy about it. this isn't normal for me. I generally have been losing est.16lbs per month except for this one which has only been about 8-10lbs.

I admit i haven't been making the healthiest choices. I haven't necessarily been eating MORE, my sleeve is well intact,but I've slipped up by eating no-no foods,:nono: i.e., sugar,bread,cereal, CARBS. I want to rectify this but it seems like i almost don't know "how". Sounds weird probably but it's like I need to start over and get back to the basics. But where to start? Should I start out with Clear Liquids again and progress like in the beginning? Or do a couple Protein shakes a day with a small meal for dinner? Like I said, I feel LOST. I need structure here. I'm not going to let my "golden year" slip by making the wrong choices. I refuse!!

I am very upset with myself for letting this happen.:banghead: I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't been losing either. I've actually been losing and gaining the same 3lbs for about a week! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you.:help:

First off, congrats on your amazing weight loss!!! I think your still doing great. None of us are perfect. A couple of flubs here and there won't kill you.

I have not been sleeved yet, but from what I have read, if you google 5 day pouch cleanse you can see that a lot of people have tried it.

I heard it is rough but it brings you back to the non carb days. I guess it helps with your carb cravings.

If I'm ever in a rut, that's what I plan on doing.

You have come so far, you can handle this small bump inthe road.

Good luck and congrats!!!!

This is the first I have heard of the 5 day pouch test. It sounds like a good reality check and plateau busting tool though. I think you should definitely give that a go, if you feel like you are in a rut and falling off the "no bad carbs: wagon, so to speak. I am only 2 months out and haven't become complacent yet, but I will keep this pouch test stuff in mind in case I need it. BTW, I think you are being too hard on yourself. You have lost an AMAZING amount of weight and I am envious. I would be ecstatic with a 95 pound weight loss at 6 months and you should be proud of that too as well as the fact that you are being proactive,recognizing that your are develpoing a bad habit before it becomes a lifestyle again. I am proud of you, and you should be too. The carb monster is a hard one to beat and so easy to fall prey too even after you think you've beaten it. Good luck!

You have truly done a fabulous job in 6 months, but I know you want to get things going again. You can do the 5 day pouch thing or liquids, but you may have just as good results by increasing Protein and Water, and leaving out the carbs. It will be hard the first few days cuz of the carb cravings, but then it will be easy again. Just clean out your fridge and cabinets and only keep stuff you can have around you to avoid temptation. I know it's difficult. I do so well thru the wk, but on the wknds when we socialize more or around others and more stuff is available, I get in that mindset, maybe I am not losing fast because I'm not eating enough carbs or calories. All these voices that help me sabotage by justifying eating the wrong things. I haven't gone to overboard, but I've had a little baked potato or something.. When I'm home and only keep good stuff in the house though, it's way easier to make good decisions. Good luck, you are doing great and gonna be fine.

:)

I'm in the same boat as you. I started taking my master's classes again, and on top of full time work and parenting. I'm overbooked. so I've been stress eating and gained 3 pounds. I have realized what I am doing and I am trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes 5 or 10. I finally reached my 100 pounds down from when i started my WLS journey with my lap band in 2008, and I really do not want to get back to where I was. I have not been exercising, and have not really been drinking too much Water, mostly iced coffee! I know I have been adding carbs to my diet and I know what I have to do to get rid of them, i do not think the pouch test will help is as we do not have a pouch, we have a stomach all be it smaller. we have to do a cleanse or cold turkey it to get the white carbs/sugar out of our systems, and it is going to SUCK big time!!! Last night i ate about 15 oreos, then I felt like crap for 2 hours! but today the scale showed 1 pound down, but tomorrow it will be back! I just have to stop and get the crap out of the house like Kelly said!!!

I agree with Kelly: I think you can succeed by returning to the basics: Dense Protein first and get your fluids in. Write down what you eat and drink, including the grams of Protein. You should be shooting for at least 65 grams of protein and 64 oz. of Fluid per day. Try to get your protein from food and you won't have much room for the bad stuff. If you are not exercising, start. Even just walking more every day. Write down your exercise too.

And don't be mean to yourself! Everyone falls off the wagon once and a while. The winners are the ones who climb back on! You are working on it or you wouldn't have asked for help. So besides doing the stuff that will get you back on track, set a mini goal and a reward for yourself. Maybe something when your number starts with 16? Or when you've gone all day without any bad carbs? For me, rewards and goals can be small or big- I like them all!

Lynda

May I ask how on earth you ate 15 Oreo's?????? OMGoodness!! That is something I could have done pre-sleeve, but not now. I couldn't hold 5.

Man, you must have felt crappy.

Kelly :huh:

I'm in the same boat as you. I started taking my master's classes again, and on top of full time work and parenting. I'm overbooked. so I've been stress eating and gained 3 pounds. I have realized what I am doing and I am trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes 5 or 10. I finally reached my 100 pounds down from when i started my WLS journey with my lap band in 2008, and I really do not want to get back to where I was. I have not been exercising, and have not really been drinking too much Water, mostly iced coffee! I know I have been adding carbs to my diet and I know what I have to do to get rid of them, i do not think the pouch test will help is as we do not have a pouch, we have a stomach all be it smaller. we have to do a cleanse or cold turkey it to get the white carbs/sugar out of our systems, and it is going to SUCK big time!!! Last night i ate about 15 oreos, then I felt like crap for 2 hours! but today the scale showed 1 pound down, but tomorrow it will be back! I just have to stop and get the crap out of the house like Kelly said!!!

Congrats on your brilliant weight loss to date.. I agree with all the comments above! You could try the pouch test, I did it at the beginning of the year and although I didn't lose much weight (a pound, surprise surprise) it did get me 'back in touch' with my sleeve.

I also think that upping your Water is a good suggestion too...

This is a temporary thing, I am sure and it might just be your body's way of having a 'whiff' and getting in balance again?

Good luck with the last stretch

May I ask how on earth you ate 15 Oreo's?????? OMGoodness!! That is something I could have done pre-sleeve, but not now. I couldn't hold 5.

Man, you must have felt crappy.

Kelly :huh:

Well, it did take me about an hour. I was watching tv, hubby just told me we owed the township $1500 for the sewer bill seems he was forgetting to pay it. And the kids were out riding their bikes. I grabbed a sleeve and went to town!

Miters36- I feel like I could have written your post myself. We started at about the same weight, have lost about the same weight & have about the same amount to go. Like you I am just past 6 months & have been losing & regaining the same 3 pounds for the last 2 weeks. It is so frustrating. And the days when I feel like I've done a good job seem to be the days when the weight actually goes up! I'm sure I am eating more carbs than I did at 2 months out, but I really don't think it has been much. I'm thinking I'm hitting my first real stall & after having the weight fall off so easily at the beginning, it is just FRUSTRATING! Good luck & let me know if you figure out something to break the stall. I need help, too!

Krista

i am here now...except I am 5 mos out...I hit my 100 LB goal and have been within the same 3 lbs since then.

i can do well all day but evenings after work are a nightmare...i am totally craving carbs/sweets HELPPPPPPPPangry.gif

Thank all you wonderful ladies for the advice. I am going to try the 5 day pouch test in a day or 2.

Hope it goes well, I just can't give up now when I'm so close! I'm going ALL THE WAY this time!

I'm really glad to know I'm not completely alone in my feelings of despair. I just want to get to the finish line. Thank you all!

i think you have done wonderful,im 6 months out as well and have only lost 50 or so pounds..im loosing really slow!! i also cheat from time to time but thought i was on track for the most part.can u tell me what u typically eat in a day so i can see what i may be doing wrong?